We stayed in December 2013 for two nights. We lived in SD years ago and would walk in La Jolla around the hotel and commented on how nice the hotel looked. When we arrived, our room was not quite ready, but were told they would notify us when it was. So we decided to go and have lunch and while at lunch, we were called to say our room was now available. Our bags were in the room when we entered, which was nice. the view was outstanding.....ocean view with a huge picture window. If the weather had been slightly warmer, it would have been nice to have opened the windows to listen to the ocean! Rooms are furnished well and the bathroom was large. The closet was very big!
We had valet service for our rental and we would just call when we were ready to leave and the car was waiting for us!
We chose to stay at the Grand Colonial for its central location in La Jolla.....walking distance for most things. Starbucks is just up the street!
The only thing I can say negatively, was on our second day.....when we returned in the late afternoon, we found our room door left slightly ajar. Perhaps the room attendant did not pull the door completely closed, but thankfully, everything was OK.
We had heard about the possibility of seeing the long time resident----the ghost.... but not on this visit!!!
The Grand Colonial is an outstanding hotel and hope it celebrates another 100 years!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the seaside Village of La Jolla, just 15 minutes north of downtown San Diego, the Four Diamond Grande Colonial offers classic European styling in the intimate setting of a boutique hotel. For more than a century, the Grande Colonial has been one of the most esteemed hotels in San Diego. But beyond the turn of the century architecture, our true hallmark is our warm, friendly staff and gracious service. We take pride in preserving the heritage laid down by our founders more than 100 years ago by providing the finest experience in first class accommodations. And just as those founders envisioned in 1913, the Grande Colonial remains today a classic hotel that rivals anything in the West. Commanding views of the California coastline, the Grande Colonial overlooks the shores of the Pacific Ocean and is ideally located just steps away from miles of beautiful beaches renowned to Southern California. Within walking distance are world-class shopping, dining, and entertainment and within a short drive are an abundance of golf, recreation and visitor attractions.The hotel features 93 air-conditioned, non-smoking guest rooms and suites (some with fully-equipped kitchens and fireplaces). With its ideal location, gracious service and environment of extraordinary comfort, the Grande Colonial hotel provides the ideal destination for travelers to La Jolla. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Grande Colonial La Jolla reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Grande Colonial La Jolla Hotel La Jolla
- Grande Colonial Hotel La Jolla