“Realy enjoyed my time here”

Grande Colonial La Jolla
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed 7 April 2010

I am finally getting around to a review (going on a year later). We stayed 2 nights here and 2 nights at the Hard Rock San Diego. I loved this hotel. The rooms had a vintage charm but I loved the subdued yet modern decor. The big bolster pillows were great! I loved the bathroom style/decor. The partial ocean view was fine for me. I didn't care for all the bird poop on the the building next to us but I just tried not to look at it. The ocean was gorgeous so that's what I focused on. The bed was so comfortable that we almost bought that exact model when shopping for a new mattress set a few months after our trip. The concierge gave us all the info on how to purchase but we actually went with a latex bed. I digress.

Service was impeccable. Everyone was sincere and friendly. We ate at Nine-Ten and I fell in love with the Lobster Risotto. Yes, the restaurant is expensive but worth it for the food. Front desk called us a car when we asked for a cab and we were very appreciative of that gesture. We felt very comfortable just chillicating in the lobby. Of course, great location. I really want to go back to San Diego and if I do, I will stay at the Grande Colonial La Jolla again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Grande Colonial La Jolla

Reviewed 2 April 2010

We stayed at GCLJ for 3 nights. We stayed in room 235. They upgraded me from a much smaller room when I mentioned that I thought there would be a pull out couch. We had a suite with ocean view, a living room and a kitchen. It had pocket doors that separated the LR from the bedroom so we had some separation from our children. We had the bed and breakfast package. We loved it because the breakfast selection is excellent! It's gourmet. The staff was friendly and helpful. The location cannot be beat. You could walk every where. The restaurants in La Jolla are AMAZING! It is great place for shopping, eating and hanging out. The best part is you could walk everywhere. It's really paradise there. I will definitely return to the Grande Colonial La Jolla.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 April 2010

Colleage got a great rate for us. I got a big room with a sea view, staff were very helpful. Hotel has character, really nice change to the chain hotels. Recommended.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 March 2010

We spent three nights at The Grande Colonial in a Junior Suite with an ocean view.
The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Our room was clean and I must say that
the bed was very comfortable. The location is great, too.

On the downside, the bathroom was ridiculously small. There was no counter space except
for the top of the toilet and in an adjoining room/closet. The lighting was terrible for putting
on makeup, as there were only halogen light bulbs in the lamps. The safe in the closet was
on the floor in the back corner and almost impossible to see into. And ... there were stains
on the carpeting.

We only had breakfast in the restaurant, but most of the chair seats were stained.
"Turn down" service meant just that... the bed was turned down, but no towels were changed
or trash emptied. The last afternoon at about 5:20, the maid came to turn down the bed, but
we were dressing for the wedding and asked her to come back in 1/2 hour. We did not have
"turn down" service that night.

Not sure if I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
GrandeColonial, Director of Marketing at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2010

Dear Grammajudy:
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback about your recent visit to the Grande Colonial. As I’m sure you are aware, the hotel was originally built in 1913. While we have continued to make improvements to the hotel (most recently investing $8 million into the guest rooms and suites), we are a historic property and, therefore, changes to the general size and architectural shape of the rooms cannot be changed. We do understand that the size of the restrooms in the main building is smaller than those of a newer hotel. It is because of this that during our most recent renovation, we added 18 new suites to the property with significantly larger restrooms. Each one has custom-built cabinetry and drawers allowing more space for the occupants, as well as Caesar stone countertops providing ample space for make-up and sundries. Half of the restrooms also have oversized soaking tubs while the other half have walk-in showers with adjustable body jets and oversized rain shower-heads. (Let me also add that each of these 18 new suites have fully-equipped kitchens, which make for ideal rooms for bridal parties to get ready.) As for the lighting, we do try to maintain our green standards and have installed more energy-efficient bulbs. (We do offer the standard bulbs upon request. I’m sorry this was not relayed to you at check-in.) Your comments about the restaurant are duly noted. We will be renovating the restaurant this spring adding all new tables, chairs, fabrics to the banquettes and artwork. I hope you will give it another try. I have also shared your comments about turn-down service with our guest services manager. Clearly our standards were not followed and I appreciate you bringing that to our attention. And finally, thank you for your comment about the safe in the closet. You are right…it is a little hidden. We will look at ways for making it more accessible. Thank you again for providing your feedback. I do hope you will visit us again in the future. Leslie

Reviewed 19 March 2010

Just stayed for two nights. The hotel was very comfortable and had an incredible location overlooking La Jolla Cove. The restaurant and our server each time we were there were fantastic. Make sure to get the Bed and Breakfast package. We would love to return

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 March 2010

The hotel is located right next to the beach. Definitely book the rooms with the ocean view. Although the hotel itself is old, it is nicely renovated and it is very clean. The staffs were nice and friendly. The thing we didn't like was the water pressure for the shower. It would be nice to have a stronger shower flow. The other thing we didn't like was that the hotel charges $22 for valet parking. We were lucky to be able to find street parking right next to the building so we didn't have to pay but considering the number of street parking spaces in the vicinity, I am positive most of you would need to valet.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2010

Hotel was very clean. Staff was very friendly and helpful with recommendations and overall. There was some street noise on Saturday night-some car and loud talkers-until about 11:00 pm but not enough to warrant complaint to the hotel. If that isn't your thing-pay to stay with an ocean view.
The restaurant was EXCELLENT. Ordered room service one day for breakfast and got lunch in the bar. Everything was tasty and reasonably priced. I would recommend the restaurant even if you don't stay there.
Everything was great. Location was very convenient to walk to anything I wanted to do.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends