“Perfect Choice a Small Business Conference”

Grande Colonial La Jolla
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed 12 November 2010

The Grande Colonial was an outstanding home for our four-day business conference with 25 guests from around the country. The scale of the hotel, meeting facilities (the Sun Room is a marvelous venue for a group our size - character aplenty without the sterile, windowless feel of most hotel meeting rooms) and private dining events were just right. The meeting facilities perfectly adjoin the hotels public spaces, guest rooms and adjacent (and marvelous) restaurant - the 910.

The hotel did a great job working with us to plan meals, refreshments, optional activities - and executed on the same with perfection.

Questions were answered quickly - needs were addressed immediately.

Rooms were clean, classy, many with outstanding views of the Pacific.

All of the amenities in La Jolla village were right outside the hotel's doorstep.

I simply cannot return to the Grande Colonial in La Jolla soon enough!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Grande Colonial La Jolla

Reviewed 10 November 2010

I was at the Hotel Friday and Saturday, Oct. 1 and 2nd, all of the employee's were very helpful, from the time i arrived until the time I departed, my room was very clean and orderly, i had a beautiful view of the ocean, the bar/restaurant was excellent, the food was very good and reasonably priced. There were plenty of stores nearby for shopping. I had a great time being there, as soon will return.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
GrandeColonial, Public Relations Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2010

Dear Rbboltz:
What more can I say in response to your very positive comments than...THANK YOU?! I really appreciate you sharing your feedback with us and I look forward to sharing that same feedback with our entire staff. They are truly the ones who make it all happen. So glad you enjoyed your visit. Hope to see you back soon.
Leslie Araiza, Director of Marketing/Public Relations

Reviewed 9 November 2010

Spent 4 wonderful nights at Grande Colonial with 2 friends. Room was very comfortable...beds/pillows were great. One friend loved being in the room to lounge in the guest robes - thought the were scrumptious. When we reserved the room, we asked if we could have mini-fridge and coffee maker, which were there for us when we arrived, even though 2 1/2 mos had passed since the request. We asked for a 3rd robe, and it was brought to us almost instantaneously. Not only was their service quick and friendly, the front desk called to be sure our request had been filled and to see if we needed anything else.
This delightful hotel even has windows that open --- fresh air, what a wonderful thing.
The staff was outstanding.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends

Dear Pkendrick:
I am delighted to read your comments about your recent visit to the Grande Colonial. It sounds like your stay with friends was very memorable and I thank you for sharing that experience on TripAdvisor. If you ever come back for a girlfriend getaway, we do have two fabulous 2-bedroom suites (complete with a full kitchen and fireplace) that are ideal for these types of groups. I realize you are clear on the other side of the country, but if you ever make plans to re-visit San Diego, I do hope you'll consider staying with us again.
Leslie Araiza, Director of Marketing/Public Relations

Reviewed 2 November 2010

The location is perfect. This hotel is like a small boutique hotel with features of larger hotels. I slept so well here! Beautiful bedding, decor, cleanliness, the sound of the ocean waves coming from windows that actually open, all made the room relaxing and peaceful. The design of the bathroom provides two mirrors, one at the sink, another at a separate counter. The service for the most part was very good.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
GrandeColonial, Public Relations Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2010

Dear Greentrees30:
Thank you very much for your lovely comments about your recent stay at the Grande Colonial. We really appreciate your recognition of our property. Your comment about being able to open the windows and hear the sounds of the Pacific Ocean is one we take great pride in hearing. We are one of the few hotels I know of where you can actually open the windows for fresh air. (And being a block from the ocean, you get the added bonus here of hearing the crashing waves and smelling the ocean air.) Thank you again. We hope you'll be back soon.
Leslie Araiza
Director of Marketing & Public Relations

Reviewed 15 October 2010

Quick valet service, accommodating housekeeping staff, amazing location, great rooms. The bathroom is a tad small, but sufficient. I stayed in a junior suite on the 3rd floor with a shared balcony just outside our front window. It was very clean, comfortable and spacious. The only trouble we had was when we left our bags with the front desk for an hour while we went out for breakfast. The front desk staff told us they would put our bags in our car for us. When we got back and the valet brought our car around, we checked the trunk and there was no luggage. I asked the front desk and they had a bellman bring me to the luggage room, but no bags. Somehow our bags ended up in an unused dining room of some sort that was not locked or looked after by staff. It was very disconcerting. I tried to let the front desk that I was not happy with my bags being unattended, but they were too busy to speak to me, so I just left.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
GrandeColonial, Public Relations Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2010

Dear ELK06:
Let me first thank you for all the wonderful comments you wrote about your recent stay at the Grande Colonial. We appreciate your positive feedback about our valet and housekeeping staff, as they work so hard to ensure the satisfaction of our guests. Most importantly, however, I’d like to apologize for the trouble you experienced with your luggage. This is certainly not indicative of how we do business and I assure you that the reasons for it happening in the first place have since been addressed and resolved. Thank you again and we hope to see you back.
Leslie Araiza
Director of Marketing & Public Relations

Reviewed 11 October 2010

Stayed two nights and loved the hotel and the area. Stayed in a junior suite which was huge and had a corner view of the ocean and the "children's beach" where the seals lounge. The hotel was full, but despite that and the fact that the weather was perfect, found a few chairs at the pool. The restaurant food was fantastic, but pricey and service was good but not great. Service in the hotel was great. The manager saw me with an ice bucket and insisted that they fill it and promptly brought it to the room.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2010

I had my wedding ceremony and stayed at the Grande Colonial for 4 nights as a 'destination' wedding in La Jolla. I wish I could say better things about the hotel, because as the bride,I really wanted to enjoy the weekend, but we had some irreparable events that would lead me to not recommend the hotel to others.

Pros: Beautiful hotel in the perfect location on the main road of town. We stayed in one of the garden suites, which was a good size with plenty of light. Apparantly the ocean view rooms are in the main part of the hotel, but we were perfectly happy being so close to the ocean anyway. The breakfast in the Nine Ten restaurant was excellent, with great service, and not overpriced.

Cons: Brides beware! I experienced the worst service and lack of flexibility than I ever could've imagined from a 4 diamond hotel with the Sales & Catering dept. There were a few hiccups at first, that I was just going to chalk up as miscommunication or issues that can come up in any group/event planning, such as being told we could not do a sampling of the food from the wedding/banquet menu (we were told we can only try things off the Nine Ten restaurant menu and then assume the food will be similar); that we couldn't merge hotel reservations (that is, until I spoke to someone in reservations directly who was able to help me); and finally, having to reiterate over and over again what I wanted in terms of scheduling/dinner package (we wanted just a sit-down dinner to follow the ceremony, vs. the 'wedding package' that the staff sells more). The issue that put me over the edge was when they mentioned they weren't going to be able to serve alcohol during dinner without a bar setup upcharge (new news until the week before the wedding, so they actually ended up making an exception for us) and when our flowers were shipped a day earlier and they said they couldn't help us open the box and air them out, stating the 'lack of resources' and liability issues (luckily, my friend checked into the hotel earlier found someone in Reservations who was kind enough to help us- so don't worry, we ended up having BEAUTIFUL flowers for our wedding! :). The frustration & disappointment continued until the days after the wedding, when we got the bill showing us we did not meet the food/beverage minimum so we were charged the total, which we explicitly asked that night - then were told that there was a mistake and we did. Also, the food definitely did *not* meet expectations - and since our tasting was of a completely different meal, we wouldn't have known. All throughout the process, I never once felt the banquet director was on my side - and, instead of truly listening and coming back with an acknowledgement of our frustration or 'i don't know, let me check', she basically sugarcoated a 'no' and disregarded my issues/requests. The Grande Colonial website says they 'specialize' in small weddings, which I mistakenly read as being accommodating and customer service oriented to any sized group, when in actuality it seems like they were more comfortable in dealing with those just with a standard wedding package.

In summary, I would recommend the hotel to anyone looking for a wonderful stay in La Jolla in a convenient location, but I would *not* recommend it to anyone looking to plan a wedding or group event there, expecting good customer service or help outside of the standard package. It looks like many of the other negative TripAdvisor reviews allude to this fact, so it seems like my experience is not an isolated one.

NOTE: After voicing my frustration to the General Manager, we received a hotel certificate for a future stay, so feel a bit appeased that there was some acknowledgment of our issues...but I would feel better about staying there/supporting this hotel again if there was some action taken to better train their staff and listen to customers.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple