“Nice Accommodations, Management is Lacking”

Grande Colonial La Jolla
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed 11 December 2010

I stayed at The Grande Colonial over the thanksgiving holiday and really liked the location near the shopping and ocean. There are also a lot of nice restaurants that you can walk to. The room we had was an ocean view on a special rate booked online (go online for better packages!) and it had a nice view of the ocean even though there were some homes in the way. The bed was comfortable and there were nice amenities including soft bathrobes and they will bring you up anything you need pretty fast. I read online that valet parking was included and at checkout they presented the bill with valet parking on it for $22 per day!! I told the girl at checkout that I saw free valet online and she told me I was wrong and tried to explain the packages but she was just very confused and not making sense to us. I asked to speak to the manager and she seemed even more confused than the front desk girl! I mean, this is the manager right, shouldn't she know what the rates are? At this point, I would think that she would just waive the parking fee after all this trouble especially since we had stayed for three nights and spent plenty of money at their restaurant. She refused to waive the parking fees and had a pretty rude tone when speaking to me. It was like she didn't want to hear what I had to say -- and I tried to be very calm and complimentary to our stay overall. Since my last impression was so poor, I don't know if I'd want to stay there again, but it really was a nice hotel and there are many positives that make it a nice stay.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 December 2010

We stayed 2 nights and used their valet parking service, although you could probably find parking within a block or two. We were upgraded into a very nice suite with a view of the pool area. The included breakfast was off the menu and was superb. It was quiet as well as centrally located near all the shopping, or beautiful coastline for walking if that is your thing. The service was top rate, well trained without being pretentious.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2010

The Grande Colonial is a vintage gem located in the heart of downtown La Jolla. In just minutes you can easily walk to a number of oceanfront restaurants and bars. Just behind the hotel there is a wonderful pathway along the beach that is great for a morning walk. If you go you will see a colony of seals, the constant activity of the ocean surf and the beautiful La Jolla Cove Park. You feel like you are at a small, private Ritz Carlton with a professional, attentive staff. The rooms are interesting, large and plush with great views and amenities. I have led several small meetings at the Hotel over the past ten years where we have hosted senior executives from across the country. We consistently get “this was an amazing location”. It is a convenient 15 minutes from the San Diego Airport. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a first-class hotel in a relaxing, fun environment.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 December 2010

We stayed 3 weeks at the Grand Colonial in a room with a small kitchenette. We chose the hotel for its central location and the kitchenette and were quite happy with our choice but that was more because of the great atmosphere and pleasantness of La Jolla and the hotel’s location and overall feel than from a more logical assessment of the hotel itself. While there we checked out the Parisi’s equivalent accommodation and while the room was bigger with a better kitchen the back of the building location would have been depressing and it was overpriced. Parisi decor in general was all a bit dark and gloomy.

Assessing the room we had - the photos on the internet showing the room were accurate – not overly big and a little bit Martha Stewart country feel. The room was in a separate set of buildings 50 metres away from the main entrance – and it is quiet, better than on the main road where some comments on noise I can understand. But do not expect a view on the ground floor. The quality of some parts of the fittings are good – quality of double glazing etc, but the kitchen equipment is really el cheapo look. Old style electric rings on the hob – Europe and Australia stopped using these in the early 80s, sorry America, but really get some more modern equipment in your kitchens – the kitchen departments on cheaper stores are full of outdated stuff. Cutlery and china was the type of stuff I would get on sale in a hardware store on sale. Microwave was the bottom of the line choice etc. For a hotel of this overall quality feel and price, not good enough. Housekeeping service was patchy – sometimes things were put away (eg ironing board) other times just left. Some days items were replaced (eg water), other times not – then ringing up sometimes we had to resort to Spanish to get basic items. The bed itself was just acceptable – bit soft and coming to the end of its life, and we found the room too warm even though temperatures were below 20 at night being a pretty cool summer – and they just had duvets. One of my bug bears in hotels nowadays – to switch on AC when 18 celsius outside because the duvet makes you sweat like a pig is dumb and all too common. Concierge service was very friendly and competent. Internet was fine. We had free parking as we had the long stay. We had one dinner there – it was good without being amazing. With La Jolla having such a great selection of restaurants we chose to try other places afterwards. As we were there for a reasonable time I did expect a bit of contact from management (perhaps after one week some sort of call) – I spoke to the manager about this and made the above comments clear to him. It seemed to be taken on board, but on leaving to my disappointment there was no contact made.
On balance, for any European especially, do not even consider the hotels out of La Jolla itself – eg Hyatt, Sheraton, Hilton. La Jolla itself is one of the nicest suburbs in the world – comparable to Vaucluse in Sydney, Starnberg in Munich etc – staying out in the 80s/90s shopping mall, condo areas north of La Jolla nearer the university would be a soulless experience – yes, all pretty pleasant, but so what – leave it to the businessmen or those that demand using Starwood points etc or want to be next to a golf course. So on that basis I would stay again at the Colonial but I think for the money it needs some better quality equipment, beds and a bit more service, hence my rating of 3 star. The overall atmosphere of La Jolla and feelgood factor which the hotel has in my view makes you want to give one star rating higher than the hotel deserves, and I have resisted this in fairness to other hotels which I have stayed in recently which are better albeit in not such nice places. Valencia would be an alternative consideration – but did not get around to checking out room.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dubainick
Reviewed 3 December 2010

This is the second time within the past year that we have been fortunate enough to be able to stay at the Grand Colonial. It was truly a magical stay. Everything in walking distance, with so many wonderful places to see. We love the Torrey Pines golf course. The short travel to San Diego is just an added bonus. Just tons of fun thing to keep you busy. The food in the Nine-Ten was the best! I would and have recommended this wonderful place to everyone we know that has planned a visit..even if your business is in San Diego, it's worth staying at the Grand Colonial. You won't be sorry!

Reviewed 1 December 2010

The hotel is beautiful with excellent services. The food is incomparable. Looking out the window or walking a half block to the beach is fantastic. A picture postcard view in any direction.
We loved Benny and the 'London Cab'
We would refer this hotel to anyone who wants the best.

Reviewed 30 November 2010

My husband and I visited the hotel in April and thought it was beautiful. The view from our room was breathtaking. The location was perfect for sight seeing and the service was great!!!