“Outstanding in every aspect”

Grande Colonial La Jolla
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed 25 January 2011

Great small hotel with rooms that inspire you to spend time in them. Great bar and restaurant and extremely attentive and friendly staff from the font desk to the bar server to our restaurant server.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 January 2011

After searching the Internet and looking at Tripadvisor, I reserved a suit with ocean view over the weekend for 2 nights. When I arrived my car was parked by the valet service but nobody asked if I needed help with my bags. At the reception there was a long line and I had to wait for 10 minutes! Then I went to my room and hoped I would have a beautifull view of the ocean but that also turned out to be not quite true. I saw some ocean but not as expressed in the Internet a full view but a limited view. But the weekend rate was high. The room was OK but the coffee maschine was missing.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
GrandeColonial, Public Relations Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2011

Dear Sponi:
I am sorry to read that your recent experience at the Grande Colonial did not meet/exceed your expectations, especially since you traveled all the way from Zurich. Please know that I have addressed your concerns about our valet and front desk service with the manager of those areas. I assure you there will be immediate follow up with the staff to retrain and reemphasize our Four Diamond service standards. While we are not an "ocean-front" hotel, which is what I think you may have expected, we are indeed located just 1½ blocks from the ocean and La Jolla Cove beaches. There are some structures between us and the ocean, which do not provide full panoramic views from the rooms. I will review the copy that describes our location and views on the Internet to ensure it is not misleading. Lastly, please know that the coffee maker was not missing from your room. Our guest rooms (other than 18 of our extended-stay suites) do not include in-room coffee makers. I will also ensure that the copy describing our in-room amenities is clear. Thank you again for taking the time to provide your feedback. I do hope you’ll give us another chance on a future visit.
Leslie Araiza
Director of Marketing & Public Relations

Reviewed 23 January 2011

Our Grande Colonial experience was outstanding. From the moment we pulled up to the front door, Benny and the other valets/doormen made us feel right at home. All of our requests were met quickly (fridge, crib, extra pillows, etc...). You cannot ask for a better location, restaurants, shops, art galleries. The hotel is located right where you want to be in La Jolla. The ocean and Children's Pool are 1 block away, which was great b/c our 2yr old wanted to go down every day. Plus, La Jolla is only minutes from Sea World, the San Diego Zoo, and Balboa Park. Carlsbad and LegoLand are 30min north.

The only downside is that my wife thought the bed was a little hard for her taste.

Overall, this is an excellent hotel and a great value. We will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 January 2011

If La Jolla is spanish for "the jewel" then Grande Colonial should be spanish for "the jewel of them all". For those travelers looking to ditch their cars and walk to fine dining, shopping, contemporary museums, and costal views of seals, surfers and hummingbirds... this is the perfect hotel. For those looking for short drives to antique shopping in Solano Beach or other attractions in San Diego - this is also the perfect hotel. It is rare to find a beautiful hotel so well situated! We saw hundreds of folks streaming down the adjacent street to view the sunset that we could watch (with glass of wine in hand) from the hotel. The location is the best part, but the beds are nice and cozy... and our 3 teenagers felt very comfortable in this upscale (yet not stuffy at all) hotel. Give it a try, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 January 2011

This was my first time at this great La Jolla boutique spot. I had a last minute business need and the staff accommodated my request immediately. The location, bar/restaurant is great. Coffee shop close by was a nice diversion.
I had my team meet in one of the business rooms and I couldn’t ask for more.
The rooms were clean and I got a great nite sleep.
Give them a try.

Free wi-fi in the entire place - a real plus as the bigger hotels charge for every aspect.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 January 2011

We held our planning retreat here for the leadership team of our small company. The setup in the "Little Hotel by the Sea" was perfect for our needs with a great meeting room on the top floor with fantastic views. Highly recommended for this purpose. I'll also say that the staff were great to work with with special shout outs to Audra, Katy and Lydia. Thanks!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 January 2011

My husband and I chose The Grande Colonial in La Jolla as one of the hub hotels for our wedding weekend. It was close to our ceremony and reception location. It was also very close to the beach, shops, and fine dinning which is a great plus when most of your guest are from 3,000 miles away. All my guest received their welcome bags and were happy with their rooms. The rates were a little on the high side, but most of La Jolla is pretty expensive. Beth's team was able to provide a wedding block rate for guest to take advantage of a few month before the wedding.

My experience - I spent the night before my wedding and also spent a few days after our wedding at the hotel. We booked a junior suite with Ocean Views which lent itself nicely for pictures. The room had a nice sitting area to get ready with my bridesmaids. I felt like the only bride although there was another bride also staying there that weekend. They were even so kind as to mail me back a dress I had left behind after checking out.

Overall very good experience!

• Stayed: April 2010