1,126 results
All reviewsla jolla shoreschairs and umbrellasping pongbeachfront roombeach serviceunderground parkingthird floorocean frontmarine roomhot tubshuttle servicebeach accesshotel restaurantsan diegonice poolgarden viewrestaurants and shops
Reviewed 11 February 2013

I am a foreign traveller who stayed in this hotel as part of a larger trip in which I stayed at four hotels in total across the U.S. La Jolla Shores was far and away the best. I forgot several hundred dollars in my room safe along with some foreign currency and two passports. In my mind I wrote off seeing the American money again, and I was worried about not having my passport when I had to leave the U.S. When I contacted the hotel however they made it a priority to courier me my items to where I was staying elsewhere in the USA. They wrote me a check for the money, had the items to me in 48 hours and even paid for the courier! All this after I had checked out. I liked the rooms and other things very much, which were quieter than other hotels I've stayed in. But it's the service above and beyond the call of duty that I'll never forget.

Room Tip: I had a room facing into the courtyard, which I was happy with, but other people may prefer one overlooking the ocean.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 February 2013

Great location on the beach. Close to la Jolla beach & tennis club. I had access to courts there. Walking or driving distance to la Jolla village. Extremely friendly and helpful staff. Ate at a take out / eat in fish place called pescatore. Fresh fish ordered at the counter w a great soup and homemade salad dressing.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 3 February 2013

After a few days in LA on business we made the drive down to La Jolla for some relaxation. The La Jolla Shores was a great call. We arrived late and were the the last people in the hotel dining room, but it was a perfect option after a stressful drive. Found out later that there are a couple more nice spots to eat within walking distance. Cannot beat the location ON the beach, within a 5 minute drive of La Jolla itself. This is a large, well-equipped property with beautiful atrium spaces, comfortable, large room(s) with kitchenettes, and a parking garage with decent prices all round.
The beachfront room was definitely worth the upcharge, as the sunset over the point was gorgeous.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 January 2013

The best thing about the La Jolla Shores hotel is its location and that is why it gets a review of 4 out of 5 (rather than just 3). The hotel itself is a bit worn and needs renovation, but the rooms are spacious, even if very simply decorated with outdated furniture. This is the kind of place you stay at for the convenient location, but not to spend your time in the hotel.

We got a special rate that was cheaper than any of the hotels in downtown La Jolla and got a beachfront room for less than the published rates, so it was a really good value. If you are planning to spend a few days on the beach and relax and don't want to drive, their free shuttle service is great. We used it to have us dropped off and picked up at our convenience around La Jolla (downtown La Jolla, UCSD, the UTC shopping mall) and did not have any problem booking the service.

Room service is reasonably priced for hotel standards and there are also several restaurants nearby (walking distance). For breakfast or lunch, you can walk down the beach to the cafe located at the Scripps Institute (cheap, quick and with a great terrace).

We found the beach service to be lacking. There was supposed to be someone to give you a towel and chair for the beach, but we did not see anyone throughout our whole stay (other than in the evening, when they packed it all up). You can probably ask at reception though, and just wait a bit longer.

The beds are not particularly comfortable and the A/C is loud and does not work very well, but I would recommend this hotel if you can get a good rate ($150/night) and your main interest is to be on the beach. (Not a place to spend a cozy weekend in the room though).

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper and might be bothered by the sound of the ocean at night, don't get a beachfront room (choose a garden view room instead).
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank reviewer-intl
Reviewed 21 January 2013

We very pleasd that we choose the La Jolla Shores hotel for our 1st trip to the San Diego area. The property is right on the beach with spectacular sunset views of La Jolla Cove. The room was very clean and had a fully equiped kitchenette that came in handy for breakfasts and reheating doggie bags. Also, the restaurant at the hotel was very good. We ate there a few time during our 9 day stay and was never disappointed -good food / good service. Be sure to check out daily Happy Hour.

The hotel's location is very convenient to downtown La Jolla (< 2 miles) and about a 10 to 15 minute drive to San Diego proper & Coronado.

Room Tip: Go for the ocean front rooms. A little more money but you can watch surfers, dolphins, and sunsets from you balcony
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple