“Amazing location!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Amazing location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

I read the reviews on here prior to booking the hotel and they are spot on....this is why I LOVE trip advisor! I will just give brief overview of my stay. To put this into perspective, I was leaving a Ritz Carlton in Dana Point and coming to La Jolla Shores.....PLEASE understand that at the Ritz you pay for the experience as well as incredibly nice rooms--At La Jolla Shores you are paying strictly for location. Yes the room was nice, I booked room 335 (Which I would book again), an oceanfront suite which was again, nice (Spacious, vaulted ceiling) but the quality is lacking. I have NO problem with this as I knew exactly what I was booking so I was not disappointed. However, had I not read the reviews I may have been somewhat confused with cost/quality.
That having been said, the location was PERFECT! I mapped out everything I wanted to do and was able to do even more than that due to the convenience of the way the city is mapped out as well as ease of getting places. It was on the weekend so I'm sure the lack of traffic worked in my favor. I had less than 48 hours in San Diego and was able to do everything I wanted. La Jolla Beach, Cove, saw the seals, Museum of Contemporary Art, the Living Room for coffee, dinner by La Jolla Beach and in downtown La Jolla, gelato, and then the few hours I had before needing to be at the airport I was able to briefly check out downtown San Diego. Shout out to Ben at the front desk of La Jolla Shores who not only gave me great recommendations on restaurants but walked me outside to put me in the right direction of them.
Overall, I would absolutely stay here again and I would also recommend this to beach lovers who truly want a great overall experience, not afraid to pay a little extra for it, and not obsessive over the lack of marble sinks and pristine bedding.

Room Tip: 335-King bed suite all the way! Oceanfront, Sunset views, top floor! Why stay at the beach if you...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Bethany721

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Korean first
Toledo, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

We had a beachfront unit with kitchen. Yes the room was a little dated, but it was clean and the views were wonderful. We were up early every day and were able to walk the beach or head to town to walk along the Cove. As far as issues, the air conditioning unit was not particularly effective and its location near the floor in the corner was difficult to get to and air floor was blocked by the bedside stand. The curtains that covered the wall to wall windows and door to the deck also were strangely situated. You had to open them all the way from left to right to clear the sliding door to the deck. It would have been nice to open the opposite way so you could open them just far enough to get out onto the deck, particularly if the other person wanted to continue sleeping.

The service was fine and the young men tending the beach chairs and towels were always nearby. You are charged $18 per night parking which I feel is nitpicky. For the price you pay it should just be included in the daily room rate. We would stay at the Shores again sometime. You can't beat the location.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

I celebrated my 60th birthday with about 50 friends and family and several of us stayed the whole weekend in the beachfront rooms overlooking the ocean and beach. All of my guests said they had a wonderful time and what a beautiful place it was to hold a celebration party. The food was wonderful, the sunset was gorgeous and the sound of the ocean. It doesn't get any better than that.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice but the beachfront room is my favorite. You can sit on your balcony and watch...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

My husband and I booked this hotel for our 34th wedding anniversary. After checking in, it was very difficult to find a place to park at the hotel. Finally squeezed into a parking spot and could hardly get out of our car. There was a sign up on our way to the elevator stating the sauna was broken. The elevator felt like it was going to break down as we went up to the floor where our room was located. The room looked like it had not been updated since the 60's. All of the furniture was dirty and the room smelled like there had been a couple of frat parties recently.
View was spectacular from our deck, however, there were bird droppings and food all over the deck. All of this for $600 per night. We quickly checked out and headed to the Marriott Marquis Hotel/Marina for $364 per night. Beautiful hotel and gorgeous views!!

3 Thank Janice B
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

My husband and I loved this hotel and it met all of our expectations. Yes, it is dated. However, we did have one of the third floor costal rooms and the view was lovely. Our room was ready early and the staff was great. We did take advantage of the DVD library once. The bed was super comfortable, probably one of the best we have ever had in a hotel. We had a small kitchenette, which had more items than we expected.....a full size refridgerator, stove, dishes, pans, full set of kitchen knives. Von's grocery store is fairly close to the hotel. The only cons to this place is that you are charged $17 dollars a day for parking, and you have no alternatives. Since the beach is a public beach, the parking is very limited. In fact, never saw an empty space. The walls are thin, but if you turn on the AC, it drowns out some of the sound. I would return to this hotel in a heartbeat. Another tip.....skip George's at the Cove and have dinner in the hotel restaurant, you have a better view of the sunset.

Room Tip: Choose a second or third floor room. If you have a costal room it is across from the park and there...
Columbus, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

Lovely town and lovely views, but this hotel was built in 1970, and you can tell. Staff is great, and while it is very clean, I was not impressed with the room for the price. There are some great restaurants within walking distance.

Room Tip: You want the ocean side not ocean view
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

We stayed a couple nights at La Jolla shores hotel. Overall I would rate the hotel above average. I would say the hotel itself is average, but the fact that it is right on the beach makes it above average.
I will simply express the pros and cons:

PROS:
Right on the beach.
Right next to a park (nice with kids)
Restraunts and shops only 1 block away.
Wifi included
Front desk check in was professional (can't say the same about checking out)

Cons:
Pay 17$ per day for parking below the hotel. We were there on a Saturday night and it was tough to find a spot. No problems finding spots on the other nights.

Rooms are dated. Carpets are frayed, wallpaper frayed.

No HDTV

May put you right next to a wedding party we were not even a part of. (this can be a coastline view room such as ours)...so caution on weekends.

Ben, the gentleman who checked us out wasn't very professional in my opinion. When he asked how our stay was...I said fine except that first night was very loud with the wedding reception right outside our room (loud music, ect). His response was "that sounds about right". Was not too impressed about that response. I do not think he realized how this comes off, and will say that all the other staff I dealed with were very kind.

So overall above average hotel because of location only.
If you don't mind some noise, don't mind the rooms being a bit dated, want to be right on the beach then this is the hotel for you.

I would stay here again, but only if I stayed in ocean front room. We stayed at coastline view room.

Room Tip: Get the ocean view rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family