“It's all about the location”

La Jolla Shores Hotel
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
st. paul
“It's all about the location”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Our room was a deluxe and faced the beach, with a beautiful view. The hotel grounds are really nice and the staff is polite and friendly. Rooms are a bit older though. Our bathroom had a really dirty grate and it was obvious the tile had not been scrubbed in a while. Also the louver windows were broken and wouldn't close so since it was pretty chilly we had to stuff towels in the openings. Not what I expect at that room rate but they did give us one night off at half rate.

Keep in mind too that there is construction going on next to the hotel until May. They offered us a different room but it was next to jack hammering which we could hear from our room as well. I would say overall nice hotel with stunning views but poorly kept up. Wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I was offered an opportunity to stay here for a business meeting.

When I saw the location, I instantly became excited. The hotel is literally steps from the beach and with easy access to lots of shopping, tourism, and fun adventures. When I arrived at my room, the view from my beachfront balcony was absolutely breathtaking.

However, when I stopped looking out the window and paid more attention to the room, I was slightly disappointed. The room was worn with the carpet faded. The king bed had grooves in it from where people had slept over the years. The towels were old, rough, and discolored. Overall, I was happy I wasn't paying for the full cost of the room.

Overnight, I realized the second problem with the location: The noise! The walls here are thin and you can hear EVERYTHING. Also, the walkways outside the rooms are stone pavers and early in the morning you can hear the housekeeping cart clonk along from room to room. While the view is beautiful, I did not find this a very restful hotel room.

My recommendation is that if you can get a great deal on a room here and want to be close to the breach, then go for it. But if you the costs are high and you are looking for a luxury beachfront getaway, pass on La Jolla Shores.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, definitely spring for the beach front rooms. The views are beautiful and the...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank BeachDreamPass
SF Bay Area
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I’m writing this review because we thought the front desk service was impeccable – better than many top top dollar hotels I’ve stayed in. Andrew helped us with parking, but every single person at front desk was excellent with the guests. We look forward to another stay in the hopefully near future. (I did hear a guest who was trying to check in early not be able to since it was still being cleaned, but personally feel that should be expected unless arranged in advance) Hotel is located immediately on the beach, which is long and wide. During our visit were there no waves. Toddler playground immediately next door. Easy walking to a few restaurants and kayak rental/tour.
Hotel built as two courtyards, one w tiny Jacuzzi and pool which has more kid noise than other courtyard which has 2 ping pong tables. Seems most rooms, other than back/lower level, have some water view. I believe all have a balcony. Room price will reflect view quality.
Room decor sparse and not recently updated, bathroom very basic. BUT - important to us - has very good beds, sheets and pillows. (I’m ok with the hotel not being updated bc it keeps the price down). Fridge in room. (no micro) Room and balcony were clean. Door connecting to room next door lets quite a bit of noise in. Heat/Air unit very noisy. Hotel has ample towels at pool, provides beach chairs, ping pong paddles, dvds at no extra cost. Spa services available.
Parking (at additional cost ala most hotels in area) located under hotel, 6’3” clearance –check if you have tall car. Street parking tough, but possible.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Portola Valley, California
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We enjoyed our stay at La Jolla Shores, I will shore up my reasons for a great visit:

1. Loved the free shuttle in La Jolla--that means that if you are visiting the many nearby universities, you can conveniently get a free ride
2. Close to downtown La Jolla Shores with many nice restaurants, only a couple of blocks away
3. Close to kayak and bike rentals
4. Right on the beach and it's good running sand on the beach
5. Rooms were comfy, bed, pillows were comfy, room was roomy
6. Free DVD rental for movies
7. Attentive and helpful staff, provided maps and made shuttle reservations, etc. they were friendly

Down side: breakfast is not included in the cost, but you can walk down to a nice nearby restaurant

To the owners: thank you for the shuttle service!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the ocean side. Avoid the rooms that are adjacent to the walkways.
1 Thank tbfree
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 20 November 2013

You can find a newer property, but you cannot find a better location. Ambiance at the desk is always calm, cool and professional. Staff is always friendly. We have stayed at least 5 times over the years. Where else can you walk out of your room and have this beautiful beach, the sky, and vistas all there...no traffic or parking. We appreciate La Jolla Shores personnel and their management.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank george y
Los Altos Hills, California, USA
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Here for a short business trip of two days and found the ambience and helpfulness of the front desk to be wonderful. Special requests were handled well. Onsite restaurant and bar was nice and the Marine Room nearby was an upscale restaurant. Some rooms do not have ocean view so be sure to request one if that matters and it should as the views are wonderful. Nice health club so this hotel met all my needs.

Room Tip: Request ocean view
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Pros:
1. AMAZING location. Right on the beach, beautiful, plenty of street parking (no need to pay for hotel parking), great pool.
2. Spacious rooms, with fridge, plenty of towels/pillows etc.
3. Attentive and helpful staff.

Cons:
1. Ridiculously thin walls -- we could hear everything going on in the room next to us, including an argument that lasted until 2am one night. This seriously impacted my impression of the place and make it difficult to get any R&R.
2. We didn't have a complimentary breakfast in our deal, and their breakfast is quite overpriced, so we went out every morning to get something.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Sarah S
Pacific Beach
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 278 in San Diego

Been to La Jolla Shores Hotel? Share your experiences!