This hotel gives you the beach access that is so hard to find in La Jolla.
Some reviews complained about the age of the hotel. Yes, it is a bit older than new mega hotels, and that shows mainly in the walls (older decor) and in the AC units (which were a bit sluggish, probably due to age). But this hotel also has charm and many advantages.
1. Beach access.
2. Large rooms.
3. Beach view rooms without paying ocean front prices. We were on the side of the hotel, but we could sit on our balcony and watch the surfers and hear the waves.
4. Next to a park and playground which is clean and entertaining for kids.
5. Close proximity to center of La Jolla and also to Torrey Pines State Reserve.
6. Covered parking (though it does cost $18 per day). You could also try to snag a street spot in the surrounding residential neighborhood, but you'd need to worry about street cleaning days and a lack of security.
7. Tons of kayak and scuba schools brought their customers to the water to the left of the hotel. So water adventurers can easily access those opportunities within a block of the hotel.
8. The hotel provides beach umbrellas, chairs, and towels for no additional charge. We had four people in our family, so the guy set up two umbrellas for us. That was a terrific bonus for this hotel.
9. There are two nice ping pong tables in the courtyard. The front desk staff will give you paddles and balls for no extra charge if you want to play. My kids loved that.
10. You can walk along, looking at the rocky coast to one side and the ocean waves crashing on the other, for a long time.
11. Clean pool and not tub area that stocks plenty of towels for you.
12. Quiet rooms that keep you from hearing neighbors and passers-by even though the rooms open onto open-air hallways.
Sure, the hotel isn't the newest one in town, but it has charm and a long list of advantages that made staying here truly enjoyable. We were sad to leave and would stay here again quite happily.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- For decades, the La Jolla Shores Hotel has been the year-round beach retreat of choice for families and vacationers of all types. Nestled right on the ocean in the popular La Jolla Shores, CA community, the hotel’s friendly, warm and welcoming staff is a highlight of the experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your La Jolla Shores Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.