“Great Experience”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Long Beach, California
“Great Experience”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Extraordinary property. Everyone was friendly and courteous. Rooms were spacious, well appointed and clean. The grounds are meticulously maintained and the locations, superb. Overlooks the Torrey Pines Golf Course and is right next door to the Lodge. Beyond the Golf Course is one of the prettiest stretched of the California Coastline. With the way most rooms are situated, you'll have a front row seat to spectacular sunsets. You are minutes away from downtown La Jolla with all of its quaint shops and restaurants. Drive a bit further and you have all that San Diego has to offer. Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines is a great place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Katie E, Manager at Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Thank you for your recent 5 star review and for choosing to stay with us. I am overjoyed to learn how much you enjoyed your stay and that you loved not only the property itself, but also the pristine grounds and beautiful views. I am delighted to hear that you received wonderful service from our entire team and that everyone helped make your stay that much more memorable. I am pleased you chose us as your San Diego destination and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Korean first
Chilliwack, Canada
Reviewed 30 August 2013

This was a 4 star booking through Hotwire, listed as in La Jolla. Something to consider is that the hotel is a 5 to 10 minute drive into the actual downtown area of La Jolla. There are no shops to speak of near the hotel. If you don't have a car you will need a cab back and forth into town.
The hotel room have all been recently renovated, and they are large, clean, and comfy. We had a fridge in our room which was great. The pool is really nice, so are the grounds. The gym facilty is one of the better ones I've ever seen, and most of the staff were super, especially in the restaurant. Special mention to the man in charge of the eggs!
We had a $35 add on that gave us 2 full breakfasts each day, parking, and internet. Considering parking is $26 a day alone, this was well worth it. I didn't see any street parking around. The breakfast is excellent.
The views from the hotel are great, but they did have a lot of lingering marine fog during our 4 days, so you couldn't see much past the golf course.
Also, it can be cooler than you might expect here. Before lunch and after dinner, you might find yourself heading for the hot tub and skipping the pool. I'm sure this isn't all of the time.
And, although most reviews will mention great views from your room, there are some rooms which don't look at the golf course or the pool, and have a very slight view of the gardens. Our's was one of those not so impressive views.
I'm not sure but part of the trouble when booking through Hotwire might mean that you could end up in the least desirable rooms, and what can you say? I am beginning to think that you are better off just paying a bit more to book directly through the hotel. That way, you can ask to be moved, etc.if you aren't happy. I could be wrong about the that.
Overall, we liked our stay at this hotel. Glad we had a car, though.
The worst part of our stay came when I checked out. The bellboys would not let me take one of the baggage carts to load our cases up prior to leaving. The room we had was a fair distance from the only door in and out. He told me it was a liabilty issue. So I hauled all of our bags through the hotel and out to the car without their help. No problem. Then when I checked out, I asked the girl why they wouldn't let me take the cart to get my bags loaded in the room. Her reply to me was a question, "Don't you have a couple of bucks for the tip"? What a way to end our 4 day stay at this Hilton. After tipping bellboys, waiters, housekeeping, and the wonderful egg chef for 4 days, I felt this girl's comment was way offside.
We would never come back, or reccommend this hotel, based on that one parting comment.

Room Tip: Stay at the far ends of the buildings for the best views.
1 Thank adognamedrocky
Pleasanton, California
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Hilton Torrey Pines always has excellent service starting at the valet, the front desk, in the dining area and even the bar. The grounds are kept immaculate and their location at Torrey Pines Golf course and near the ocean are beautiful. Great for family, friends and couples. I know it sounds like a commercial but I have stayed here many times and if is great each time.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Katie E, Manager at Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Thank you for your wonderful 5 star review. I am pleased to hear how much your enjoyed your stay and that you received impeccable service throughout your time with us. I am delighted to learn that you loved our serene and relaxing location with unbeatable views and the legendary Torrey Pines Golf Course just steps from our front door. I am happy to hear that you truly enjoyed your visit and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I went to the Hilton Torrey Pines for two nights with my daughter and her husband and two little kids. Ages 3 and 5. While this is not really a resort for kids, it is fine. We needed to be near La Jolla and found it to be just a short drive away.
The rooms are well appointed and clean. Beds good. Amenities good. We did not eat in the hotel. the workout room looked a little shabby. We didn't use the pool, but it looked very inviting.
walked around near the golf course and enjoyed the sea breezes.

League City, Texas
Reviewed 27 August 2013

The Hilton at La Jolla has it all. Beautiful views, spacious rooms, friendly staff and of course the golf course. The hotel is in a desirable location with easy access to all the great attractions. We can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Rooms with a veranda view of the golf course are great.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JWF901
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to San Diego. I am ecstatic to learn how much you enjoyed your stay and that you loved your spacious and comfortable guest room as well as the stunning views. I am pleased to know that you received impeccable service throughout your stay and that you can’t wait to come back. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Murrieta
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Not my favorite place. We booked a government rate so of course we got the worst located rooms they have. I guess not so bad for my husband since he was going golfing and he could walk out to the course, but no view whatsoever. No natural light either. As it turned out, I ended up walking out and over to The Lodge for meals anyway so I guess it worked out after all. I'm not sure if that was the Hilton's intended outcome. First of all, there is nowhere to get food except for the one restaurant in the Hilton hotel. So they know they are holding you hostage. The breakfast, which included bacon, eggs and coffee, was $26++. Really? We ate dinner there the first night and it wasn't that great so I wasn't about to spend $26 on bacon and eggs. So we went next door to The Lodge where the food was better and less expensive, the resort is nicer, and the service was much more gracious. Next time I would spend the extra $100 a night and stay next door.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dvsdeedee
Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback. I am sincerely sorry to hear that you were not pleased with the guest room you received. Next time, please let our front desk team know and we would be more than happy to try and provide you with accommodations that are more fitting to your needs. I am very sorry to hear that you were unsatisfied with your dinner the first night of your stay which discouraged you from joining us for breakfast. Our breakfast is fantastic and much more than just bacon and eggs, we also have a build-your-own omelet station, fresh fruit, pastries, French toast, potatoes and much more. I encourage you to try it the next time you visit. Thank you for your review and I hope you reconsider choosing to stay with us in the future.
Krum, United States
Reviewed 25 August 2013

This Hilton is a perfect spot in between Del Mar and La Jolla I love it! Very nice ocean views and beautifull golf course behind property. It is typical Hilton quality with more recent updated rooms. The breakfast was great especially the omelette station everything else was very good also

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends