“Torrey Pines!”

Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Over all good location to stay, we enjoyed hiking in Torrey Pines. Hotel has good views and you can rest. This hotel is adjacent to golf club; it provides good opportunity to spend a day playing golf while enjoying spectacular views.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Shoaib S
Samira M, Public Relations Manager at Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Great to hear you enjoyed our location and everything it has to offer: golf, ocean views, hiking, relaxation. See you next time!

There are newer reviews for Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines

Reviewed 3 December 2013

• Upon check in, after entering the room and making our way to the outside balcony we found a box with trash sitting in the corner

• On the following day after arriving back at the room, we ordered room service around 8 PM (no time estimate was given on when to expect delivery – I know Marriott does this on every order) – the order consisted of a cheese plate, a champagne split and a pitcher of water; after approximately 45 minutes after the order was placed, I called to check on the status of the delivery and the person whom answered the phone said he would need to check, and once I heard that, I told him I wanted to cancel the order since it had taken that long so far, and there was no indication from him on when we could expect it even at that point.

• Upon cancelling the room service, we called the front desk and advised them of the issue and said we would be drinking the water bottles that were sitting in the room and stated that we do not expect to pay for them, and the front desk personnel confirmed that would be ok, and she also stated that she would have the food and beverage manager call our room (the food and beverage manager never called)

• Around 12 midnight I heard laughter, loud talking, and cheering outside of the room in the pool court yard, approximately a half hour went by and I contacted the front desk and told them to have the party move inside since it had awaken me and I could not fall back asleep

• Around 8:45 AM, I called the operator and asked for the MOD and was transferred to the front desk and put on hold for an extended period of time, I then hung up and called back and asked for the GM in which I was transferred to a voice mail and left a message for Patrick Duffy that I wanted to talk to him about the current quality and service issues at his property, I left him my cell phone number, and advised that I would be leaving for the day

• At approximately 3:45 PM (or 7 hours later) the GM, Patrick Duffy called me back and left a voice mail with his direct number to contact him

• Upon entering the room around 4:30 PM I called the GM, Patrick Duffy at his direct number and it rang to voice mail which I left a message that I was returning his call and I still wanted to talk to him; upon hanging up the phone I called the front desk and asked for Patrick Duffy and was advised that he had left the property for the day. My initial contact to the MOD and the GM was in regards to the first several issues encountered during my stay (below expectations on service) and my immediate call at this time was for the MOD to come to my room, as I was enraged due to the poor service from housekeeping. When we left the room in the morning we had several clumps of dirt fall off of our shoes at the foot of the bed and upon returning to the room at 4:30 PM, the room was in order but the mud still remained as the maid did not take out a vacuum while cleaning.

Until this day, the GM Patrick Duffy has yet to return my phone call, and the 2 bottles of water were charged to my Amex card the day after I checked out.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank AZHarrington
Samira M, Public Relations Manager at Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We truly apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered at our hotel. We strive to make every guest feel comfortable and at home. We have sent you a private message so we may get in contact with you. Thank you for your time.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

The Hilton is a very nice choice for staying in the La Jolla area without breaking the bank. The room was attractive and felt as though it had been recently renovated. Everything from the carpet to the wallpaper was in perfect condition. The bathroom was huge and very modern. The shower was equally large and this was perhaps the first hotel I've stayed at in a long time where the water drained quickly. If your budget allows, go for the Terrace Room. These rooms have huge balconies with chaise lounges and a table and chairs, and overlook the golf course with the Pacific ocean beyond. One note is that the Terrace rooms are at the end of the hallways, so they are a very long walk from the lobby. As a plus, the location provides a super quiet room. One gripe was the price for a small bottle of water in the room. The water was $5.50 - an absurd price. If the hotel has to sell it at such an inflated price, then they should perhaps not offer it at all. I drove to Ralph's grocery store and picked up a larger bottle for $1.79.

A lot of people have complained about the cost for extra services, but I found that if you buy a bundle, it is not too bad. There are options for adding one, two, three or four of the options. I picked three and received breakfast, parking and wireless internet at a much lower price than buying them separately. The restaurant is on the lower level and an attractive, although rather basic design. Breakfast was good. They offer a buffet, but you can order off the menu, too, if you prefer. Choices were the standard hotel buffet items but everything was hot and the serves were friendly and aimed to please.

Overall, this hotel did a lot right, and when you factor in the rate compared to other nearby properties, a very nice value as well.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Reldim
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Clean and comfortable an all around good hotel with solid service. The view from the restaurant is wonderful over looking the golf course. A good selection from the menu invites you to hang out there. A nice and comfortable place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Located about 25 minutes away from downtown San Diego this hotel was a really good choice from a location perspective. Reception was incredibly friendly. There is good on site parking but it can be a tad expensive. There is an in hotel shop and coffee shop which can also be on the pricey side.

The free Wi-Fi in the lobby is good but expect to pay if you want it in room. The rooms were spacious and comfortable. The room amenities were good but the lack of free bottled water was a negative. Shower and bathroom was good as was the quality of wash/gels provided.

I got this hotel at a reasonable rate and when I use San Diego I would probably stay here again.
The only negatives I would put towards it would be the lack of free wifi inroom and the parking costs.

Room Tip: High Floor Sea View
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We booked into the Hilton for a couple of nights after staying at the Hotel Del Coronado - the hotel was quite nice, its location next door to Torrey Pines golf course was fantastic for me (although I was unable to golf). Parking costs were high ($25/day) and the wireless internet was expensive too $15/day in room). We had one meal at the restaurant and the food was average to poor and the waiter was totally uninterested in us being there.

Room Tip: all rooms seem to have a view
2  Thank David_S6627
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We stayed here to attend a wedding at the hotel next door. It was clean and comfortable, but I was disappointed at the lack of amenities. There wasn't even a pen in the room. You have to pay for everything from parking to wifi and water in the room.

4  Thank thej-leons