“Palatial Upgrade”

Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Well, I knew there was some benefit for traveling so much...a wonderful employee here named Jacqueline was accommodating when I said I preferred a king room to one with two queens. Perhaps accommodating isn't the right word, as I was treated to an amazing "room" overlooking the 18th fairway at Torrey Pines. It was actually more like a generous apartment, with a large living room with a sectional sofa, a dining room seating 8 people, a nice bedroom, and 2 bathrooms. Yes, the suite was beautiful, but more importantly, the fact that this employee went out of her way to provide this (at no extra charge, I might add) is the exceptional part of the stay and the property. Nice job.

Room Tip: Ask for the suite at the end of the hallway overlooking the golf course.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Dino F
Samira M, Public Relations Manager at Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We will share your kind words with our staff and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

There are newer reviews for Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines

Reviewed 14 January 2014

This hotel is gorgeous - overlooking a golf course and the Pacific Ocean. Very clean and comfortable rooms (with mini fridges) and extremely helpful and friendly staff. The concierge helped me get to and from lunch in downtown La Jolla as well as scheduling transportation for my trip to the airport. The only downside was that the nearest restaurant was at least a mile or two away.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Samira M, Public Relations Manager at Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

We are thrilled you enjoyed our ocean facing property! Our concierge is the best in La Jolla. :) We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 10 January 2014

Overall, the actual property would deserve an excellen rating of 5/5. Unfortunately, there were a few service issues during my stay which are leading me to lower my overall rating. Detail below

What I liked: First, I really like what they have done with the place. I did stay at this property 5+ years ago and it started to show its age (although I had an awesome upgrade that time). Rooms are modern, well appointed and large enough that you can add a rolloway bed and still have plenty of room to move around. Everything felt new and was in working order. Liked the fact that I was given a room with a balcony. We ate dinner at the main restaurant on the day of arrival and although on the pricey side, food and service was excellent. We also had breakfast there everyday and were happy with the offering. Location is great as you are more or less in the middle of it all. 20-25 minutes away from DT San Diego/Zoo area and 20-25 minutes away from Carlsbad with the premium outlets and Legoland, and of course only minutes away from the Torrey Pines State park and La Jolla/Del Mar beach areas. As a diamond member, I had access to complimentary wifi which was quick enough and reliable throughout the stay. And as I booked early enough, the rate was so low, this was almost a steal!!!

What could be improved: Not sure what actually happened but the 2 rooms booked had not been assigned prior to arrival. I know that with the upgrade to the property room types offered actually changed from the time we book this stay to the time we checked-in so this may be part of the explanation. This property is also notoriously famous for not having rooms ready by the 3pm check-in time. Not sure if it is because this was during the holliday season but in our section, we saw housekeeping staff getting active around 12pm and they were still cleaning up rooms well past 3pm. Initially, I was told that no rooms would be available until I offered that I would be ok to have a king-sized room if they could put a rollaway bed in (something that I feel the front desk employee could have thought of but anyway...) I am not blaming the check-in employee who was actually very friendly and was trying his best to give me "a great room as a Diamond member" - just that this stuff should be sorted out before hand, not when I check-in. Speaking of housekeeping, we had a few issues throughout our stay as bathroom amenities and towels were not restocked properly (example: 2 bottle of conditioners rather than 1 shampoo and 1 conditioner). We had a couple of those throughout our lenghty stay. Parking is not cheap at this property so do consider one of the parking package. Also, for Diamond members, this property does not feature an executive lounge. This means that you will get breakfast voucher for the cold (continental) buffet. Staff does monitor what you take so if you want the full buffet, you have to fork out $6 - which is still good value but detracts from the overall experience.

Overall, I just loved this place and the surroundings. The upgrades to this property were nicely executed and there is a good mix of modern amenities in this relatively peaceful setting. Staff there are wonderful. As I said in my opening line, I want to give it 5 stars but... just a few détails that needs to be worked on

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for sharing your stay with us. We value all of our guest feedback and are constantly sharing with our team. We look forward to your next stay!

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We booked the hotel for a family vacation, and although the hotel is not prepared for little children our experience was wonderful because of the friendliness of the staff. We had great experience with the cleaning staff that helped us with the needs of our children to the kitchen staff that went out of their way. One particular detail that marked our stay is that our daughter insisted on having mac and cheese which requires a microwave, the staff of the front desk facilitated their microwave for us.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for sharing your stay. It was our pleasure to help make your stay more enjoyable. We love mac and cheese too ;). See you and your family next time!

Reviewed 8 January 2014

The Hilton Torrey Pines is a hidden gem. We recently stayed there for 1 night & next visit we will have to stay longer. It's quiet & convenient to everything (without being stuck right in La Jolla). It's immediately next to the Torrey Pines Inn which charges five times as much, but close enough to the coast take nice hikes. The rooms are large & pleasant. We will definitely stay at this hotel again.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Great to hear you enjoyed our little gem ;). Our hotel does make for a great getaway along the Pacific Ocean. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 7 January 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in this hotel. Although we didn't get to use the spa or pool, the facilities are beautiful. Our room was clean and all staff was very helpful and professional. The location is great, midway between Del Mar and La Jolla, right on the main drag and near the I5.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for sharing your stay. Glad to hear you enjoyed our convenient location for La Jolla and Del Mar. You must come back and experience our pool!

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Well.. I wanted to wait a couple of weeks before I posted this review, since I didn't want the 'afterglow' of the experience to influence this.. but guess what? The afterglow never ended: I still feel that this Hilton not only hit a home run here, but "knocked it out of the park!" Where to start? Beautiful, huge room.. massive balcony... stunning views of the ocean and golf course.. phenomenal bed/linens/comforter/pillows.. in fact, this is the ONLY hotel I've ever stayed at in which I sleep BETTER than in my own bed.. I am extremely picky and even pack my own pillow sometimes when I travel. But not here! And I am very grateful for the the extreme desert-like like quiet at night. When it's time for sleep, I like it quiet, and here I heard NO noise of any kind.. just a perfect experience in every way..

And this is just the room.. the rest of the hotel is amazing as well. The food is great, the grounds are beautiful.. the pool and spa and amenities.. I could go on and on.. As just one little example, my girlfriend ordered a fruit cup from room service for breakfast. I expected a regular little cup of fruit as we get so often in other places.. Not here.. Instead, a huge BOWL of a great variety of fruit arrived.. Just yet another pleasant surprise here at the Torrey Pines Hilton.

In short, our room looked like a "million bucks." We were very impressed and so were our guests.. If you want to impress friends, or just enjoy a great stay yourself, THIS is the place!

Room Tip: There isn't a bad room in the entire hotel.. but my favorite rooms are the corner rooms and sui...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joseph G

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! We are thrilled you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. We take pride is providing a relaxing and memorable stay for our guests. See you soon!