“Pristine hotel with super bathrooms”

Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed for a Friday and Saturday night and loved the hotel. The rooms are large, very comfortable and the bathrooms are functional and stunning. We both had trouble leaving the shower. The common areas are all clean and comfortable and the food is very good - in fact some of the best we have had in a chain hotel.

There is a large pool and jacuzzi which leaves enough space for everyone even when busy. The two large fire pits are also a blessing at night.

The hotel is set overlooking the famous golf course and has some stunning views of the both the golf and the pacific ocean. You can also stroll into the Torrey Pines national park from the hotel and the park really is worth a visit. The beautiful area of La Jolla is only a 10 minute drive away and San Diego centre 20 - 30 minutes on the interstate. So all in all a fantastic location.

Service everywhere in the hotel is very good and for the standard of hotel and location we found it good value.

There are two downsides. No complimentary in room wi-fi and the sound proofing between rooms is terrible. Not to put too finer a point on it you can hear a lot going on in the bathrooms above and this spoiled the stay a tad. Without the sound proofing issue the hotel would be an easy 5 star rating.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nick H
Samira M, Public Relations Manager at Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your stay! Great to hear you liked our renovated bathrooms and showers :). Definitely luxurious! We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

A very nice property on the legendary golf course. I'll start off by saying that we were given the wrong room the first night and had to switch to a small room for the next night before moving again to a large suite for the next two nights. I was told that has happened maybe once before, but man, did these guys do everything they could to make up for it. Yeah it was a little inconvenient, but the staff moved all our stuff and they gave us a pile of promos. Overall, a very good response to an awkward situation. Huge thanks to the restaurant staff. My children have anaphylactic food allergies. We ate at the on site restaurant for all breakfasts and dinners and the chefs and servers were totally on this. There were no problems at all and everything was possible. Chef David invented a new type of "no egg" pancake that looked better than what I had - so much better that my oldest was suspicious and demanded that I go to the kitchen to make sure these were the special pancakes. They were! My girls loved the mountains of specially prepared bacon. Fantastic time and great people. We are looking forward to staying again when we are next in the San Diego area.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to share your five star review! We are thrilled you and your family enjoyed our hotel and service. We aim to help make every guest feel comfortable when they are staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 20 April 2014

I've stayed at this hotel twice and have been very satisfied with my stay. I had excellent service from Mandy M in the restaurant every night. She provided great service and was very helpful. I travel frequently to La Jolla and hope to return to this hotel!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Samira M, Public Relations Manager at Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Thanks for sharing your stay! We hope you will return to Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines the next time you are in town. We will share your review with Mandy :)

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Nicely appointed rooms, spotless grounds and a very friendly and accommodating staff are the high points. The price was definitely fair, unless you object to paying $25 a night for parking and another $20 / day for internet access. I was there for business but took the family along. The rooms are spacious, so we never felt crowded, and the beds were very comfortable.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Samira M, Public Relations Manager at Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Thank you for sharing your stay! We are happy you and your family enjoyed our spacious guest rooms and our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back, either for business or pleasure. :)

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Rooms were excellently serviced, from the bathroom amenities to the comfortable mattress. Wi-Fi in room is additional. We had an emergency and had to leave earlier than planned. The staff were very accommodating and super understanding!! If back in the area we would definitely stay here!
We walked around the property and hiked a few trails. It was perfect. Also, the lunch on the terrace when we first arrived was delicious as well!! We attended a wedding here as well. The outdoor ceremony and reception were excellent!! What a lovely venue for a wedding! Although not golfers, this is where Tiger Woods played and won his 3rd US Open in 2008.

Room Tip: A room with a golf course and ocean view. There are balconies but we just went outside.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank P C

Thank you for taking the time to share your stay and for your great review! Great to hear you enjoyed the views our hotel has to offer throughout the property. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Hi, stayed at the hotel for a business conference last week. Rooms are in excellent condition, renovated. Hotel cannot be be better located as next to Torrey Pines Golf course. I travel a lot and I can say that this hotel is one of the best I have seen. Service is excellent. Specifically at the hotel bar where Mandy, our server, paid attention to everyone's requests. She even offered a free dessert for my birthday. Way to go Mandy!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for sharing your stay! We are thrilled you enjoyed our getaway location on the prestigious Torrey Pines Golf Course. We will share your kind words with Mandy ;)

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Background: our travel office selected this hotel for me based on its proximity to where I was working , as there were no hotels within the government per-diem rate nearby. I was here for 19 days.

It was one of the lousier hotel experiences I have had in a long time.

Service: I was not notified when packages and mail were delivered to the hotel for me, but had to track them down. I have stayed at Holiday Inn Expresses, that put such materials in my room, yet this Hilton could not even leave me a message.

I was unable to get a luggage cart to move equipment to my car unescorted. One has to use the bell-hop to move anything one cannot hand carry. Hotel policy. While it may be nice to have that service available if one needs it, it should not be forced down your throat.

You have to pay to park here, and the cost is ridiculous. There is little difference between the park it yourself fee and the valet parking fee; all parking is listed as valet parking on the bill, which makes it extremely hard to justify to your travel accountants as it looks like you splurged.

Trash was routinely left in my room, and not removed on a daily basis. The red swizzle stick that was on the floor when I arrived was still there when I left. The cleaning staff used the bedside clock radio while they were in the room, and left it on all day when they left, so you come back to whatever they were interested in listening to.

The fancy glass panels that enclosed the shower were ineffective; it was impossible to take a shower without splashing a significant amount of water all over the bathroom floor. The bathroom door juts out into the walk-way into the room when left open; moronic design layout.

Room service prices were exorbitant. $23 for a cheeseburger? Really? I bought a case of bottled water in a grocery store for what they charged for a bottle of it in their lobby store. It is impossible to live on government per-diem rates if you eat at this hotel.

This is an isolated, resort style facility. The only things within walking distance are bio-tech firms and a hospital. You either have to go out to eat or eat here. I have reviewed the restaurant elsewhere on this site; I went once and would not return.

The "business" center is two computers in the open lobby area with no privacy. Both internet and cell service in the room were intermittently available and slow when they were available. Outlets are few and far between.

My room (as most do) overlooked a garden area that was frequently used for outdoor conference events. These often featured bands oft music that played too loud, too late. They cater here to their conference people, not to their hotel guests.

This hotel does not feature express checkout. You have to go to the front desk to get your bill. Although I discussed it with the front desk the evening before I checked out, my bill was not available when I left, and they were not able to provide it until they emailed it to me while on was on a flight half-way across the country. The bill should be available at anytime the customer wants to see it, at the front desk, so it can be reviewed, discussed and disputed if necessary in person, before the guest leaves. If you have a cross country flight out of San Diego earlier than 0700, you will not be able to get a bill here in timely enough fashion to make it to the airport for your flight. This and this alone is an utter failure of the most basic responsibility of any lodging.

This facility does not remotely meet the standard that Conrad Hilton set for his hotels. It was an embarrassment across the board. Absolutely no way I would stay here again or recommend this facility to anyone. Stay somewhere else. This was 19 days of misery.

Room Tip: Choose one at another hotel.
7  Thank Eric A

Thank you for your feedback of your stay with us at our hotel. We understand that you were not satisfied with some of the services and we are deeply disappointed by this. We did leave you a message on your room guest phone and turned the notification light on in regards to your packages. As a full-service hotel, we assist all guests with luggage and luggage carts. We also do offer express check-out via the in-room TV and you can always call the front desk to check-out over the phone. We no longer put copies of bills under the guest room door, as an initiative to save paper waste and support our green efforts. We hope you do give us another chance when you are back in San Diego.

Also consider these accommodations in or near La Jolla
#1 of 24 in La Jolla
Hilton San Diego Bayfront
Hilton San Diego Bayfront
#76 of 279 in San Diego

Been to Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines? Share your experiences!