“Horrible Internet”

Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Stayed in this hotel on a business trip. I am in sales and selected the hotel. The President of my company and a couple other execs stayed here as well based on my selection. Internet speed turned out horrible and they said there was nothing they could do about it. It was under 2mbps. They also charged $15.95 per day. (They comped that after I complained) I am currently on an airplane over the United States and getting 8 times that speed! No excuse for their lousy internet speed. Needless to say, it was not a good career move for me to stay here and recommend to my associates. Also, coffee bar is closed during middle of the day for no good reason. There seems to be plenty of people around to use it., Rooms are a bit dated although my bathroom was updated.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a "good view". My has really no view.
1  Thank pubmitz
Samira M, Manager at Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

We’re sorry we didn’t provide the high quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we have addressed the issues you mentioned. We try to make each guest experience a great one at our hotel and your satisfaction is important to us. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you’ll give us another opportunity soon to make your stay the best it can be.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,622)

Reviewed 23 July 2014

The Hilton Torrey Pines gives you what you would expect from a Hilton. The hotel is in a good location between many of the attractions north of San Diego. However, it is between many of the attractions and you have to drive to La Jolla or to del Mar. There is nowhere to walk to and no beach access, so if you have kids the options within the hotel to entertain them are limited. The pool is fine - but there's a limit to how long you can splash around for. Watch out for the extras. This hotel charges $5.50 for a bottle of water in the room! and $15.00 per day for in room Wi-Fi access. There can't be many places that charge for this these days. They also charge $25/ day for self park in the hotel, despite having plenty of parking available. Parking at the beaches nearby will cost you something similar - so you may end up spending $50/day just on car parking! On the good side, the staff are are friendly and very helpful - even on departure.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for sharing your review via TripAdvisor. We are happy you enjoyed our service and hotel. We offer complimentary children activities poolside on the weekends as well. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

The food in this hotel is so bad. Everything from the coffee stand to the restaurant to the banquet food was a flavorless disappointment. Plan on leaving for restaurants in La Jolla if you stay here. The good news is there are ample Uber cars in the area so getting to a decent restaurant is not too difficult.

The room was clean and the location cannot be beat. I hiked in the state park every morning before my meeting, which was a great perk.

2  Thank nova5star

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest input. We will use your comments as we continue to evolve our guests' experience. We do hope you will stay with us the next time you are in La Jolla.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

While in town visiting some customer one of them mentioned that the CFO and himself had not played Torrey Pines south course and another vendor was going to take them out there. I decided to stay the property so I could hit a quick meeting and be back for the tee time. Hotel is updated and has spectacular views. Rooms are a little tough to get to if you are on the far north side. Staff was great and the bellman were quick to run people back and forth to the golf course. One trick I did figure out is that if you cannot get on to Torrey Pines to play with a resident. You can reserve tee times several weeks in advance with a confirmation of staying in the Hotel. I will be back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel! We are thrilled you were able to golf at the famous Torrey Pines Golf Course. We have special tee times set aside just for our guests :) See you next time!

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I have never been so mortified after staying at a hotel that I have been compelled to write a review.

I stayed here during July 4th weekend and left a necklace on counter, which was admittedly my own fault. Came back 30 minutes after checking out since I realized that I had left it in the room. Was directed to security who mentioned he would speak with housecleaning and get back to me. No surprise that housekeeping was "adamant" that nothing was found but will be on the lookout and will call to follow up several days later after they have had a chance to speak with the full staff.

Of course I received no such call. Followed up myself several times before receiving a call from the security office. I have now been directed to file an insurance claim and / or police report.
Funny how another reviewer had their shoes stolen too, which later miraculously ended up in lost and found.

CLEARLY, THERE IS AN ISSUE WITH THE HOUSEKEEPING STAFF.

Beautiful property but that isn't tough to find down in SD - would stay away unless you want your belongings taken away and now, never will I see the necklace that my grandmother left me again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Bonnie H
Samira M, Manager at Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

We understand your frustrations and we have been waiting on receiving additional information from you so we may move forward. This is not typical of our hotel and staff and we try to make each guest experience a great one at our hotel and your satisfaction is important to us. Please contact our security department at your earliest convenience.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We were upgraded to a suite since we were traveling with 2 adult children. The suite was massive - a living room with pull- out couch, a dining/conference room and a master suite, two bathrooms and 3 separate patios. Breakfast was great sitting outside overlooking the pool. Clean with extremely friendly service. 2 mile hike, and I do mean hike, to the beach where we saw dolphins and seals. Golfed at Torrey Pines just for the experience. Drove to several area beach towns - Bird Rock, Pacific Beach, La Jolla and Solana. Next time, we'll visit Del Mar. Just couldn't fit it all in this trip. Will stay here again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for the fabulous 5 star review! We are thrilled you experienced what our hotel and our location has to offer. Looking forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I recently attended an industry conference and was not impressed by this hotel. I found the facilities to be out of date, the food mediocre and staff unaccommodating. I asked for a room to be ready for an early arrival as I needed a place to store breastmilk and pump. I called days in advance as well as a few hours before I arrived and they told me they were unable to block a room for me but 2 out of the 3 co-workers I was with which arrived at the same time were given rooms in the same category a room. I also asked for a kind instead of a double, they said it would be over $100 a night extra and then a co-worker was given that room type at no extra cost. I asked for late check out so I could pump before I left and they said the latest they could give me without charging was till 1pm but a co-worker was granted till 2pm. They had no good suggestions of how I could store milk until i left so I had to borrow a co-workers room. Very unaccommodating!!

Room Tip: I liked that everyone had a balcony. Stay away from grass as they dye it green and a few peoples sho...
2  Thank bayareamomma
Samira M, Manager at Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest input and apologize for the confusion and frustration you encountered. Our guest rooms do have refrigerators for your convenience. Early check-in and check-out requests are based on availability on each room. We use bio-degradable, vegetable base for our lawn care and we are happy we were able to clean your shoes for you. We hope you’ll consider giving us a second chance if you return to the area.