“Will always eat here when in the vicinity”
Review of India Palace

India Palace
Ranked #140 of 1,241 Restaurants in La Jolla
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Alameda, California
“Will always eat here when in the vicinity”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Wide menu selection, knowledgeable and friendly service, delightful food, huge portions. My wife had a paneer dish and I had lamb. I enjoyed our leftovers for lunch the next day.

Visited July 2013

Belleville, Illinois
“Very Friendly and a great value”
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I was extremely happy with the lunch buffet selection. Kept my water glass full and even helped me find a seat close to an outlet as my phone needed to be charged. The buffet was $12 which was a little more than I wanted to pay and is why I rated 4/5 and not 5/5. The food is delicious and probably worth the $12 to most people. All in all I would recommend this restaurant.

• Visited June 2013
Los Angeles, CA
“Not very authentic”
Reviewed 16 April 2013

India Palace is a small restaurant on University Avenue in a shopping mall. Almost all the waiters and the cook are all from the same town close to Jullundar in Punjab, India, and most restaurateurs in US are from this area. The food you get is usually very authentic.

Unfortunately that was not the case for us. We ordered Onion Bhaji (onion fritters deep fried), aloo-gobhi (potatoes and cauliflower), dhal, yogurt, roti and carrot halwa (dessert). The onion bhaji almost tasted like onion rings without the gentle spicing of the Indian type. The aloo-gobhi did not have an authentic sauce and had no resemblance to the genuine stuff. Our worst experience was with the carrot halwa. This dish takes a long time to cook and cannot be made instantly. Ours tasted like some cooked carrots in hot milk with sugar! We returned the dish and they took it back without a fuss.

The service is quite good. We noticed a large number of local clientale and perhaps the food is geared towards them. Our dishes, ordered medium spiced, turned out to be quite hot.

• Visited April 2013
Toronto, Canada
“surprisingly ordinary given the excellent reviews”
Reviewed 16 February 2013

I went with high expectations given the excellent reviews. Certainly the staff were friendly, but the food was rather ordinary and not that special. Nevertheless, good value for money. Restaurant could do with more spice.

• Visited January 2013
Charlotte
“Ok but not the real deal”
Reviewed 13 November 2012

I had dinner here tonight. The food was ok if a little expensive. The chicken was a little "rubbery" if you pardon the English joke. It was ok but not great.

• Visited November 2012