“Great hotel on the ocean”
Review of Pantai Inn

Pantai Inn
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
San Diego
“Great hotel on the ocean”
Reviewed 8 January 2012

I'm writing this review as I'm sitting on the full-length deck outside of our room enjoying the ocean waves and watching a few dolphins dive through the whitewater. This is a gorgeous room with a gorgeous view. I'm staying in Room 208 which is the the nicest room in the hotel. While many rooms have ocean views, this appears to be the only one with a full room-length deck and I imagine that it will always be booked once this hotel becomes more well known.

The hotel has just recently opened and the rooms are brand new. In fact, part of the hotel is still under construction and many rooms are being remodeled. So I can't say what the final layout of the hotel will look like. As I walked around the grounds, I noticed that the hotel appears to be a collection of different buildings and each is has a slightly different decor. I mention this b/c it appears that since there are a variety of buildings here, the room layouts and ocean views may differ greatly from one room or building to another. Although I haven't been in the other rooms to confirm this (and they are all under construction anyway), when booking a room, it might be a good idea to talk to someone in the office to describe your room and it's amenities. One style of room might suit you better than another.

Pantai Inn has an Indonesian theme and the room interior is beautiful. Throughout the kitchen and bathroom, the walls are inlaid with light colored stones, and the shower has an arched entry. The hand-pounded copper sinks add to the authenticity. We also had a full kitchen and it would have been nice to make our own dinner if we were staying longer.

Windows to the deck fully open. This makes it easy to sit on the ledge with a cup of tea and enjoy the beautiful view while staying warm inside the room. It was also easy to talk to our friends who were sitting on the deck and freshen their cup of tea.

While I'm not a fan of watching TV while on vacation (I like enjoying the natural views and sounds of the waves), the flatscreen TVs have all the cable channels, multiple Showtime options, and all in HD. There is a ~60" (?) and another 40"(?) in the bedroom. There was not a DVD player or pay-per-view movies available.

The service is very friendly and prompt. When requesting room service, Caleb from the front desk was at my room within a minute and was very nice.

I loved my stay at Pantai Inn! It was very relaxing and had gorgeous decor. But since the hotel is still under construction, the management might be open to a few minor suggestions if they come across this review.

I love drinking tea and the room only had a few tea bags for green tea. Since the hotel is Indonesian-themed, I would have liked to have some Indonesian teas available and more variety in flavors.

Since we loved the room so much, we wanted to stay in rather than go out to eat in La Jolla. Since the hotel does not have a restaurant, having an off-site room service option (or sample menus from nearby restaurants that deliver) would have made it easy for us to order food from our room so that we could enjoy our dinner with a sunset ocean view. In the morning, we were thinking about going to a local restaurant for breakfast, but the continental breakfast has a nice selection of fresh fruit, bagels, and muffins. We filled our trays and enjoyed breakfast by the ocean rather than going out.

With the hotel being directly on the ocean, it does gets chilly at night. It would have been nice to have extra blankets in the closet (the room service did promptly bring us more when requested). However, the fireplace in the living room kept the room warm and cozy and gave it a romantic ambiance. The fireplace is also on a timer so that you don't accidentally leave it on.

There were robes laid out on the beds when we arrived, but none of us realized how cool it would be in the morning with the ocean breezes. It would have been nice to have some slippers to wear with the robes. Even a thin slipper that you get with some airlines would have been nice to take off the chill.

The pillow mints were actually cappuccino toffees that you would find at a local grocery store. For a hotel room as nice as this, having something that keeps with the Indonesian theme would have been good.

The TVs were not centered with the bed layout and you have to turn your head or body a bit to watch it. This was obviously due to having a lot of windows in the room and the TV had to be to the side a bit. Of course, when staying right in the heart of La Jolla and being steps from the ocean, you don't want to waste your time in front of the TV anyway. But for the rooms still under construction, trying to get the TVs centered with the bed layout as much as possible would be preferable.

Of course, these complaints are minor quibbles because the room is beautiful and being right on the ocean is fantastic. I highly recommend staying at Pantai Inn and am looking forward to a future visit.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank SocialInsider_123
Pantai_Inn_Family, Manager at Pantai Inn, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
Dear Socialinsider_123,

We here at the Pantai Inn truly appreciate your in-depth review of our property. Your suggestions have been helpful for us and our staff. We would also like to apologize about the tea misunderstanding, we have a variety of Balinese teas available in the Lobby of the hotel and we are deeply sorry that they were never offered to you. As for the television in the room not being centered it is the only layout that accommodated that size television. Perhaps your next stay we will be able to set you up with a different room to remedy this situation. Caleb would also like to extend his gratitude for you mentioning him in your post he prides himself on going above and beyond to satisfy our guests. We hope that if you plan to visit La Jolla in the near future you would consider staying with us again.

Guest Services Supervisor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
San Diego
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Situated on the coast of gorgeous La Jolla, California is this new, boutique Bali-themed hotel. I had the pleasure of staying there last month and wish my visit were longer! Absolutely gorgeous surroundings and an impeccable property, along with guest services which redefine service, made for an incredible experience.
From the moment you arrive, you know you are at a special place: there is no "front desk," as the friendly staff literally come to you while you sit comfortably in the reception area. No detail has been overlooked. From the water features and fountains, to the multiple flat screen TVs and hammered copper sinks, this is a destination not to be missed! What the owners have done here is nothing short of a miracle. I have traveled around the world several times and I have yet to be embraced as warmly and comfortably as I was at the Pantai Inn.

Room Tip: This is a brand new property. I recommend any room - all are very close to the ocean and most if not...
4 Thank SanDiegoCh3
Dear SanDiegoCH3,

We here at the Pantai Inn truly appreciate your review of our property. It is due positive helpful posts like yours that our hotel is continuing to thrive. I realize this post is probably from when you were highlighting Bob Rauch, but next time when you are thinking about a hotel in La Jolla please keep us in mind we would love to accommodate you.

San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed 3 January 2012

In most hotels, you have to plan transportation to good area restaurants or eat in the lobby cafe, you have to do the same if you want to shop, it takes effort to get to where you can walk along a beach or surf or ride a bicycle or just sit in front of your room and watch the ocean...and even then, when you do climb into bed or just go inside the room, you sacrificed a cramped room and a crummy bed to get them. Not so with Pantai, you can relax and enjoy EVERYTHING! Really comfortable beds, a giant shower head, roomy kitchen, killer LCD TVs and comfortable furnishings. And then, a block away is the Rodeo Drive of San Diego, shops, multiple five star restaurants, art galleries, museums and you're right on La Jolla Cove, a natural underwater park. There's a problem, though. Once you check in, you're not going to want to leave...

Room Tip: There's a patio on the bottom floor room on the ocean side and if you stay in the rooms at the e...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Mark B
Dear MarkB,

We here at the Pantai Inn truly appreciate your review of our property. We are starting to sell rooms at an accelerated rate and it is due to positive and helpful posts like yours. Please next time you are thinking about coming to La Jolla keep us in mind, we would love to have you and your family stay with us again. Also please keep an eye on our website for specials and packages that you maybe interested in.

Cheers,
Stratford, Canada
Reviewed 27 December 2011

I have been in La Jolla for a month and a half on business staying at an extended stay a bit out of town. My girlfriend came in to visit and I wanted to have a perfect romantic week. Pantai Inn was all I could have possibly asked for. I wish I could have taken more pictures. Our four post bed with linen tie-up curtains were so romantic and the linens were lush and so comfortable. The TVs in both the bed room and living room were tremendous HD flat screens and best of all SO easy to use. We wanted for nothing and were given all the attention we desired. If I make it back to La Jolla I have no question in my mind where I'll be staying.

2 Thank joshpaulyoung
Dear JoshPaulYoung,

We here at the Pantai Inn truly appreciate your review of our property. We try to provide the best service, best product, and best experience for our guests. I remember you and your girlfriend staying with us in suite 202 if I am not mistaken, please next time you are thinking about coming to La Jolla let us know and we will keep that room available for you.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 25 December 2011

The Pantai Inn in La Jolla just opened and I was one of its first guests. The hotel gives the best of both worlds--you have the impression of living in a modern, spacious cottage or cabana and yet, you have all the amenities of a four star hotel. The staff is young and dynamic and know how to cater to your every need. The property is beautiful and it is right along the beach. The staff asks you personally what you would like for breakfast each morning. I imagine it will be hard to book rooms here once it becomes well-known.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Cheryl094
Dear Cheryl094,

We here at the Pantai Inn truly appreciate your review of our property. I personally feel as though it was a beautiful representation of what he have to offer here in La Jolla. And rooms are starting to be booked and quickly and it is thanks to all of the wonderful reviews you and others have been posting on sites like this one. Hopefully the next time you decide to visit La Jolla you will choose us as for your accommodations.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 9 December 2011

Beautiful hotel, amazing location, friendly staff, can't wait until the hotel is 100% finished

1 Thank Ragimus
Dear Ragimus,

We here at the Pantai truly appreciate you taking the time to review us on tripadvisor. Hopefully you will come back and stay with us especially when the hotel is 100% finished it will be an even better experience than your first stay guaranteed.

Also consider these accommodations in or near La Jolla
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#5 of 278 in San Diego
Empress Hotel
#3 of 24 in La Jolla

Been to Pantai Inn? Share your experiences!