“6 stars. Location, service, everything is 6 stars.”
Review of Pantai Inn

Pantai Inn
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
San Diego, California
“6 stars. Location, service, everything is 6 stars.”
Reviewed 7 September 2012

After much debate and research on where to spend our San Diego vacation labor day week, we settled on the pantai inn. I had some trouble at first determining if this was the right call for the following reasons. For anyone not sure if this is the right place to stay, let me answer the questions I had about this place:

1. Location: this was my biggest concern. Not being at all familiar with the area, I wasn't sure that I would really get the 'vacation vibe' without staying somewhere like the Hotel Del Coronado. Turns out I was way wrong.

After staying here, I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else on the California coast, much less anywhere else in San Diego. What's really weird to me is that it seems they're UNDERSELLING the location. You're steps from several small beaches where you can get in the water or put down a towel and tan. Or watch seals and seagulls play. Or watch the waves crash against the cliffs. Or sit in the park and watch the sun set or have a picnic (this ended up being our favorite part of the trip). Walk along the coast and watch the sun set or walk up the street to dozens of dining options of all varieties, from smash burger and Jose's Mexican to high end eateries. You'll never have a shortage of things to do without ever getting in a car.

2. Service: it's an inn - how does it compare to a chain hotel? Again, this trip makes me want to never stay at a chain hotel on vacation again (and I travel a good deal). Every single person here has been unbelievably nice. The groundskeeper, the people at the desk, the housekeepers... Unbelievable. Everyone seems genuinely happy and they really seem to care about how to make the experience as good as possible. I've never experienced service like this.

I also need to mention that the housekeepers do an excellent job. Totally above and beyond, and they should be recognized for their hard work.

3. The property and amenities: again, it's hard to explain in words how nice this place is. As I type this I'm looking out the window of our suite at the waves of the pacific while the huge LED HDTV is on mute and the gas fireplace is going. Came here with my wife and it's been the most romantic setting we've ever experienced... It even beats our honeymoon in the virgin islands in a rented villa overlooking the Caribbean and the islands. The property is so beautiful that I've seen several people every day stop and take pictures in front of the water features - and I'm not watching for it.

There are high end blankets and beach towels in the suite. There are towels galore, and they're replaced twice(!) daily during turndown and daily housekeeping services. We get fruit infused water each evening and sometimes coffee in the lobby. The outside courtyard are overlooks the ocean and has comfortable furniture.

I almost hate to say this, but I'm surprised the Pantai isn't charging twice as much as they are. This place is outstanding. If you're unsure about staying here, put your doubts to rest. It doesn't get any better than this.

Room Tip: Suite 202 overlooks the ocean From the living room. This was a "partial ocean view" 1br su...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank loutravlr
Pantai_Inn_Family, General Manager at Pantai Inn, responded to this review, 21 September 2012
Dear loutravlr,

Thank you so much for such kind words. We sincerely appreciate the time you took in writing your comments and nothing makes us happier than to see that you had a great time and that you found our service to be exceptional.
We look forward to welcoming you soon a Pantai Inn.
Terima Kasih,
(As they say in Bali, Thank you)

Bernardo Zavala
Sales and Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Texas
Reviewed 28 August 2012

I almost didn't write a review because there are so many awesome reviews of this inn already. But that wouldn't be fair. It is an amzing location - right across from the ocean. Room 108 has a porch looking right at the ocean and you can clearly hear the waves. The suite is big and suitable for a family. Has a clever Murphy bed in the living room. Service is great. The bed is more comfortable than at home. The breakfast is ample and good selection of cereal and pastry and perfectly ripe fruit. everything is amaculately clean. Only criticism is could use more counter space in the bathroom.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank DDPTexas
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 25 August 2012

My husband and I had an amazing stay at the Pantai Inn (from the day we walked in until the time we checked out). Everything was perfect! The view of the ocean is spectacular across the street from Pantai Inn and the children's pool is nearby. The entrance to our room had a gorgeous landscape. The one-bedroom villa that we were in was very spacious and very well-maintained. The rooms were immaculate. The surrounding area was beautifulIy landscaped and they pay attention to details. I was very impressed with the Balinese furnitures in every room. I especially adored the bathroom with rain shower, the fireplace, the king-sized canopy bed (the most comfortable bed ever!) and the sitting/breakfast area with the view of the ocean. The complimentary high-speed internet was fast. The complimentary breakfast was delicious and beautifully presented. The service was excellent! The entire staff were outstanding and genuinely friendly and very attentive to all your needs. They made you feel at home. Special thanks to Bernardo, Ryan and Mark for going above and beyond to make our stay even more pleasurable. We will be back soon!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Rancho Palos Verdes, California
Reviewed 11 August 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Pantai Inn to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. We found this gem based on the outstanding reviews of previous visitors. The entire staff was genuinely friendly, hard working, and always had a smile on their faces. The lobby and patio area were serene and beautiful. Joseph kept the grounds immaculate. The thoughtfully designed landscaping was always well maintained and, with seabirds ever present, he kept the walkways and railings clean. Our room was a spacious and comfortable "one-bedroom villa with a partial ocean view" and, although we weren’t sure what our view would be like before we arrived, we were not disappointed. Since the Pantai Inn is located right on a narrow street with the ocean just on the other side, we could see the ocean from our living room window and we could be on the beach with a full ocean view in less than one minute. The free on-site parking and convenient location made it a joy to walk everywhere we wanted. We appreciated the Balinese furniture and carved items throughout the Pantai property. We enjoyed the special touches, such as the beautifully presented and plentiful continental breakfast, the outdoor patio, 24-hour fruit infused water, coffee, teas and sweets in the lobby, double rain shower heads, Turkish towels, and plush Italian bedding. The hand carved Balinese bed was gorgeous and the mattress and linens amazingly comfortable. The turn down bed service with chocolates and robes laid on the bed was simply bliss. On our first night, after a long walk along the ocean, we returned to our room to find the fireplace lit and a hand written card wishing us a Happy 25th Anniversary. Thank you to the entire staff of the Pantai Inn for taking the time and care to make your place so unique and for making our stay so memorable!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mfk3
Reviewed 4 August 2012

My husband and I recently stayed there on our Wedding Night! We came across the paradise of Pantai Inn when doing a morning walk through La Jolla. The Waterfall caught our eye and when we walked in we were so amazed by how intimate and true to Bali the Inn felt. My husband has been to Bali a few times and every piece of this place is imported from Bali so it makes you really experience a piece of Bali.

The staff was personable, friendly, informative, helpful and down to earth. They helped us plan our wedding night. I stayed there with my mom the night before and all of my bridesmaids and I got ready in the Ocean View Suite! The shower was AMAZING, double shower heads and great bath products, the fire place was beautiful and the view was perfect. In the morning they have a delicious spread for breakfast! Organic coffees and teas, pastries, fresh fruit, yogurt, granola, bagels, jams, soymilk, almond milk and juices! I was very impressed and happy. There is a cute courtyard to enjoy peacefully in the morning, we opted for our suite porch that overlooked the ocean!

We were so thankful and though it was such a sweet touch that the staff wrote a beautiful card and decorated our room for our wedding night! Had a bottle of champagne and chocolates for us and the fire place on! The beds were SOOOO comfortable! Plush and cozy we felt like we were on a cloud. We liked them so much we asked the owner what kind they were and went and bought a brand new one for ourselves!

I would HIGHLY recommend this quaint, cozy paradise to any of my friends or family. It is the perfect location in La Jolla walking distance to anything, beautiful and pleasant :)

Happy Newlyweds,
The Clarks

Room Tip: Ocean view Suite!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sharina C
Reviewed 27 July 2012 via mobile

My husband and I could not have a more amazing and memorable time at Pantai Inn. We celebrated our anniversary and enjoyed La Jolla to the best!! Hazel, Caleb, Joel, Ryan, the staff at Pantai Inn are amazing. Our room was breath-taking the champagne WOW!!! The chocalate Our room was 208 the most beautiful room ever. We are returning in September for another getwaway. On a scale of 1-10 they are a 20.

Love you guys... Ida and Rudy

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ida B
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I stumbled across The Pantai Inn a few weeks ago and haven't stopped dreaming of my next visit! It is truly a slice of Eden... Cleverly hidden behind yellow brick and red tile lies a paradise waiting for you..The staff greeting with a 5 Diamond smile is only mirrored by the enchantment you feel when you open your door and walk into the suite, "a million miles away" from wherever you happen to be from.. Beautiful decor, heavenly beds, artwork carefully chosen..I knew that not one detail had been overlooked and the comfort and spirit of the guests were all this Inn has in mind..The location, the staff, the view...Congratulations Pantai Inn..You are where dreams come true..and other hotels can only hope to be..

Room Tip: Take your pick..EVERY room is simply amazing!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 278 in San Diego
Hyatt Regency La Jolla
#9 of 24 in La Jolla

Been to Pantai Inn? Share your experiences!