“Lovely boutique hotel and superb location!”
Review of Pantai Inn

Pantai Inn
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
California City, California
“Lovely boutique hotel and superb location!”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We stayed here last March 25-27, 2014. My husband found this hotel online since he wanted a hotel near the La Jolla shores where i can walk around while he is out working. Boy was a glad he found this nice boutique hotel. I just love the fact that you just have to cross this small road and your already by the beach. Its also a short walk to the La Jolla cove where hundreds of seals are resting by the shores.

We were given a room without a view because my husband forgot to state his preferred room upon booking. Nevertheless, we were happy with our cottage style room. It has its own kitchen complete with utensils, dinning area and a living room with a sofa bed. So this is a good place to stay for a whole family. But since its made of all wood, it is very audible everytime the next room open and closes their doors. But it was tolerable especially we were hardly in our room. Daily housekeeping is limited to changing of towels and linens. Their Bali inspired lobby area gives you that resort feel which i really love.

The room comes with free continental breakfast for two and free parking. There is also free coffee,tea, water and fruits at the lobby. The male frontdesk clerk was also very amiable. We will definitely book here again on my husband's next business trip in the San diego area.

Tip: get a room overlooking the beach. You should also try Bubba's smokehouse BBQ which is just walking distance from Pantai Inn.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Gsl_9292013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Scottsdale, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We stayed in a great room facing the ocean and from the living room and bedroom you could see the ocean and listen to the waves all night. Great place, nice breakfast, and very large rooms. The staff are amazing and very ready and willing to help. It the kind of place that I would recommend to anyone and everyone. There is a kitchen in the room, but all the nice dinning restaurants are well within an easy walk.

Room Tip: Spend a little extra and get the room facing the ocean. You will love it.
1 Thank Tony W
Dallas K, General Manager at Pantai Inn, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Hi Tony W, Thank you for the great review! We are flattered by your comments and glad that our location over the Pacific set the tone for an unforgettable stay. We look forward to creating many more wonderful memories for you in the future.

phoenix arizona
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Charm, beauty, warmth, location, peace, character and cleanliness! Clearly, I'm in love with Pantai and I've stayed everywhere in La jolla. Pantai is located right on The Park that runs right along the prettiest part of the ocean in LJ. You will walk to the front of this jewel line property and be where everybody staying in some big bland hotel wants to be. You can walk, picnic, watch the sunset, swim at The Cove, or go up to Prospect where all the action, walking only a few blocks in any direction. My room, 2003, was a 1 bedroom w full kitchen with lovely Polynesian furnishings. The indoor plants are silk and tasteful and the outdoor plants are very real, very well tended and perfectly tropical. There are so many nice places to sit, read, have a cocktail and watch the ocean over the park. My room also had a big deck with comfy outdoor furniture. One wall facing the flowery ( live, with grass) courtyard had a huge wood framed window that opened into pockets and have my room a treehouse outdoor sensation, wonderful in this climate. The fireplace was toasty and cozy when it turned foggy and cool. The bed (imported from Malaysia) was sensuous with yummy linens that made me so sad not to have brought my Someone along. Hotel literature always claims its staff is warm and helpful but at this property, it's actually true. This is like the Hawaii of my childhood in the 1950's, true hospitality. Now please don't spoil my fun and go there expecting a Westin. It's a B & B with self catering capabilities. It is also blissfully quiet, especially after dark, so it's great for the romantics and families and not so great for big noisy drunky groups. Although what a wonderful place it would be for a wedding. The Continental breakfast was fresh and delicious and If you want eggs buy a dozen and some butter, go down to the buffet for fruit toast bagels pastry (bakery, not plastic packages) yogurt coffee and cereal and take it to your room,cook the eggs on the stove and you will have a delightful meal. Rooms fully equipped for that, plates, a dining table, like your own sweet apartment. I gave up la jolla years ago in favor of north county beach towns but I'm coming back just because this little place is such a lovely exception to the same old same old in lodging.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank cvc921
Bowdle, sd
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We spent 8 nights at one of the vacation rentals that is managed by the Pantai staff and the service was exceptional! Daniel was a delight! We stopped in for a visit whenever we noticed he was working, wonderful addition to the staff! We had a delicious breakfast every morning overlooking the ocean with numerous items to choose from, fresh fruit, delicious pastries, homemade bread, all very tasty. Our room was right across from the Ellen Browning Scrips park which was lush and green, La Jolla Cove within walking distance along with seals! Great place to stay, will be back!

1 Thank ncsaknecht
Dallas K, General Manager at Pantai Inn, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We love to hear feedback from our guests and we are pleased that you enjoyed our delicious complimentary breakfast while taking in the amazing ocean view. Thank you for also recognizing the exceptional staff and particularly Daniel. A great review that mentions someone by name always puts a smile on their face! We really appreciate it.
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Let me start by saying that the Pantai Inn checks all the boxes for a Southern California experience. It is on the Pacific coastline…and one has to cross a small 2 lane street in order to be on the cliffs of the Pacific. It is amazing! I don't even know where to start with this little gem. OK…I'll start with the staff: First there is Cathy who assisted me in renting the rooms in order for my cousins, aunt and brothers to come out and have a family vacation. Our rooms were all beautiful…Thank you Cathy. I have to mention Fernando, Daniel and Nina as well They all helped to make our stay enjoyable. The added complimentary continental breakfast was so nice every morning and included enough options for all of us to find something to feel satisfied. The new eating are is beautiful..and the attention to detail superb. I am amazed by the woodwork, the carvings, the stonework and the tiles. Top notch. Everyone LOVED their beds and complimented the fact that the pillows were so comfortable. The rooms were decorated balinese style and I can assure you that the craftsmanship is very exceptional. I inquired from the owner after my last visit as I wanted to order a few items for my own home, only to find that some of the products were far beyond my price range…quartz countertops, etc. The outside terrace area with heaters at night were one of our favorite places. Our family would bring our wine out and sit and talk and laugh. It was so much fun. Every family should have the opportunity that we had to experience this type of fun. Also, nearby is the "Children's Pool" where the baby Seals of La Jolla sun on the beach all day. It's less than a 5 minute walk. When we needed dinner reservations, Fernando assisted us and insured that we obtained a wonderful view at an amazing restaurant overlooking LaJolla. There was a little snafu after we left with the billing, but it was ironed out quickly. It was more of a bother than a problem. Besides this, the stay (4 nights) was awesome..the rooms beautiful, the staff attentive. Additionally, and as a bonus, although slightly more expensive, the Inn offers free parking which is a plus in La Jolla. The service was great. Everything we asked for was accomplished. When one of our rooms didn't have toilet paper, the staff sent a gift up for the oversight. They were just that attentive. I read a bad review on here and I am amazed that people are so pretentious and preposterous. I would return here in a heartbeat..and recommend this hotel to anyone.! Thanks again Pantai Inn! I miss you and think of you often!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade if it's available for an ocean front...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank faithd58
Dallas K, General Manager at Pantai Inn, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Hi faithd58,
Thank you for the great review! Your enthusiasm and love of the Pantai Inn is truly inspiring and such a wonderful testament to our dedicated staff. Thank you for your praise, which I am happy to share with the team. We look forward to being the site of many more incredible retreats. Warm regards, Dallas King General Manager.
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 8 March 2014

My husband and I are so looking forward to coming back here again next year. It is a lovely, well-run inn right in La Jolla cove. You have it all right outside your door - the seals and sea lions, the park, the spectacular cliffs and beautiful blue-green churning waves, the surfers and those crazy folks who swim in 55-degree oceans. You can see all this from the big courtyard in the middle of the inn. It is on the non-stinky end of the cove. One block behind the inn is Prospect street with all the restaurants, art galleries, etc. The staff is accommodating. You get a continental breakfast and two big chocolates that come with the evening turn-down service. A gas fireplace is nice in the evening. Even if you can find a cheaper place outside of La Jolla, it is worth it to be right here where you can see dawn over the ocean and the pretty colorful sunsets.

Room Tip: We were in room 105, which is a 1-bedroom efficiency and very nice.
3 Thank Lindalee B
San Diego, California
Reviewed 26 February 2014

What an exceptional hotel. This is not your cookie cutter chain-type establishment but an INCREDIBLE destination lodge---on the cliffs of La Jolla, CA. I mean, you are right there at the ocean (not on the beach-you are on one side of the street and the ocean is on the other). You drive up and think, what is this place? But once you walk into the courtyard, and then into the lobby and finally your Balinese-styled rooms, you're transported to Bali itself. I'm not kidding--I spent a year in Bali, and this is just like it, but with better amenities. Don't be scared off by the higher room costs---you get what you pay for. Everything is new, attractive, and delightful, and the location is unbeatable. FANTASTIC if you're going to La Jolla with multiple family members and want to be together in one location. Book it if you can (they're full a LOT!)

Room Tip: Even some of the less expensive rooms have extraordinary views---ask for one of those.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank LCSD92111
Dallas K, General Manager at Pantai Inn, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear LCSD92111,

Thank you for your amazing review. I am thrilled that you had such a wonderful experience at our property. I appreciate your comments about the decor, location, and amenities. On behalf of my team, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near La Jolla
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#5 of 278 in San Diego
Empress Hotel
#3 of 24 in La Jolla

Been to Pantai Inn? Share your experiences!