“Just Beautiful”

Ranked #1 of 77 things to do in La Jolla
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: San Diego's most desirable spot for swimming, diving and snorkeling. The water is calm and the cove is ecologically protected. There is also a world famous dive site that is located in the La Jolla ecological preserve.
Kentucky
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Just Beautiful”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We visited a lot of beaches during our stay and this was by far the best secluded beach. Beautiful cliffs and water and sand mixture was like what you see in photos of island beaches. Very beautiful.

Visited July 2014

61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Seals and sea lions!”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Although the LJ locals don't like them, everyone else is tickled to snorkle with seals and sea lions. Amazing treat for wildlife lovers. Parking is an issue.

New York City, New York
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Seal/sea lion watching”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I've been to La Jolla Cove before when it was full of seals/sea lions lounging on the rocks. This time around, there weren't as many around, maybe due to season, but it was still very enjoyable to see the ones that were around frolicking on the beach or just enjoying the sun on the rocks. It's worth the trip to La Jolla alone to see this wildlife up close.

Erie, Colorado
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“perfect place to swim with the garibaldi”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I was headed to Mission Bay for a weekend with girls. I chose to stop by La Jolla cove to swim a bit since I live in CO and have been swimming in resevoirs in CO . I was there about 9:30am on a Sat. morning. The parking gods were smiling on me and someone pulled out as I was driving slowly so I scored a free 3 hour parking spot just above the seal lions who habitat the cove. I was able to easily change in to my swimsuit in the public restrooms that they have showers to wash off the seawater after frolicking in the Pacific.
It was a beautiful morning with warm water temps and a little surge. I swam about a mile. There were plenty of scuba divers, stand up paddle boarders and swimmers out while I was there. I left my valuables locked in the truck of my rental car and took a basic bag with me. I left it on the cement platform before I went down the steps to the beach. It is near the lifeguard area which is under construction right now. Perfect way to start a Sat. morning. Kelp and sea grasses danced as I left the shore and the garibaldi fish darted in and out of the kelp. My only regret was not having a Go Pro camera with me to record the under water symphony. I did not have a towel with me but managed to shower and change into a sweatshirt and shorts. Keep Swimming!

1 Thank momof2wildchilds
Gilbert
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great fun”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Our 9 year old grandson had a wonderful time exploring this area and watching the seals and birds in the cove.