“Just wonderful.”
Review of Puesto

Puesto
Reserve with OpenTable
Puesto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 1,235 Restaurants in La Jolla
Price range: US$13 - US$19
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Born in Mexico City and rooted in Southern California, Puesto is an award-winning Mexican Artisan Kitchen providing a fresh and contemporary take on authentic Mexican cuisine in an unique and upscale environment. With handmade maiz azul stone-ground tortillas made daily in house, sustainable meats and seafood, slow-cooked guisados, and scratch salsas, Puesto’s menu is a celebration of fundamental Mexican flavors and an homage to the cosmopolitan palate of Mexico City, courtesy of Executive Chef/Partner Luisteen Gonzalez and Executive Creative Chef Katy Smith. Puesto delivers a refreshing craft bar program, grounded in carefully curated agave spirits. We’re known for our Puesto Perfect Margaritas, in addition to palomas, micheladas and seasonal aguas frescas. Puesto has been featured by media outlets nationally and internationally, some of which include Huffington Post, Refinery 29, MSN, Insider, Zagat, Eater, Food and Wine, and LA Times.
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I grew up on good Mexican street food in LA. This is some of the best. Good drinks, and do not miss the bunuelo for desert!

Reviewed 27 June 2014

I'm sure this review will get lost amidst all the good reviews, but my husband and I had higher expectations for the food.

Mexican food is probably one of my favorite cuisines, and I found Puesto to fall short of my expectations. It's a cute spot with ample seating and they have a nice outdoor patio as well as large, open floor to ceiling windows. The service was fine, but the food was not. We got seated immediately on a late Sunday afternoon. We made a trip here on our way back from Torrey Pines State Reserve and on the way to the airport. My husband really wanted In-N-Out burger but I pushed for this place instead since we read great reviews. I felt bad since we both left still hungry and paid $40 for tacos that were anything but spectacular.

Upon being seated, we were brought a basket of chips and a small bowl of salsa which wasn't that spicy, but somewhat flavorful. We asked our waitress if she had anything hotter and it took her ten minutes before bringing something different. We both ordered a variety of tacos. I got the Zucchini and Cactus Veg, Rajas Veg, and Chili Relleno Veg. My husband got the Potato and Soy Chorizo and the Mahi Mahi. Neither of us were a fan and after trying a bite of each we asked for the check and decided to leave and hopefully make it to In-N-Out with the little time we had left.

Maybe it's better fare for those that eat seafood and meat? I'm not sure, but the veggie options were sub-par. Unfortunately, I will not be back to Puesto. However, the downtown area where it's located in La Jolla is very cute and I would be back to walk around and explore the other dining and shopping options there.

1  Thank Sonali K
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My husband knows his Mexican food. Loves it, searches for the best restaurant wherever we go, and is a critic by nature. He said that the filet mignon taco at Puesto was the single best taco he'd EVER had - the highest praise indeed. We arrived at about 8:30 on a Monday night with our three teens, were told by the hostess that they didn't have any tables and that because it would be a 35-45 minute wait she really couldn't help us. Weird! They had two tables within view, and after suggesting that she allow us to fit at one of them, she did set it up for us and we were "in." The waitress Lauren was terrific - obviously enjoys her work and the food they serve. We ordered guacamole (delicious), devoured several cups of salsa with their warm and delicious chips, and all got tacos of one kind or another. The baja fish was out of this world. The mahi mahi was good, but couldn't hold a candle to the baja, in my opinion. Our teens loved the carnitas, and my daughter ate her first taco (chicken verde) ever. All in all, a great meal.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We were in La Jolla for a kayak trip and were looking for some yummy Mexican food for dinner and decided to try Puesto based on the TripAdvisor reviews. This was possibly some of the best Mexican food we've ever had (and being So Cal residents we eat A LOT of Mexican food). The street tacos were innovative and the prices are excellent. We weren't really sure what to expect because the taco combinations were... interesting... but they were absolutely DELICIOUS! Try the vegetarian taco options: super yummy! Their taco sauces are a bit spicy but really made the tacos awesome! AND the frozen horchata drink is really more of a dessert. If we'd left room we would have tried the flan (oh well, next time dessert first!) The restaurant's staff was great, too!

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Happily this was a good alternative to more expensive restaurants, with still an upscale feel and fresh, good food. Has the flavor of more international tacos, with interesting and varied ingredients. 3 tacos for $11... A complete meal. We also shared the fantastic guacamole.

Wine selection is reasonable, along with full bar and beer selection.

Service was really good. Everyone was friendly and efficient.