“Good tacos, overpriced margarita”

Puesto Mexican Street Food
Reserve with OpenTable
Puesto Mexican Street Food is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 1,241 Restaurants in La Jolla
Price range: US$13 - US$19
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Puesto is a popular San Diego restaurant that successfully mixes a casual attitude with an original twist on Mexican street food and drinks. Puesto knows the true meaning of fresh with hand-made tortillas, scratch salsas, all-natural meats, sustainable seafood and local greens. This incredible combination of the freshest, highest quality ingredients all prepared in house creates the greatest TACOS you've ever tasted! Chef Luisteen serves beautiful market salads, antojitos (Mexican tapas), ceviches, moles, tostadas and other authentic Mexican favorites. Puesto serves up a refreshing craft bar program led by San Diego's champion mixologists Queen, Conner and Ward. They bring Puesto's dedication to freshness and quality to scratch Margaritas, Palomas, and seasonal Aguas Frescas served pure or as cocktails. SALUD!
Latrobe, Pennsylvania
“Good tacos, overpriced margarita”
Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

We went there for taco Tuesday night. The tacos were delicious. Margaritas were good, but very expensive and I would say they were overpriced. It was very busy as the evening went on so I would either recommend getting there early or making reservations.

1 Thank Pilotjjc3

Greater Cincinnati
“Outdoor seating and great food..”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

The food options for diverse taste in the realm of tacos was excellent. Everything was fresh and the margaritas are delicious, Bernardo our server was absolutely wonderful got our large party,

San Diego, California
“A Foodie Mexican Restaurant”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Interesting tacos on the menu. My favorites were the zucchini and cactus flower, the mahi mahi and the filet mignon. The baja is a typical fried fish taco, good but greasy if you're used to eating healthy. Definitely order the side of corn, crazy good! Delicious margaritas, taste like they're made from scratch and no mix. That's probably why they cost $11. Fun atmosphere, my son loved the swivel stools. Gets a bit noisy so not a place to have a quiet conversation. Employees were all very pleasant and knowledgeable about their menu.

Potomac, Maryland
“Fresh, simple and tasty”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

After several days of eating not too healthy food on vacation in Southern California, my family (wife + 2 kids ages 9 and 11) and I decided to eat something simple, but healthy and tasty. While in La Jolla, we wanted something Mexican, and Puesta came up. The very idea of eating street food is fun, and Puesto brought that fun home.

First, we got to Puesto about 7:30pm on a Monday evening and to our surprise, were seated immediately at a long communal table. The place has a cheerful vibe with lots of young people out on dates, as well as friends and families. Lively without being too noisy.

We ordered the guacamole and "Mexican Street Food" appetizer to start with. The guac was delicious (salsa portions could have been more generous) and the basket of chips was refilled continuously. The "Mexican Street Food" appetizer was a fabulous salad with long bars of pineapple, mango, watermelon, cucumber, and jicama artfully arranged in a stack and drizzled with some kind of mild chili/lime sauce. My wife and I loved it (but our kids were less enthusiastic). My wife and I both ordered the taco platters ($12 for 3 tacos). I had the pure veggie selections (potato-soy, zucchini-cactus, and mixed veggies) while my wife went for the fish options (mahi mahi, cod, and shrimp). Both of us were thrilled with our selections though I must say we ordered way too much food. Just the appetizers would have been enough. My daughter ordered black beans and jasmine rice which she pronounced good, while my son had cheese quesadillas off the kids menu which he thought was OK but not great.

My advice to customers is to order in phases. We ordered way too much food for us and in retrospect, should have ordered perhaps just one plate of tacos for my wife and me to share.

Price: I thought the price of the tacos and appetizers were fine. The price of the drinks are steep though and can easily add $40-50 to your bill if you are not careful.

All in all, we were pleased with our experience.

Auburn, Georgia, United States
“Excellent Tacos”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Shrimp tacos, and house made guacamole here excellent. The wait is well worth it. Some of the best shrimp & fish tacos in La Jolla.