“Local Knowledge!”
Review of La Jolla Dive

La Jolla Dive
More attraction details
Owner description: La Jolla dive is a full service scuba diving shop that provides scuba classes, scuba tours, air fills and gear rental. La Jolla dive is located just 2 blocks from the La Jolla marine reserve making us the closest dive shop to the water. La Jolla dive is a PADI facility who's instructors have 30 years of scuba diving experience in San Diego.
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I hadn't been diving in a while but heard the vis was good (and it is summer!!!) so I booked a tour with Chris to get back in the water. The location is great, gear up and it's a quick walk to the "shores", of course there is a hand-cart for the heavy stuff which makes it easier. Chris is very thorough and makes sure everything is ready and doesn't rush you.

The surface swim out is what it is, but I didn't sign up for a boat dive! The cool thing is Chris drops you right on the edge of the canyon so you don't do the "sand swim", wasting air and time. People say there isn't much to look at here but with Chris it's different, he points out all the little things that you might miss without his experience and local knowledge. We saw lots of fringeheads, gobi, sheepshead crab and sheephead fish, numerous invertabrates and even an octopus. Tons of sea life if you take your time and look! Reminds me of Anza Borrego Desert...

You really get your money (and air)'s worth with this local. The shop has nothing to buy, except for a souvenir T-shirt, just any rental gear you need. It's in a funky but ideal location, you can probably ask anybody where it is in this small commercial nook of La Jolla, no other dive shop is close by (or closer to the H2O!)

Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

Contacted Chris at La Jolla Dive to book a trip several weeks in advance, however he did not show up and the shop was unattended during business hours. I was finally able to reach him after waiting for more than one hour and apparently he had mistaken the date despite clear email confirmation. This is the first time I experienced this kind of customer service within the diving industry. Feedback received from another provider I contacted in La Jolla after this event indicate that this was not the first occurrence.

3  Thank FrankTripAdvis
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Chris and Paris were really cool, very knowledgeable, and they call you back, which is more than most dive shops I called can say. The prices are good, the experience was great, and you should definitely go to La Jolla dive and skip the other shops!

1  Thank Henry T
Reviewed 25 March 2013

I decided to go diving in San Diego and chose La Jolla dive.
Couldn't have chosen better. Everything was great, Chris is very thoughfull and I felt very safe underwater.
I totally recommend it.
Since the water was extremely cold for me (I'm brazilian, and used to much warmer waters), I was concerned about how much I would enjoy the dive. Chris decided to take us to a shallower spot so I woundn't suffer so much, and must I say, he has a wonderfull hot shower at the shop.
A lot of sea lions right next to us.
I loved it!

1  Thank Rachel G
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I had some free time on a recent trip to San Diego so I decided to try a shore dive with La Jolla Dive. To this point I had only been diving in the Caribbean so it was my first time entering the water from the shore. Chris and the dive mater trainee (I was the only other person diving that day) were very helpful with the additional gear that was required for a cool water dive. Once we got out and descended the visibility was extremely poor. My only thought was to not lose sight of the dive masters. As we swam the conditions became gradually better and the dive became an awesome experience. We saw a number of large Bat Rays feeding on the bottom along with numerous lobsters, a very large Kelp Bass and a Guitar Fish. We ended up staying down for an hour before we reached the shore. Chris explained that he was concerned when we first went down but was able to direct us to an area that would have better visibility. He was also happy that we were able to stay down for an hour.

If you have never been diving in La Jolla I would definitely recommend trying it and using La Jolla Dive. You can tell they really enjoy what they do and treated my trip the same as if it was a full booking. The fact that Chris was able to use his knowledge to turn a bad dive into a good one, shows that he knows what he is doing and cared about the experience for me.

1  Thank BCTurner