“Greatly enjoyed diving with Chris!”
Review of La Jolla Dive

La Jolla Dive
More attraction details
Owner description: La Jolla dive is a full service scuba diving shop that provides scuba classes, scuba tours, air fills and gear rental. La Jolla dive is located just 2 blocks from the La Jolla marine reserve making us the closest dive shop to the water. La Jolla dive is a PADI facility who's instructors have 30 years of scuba diving experience in San Diego.
Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

Went with this dive shop based on a friend's recco. Chris was great! Very patient with me - a novice diver! He helped set everything up, and once we were in the water, showed me some cool sights which I would've easily missed. Before the dive, Chris explained everything and was very detailed.

The walk from the beach into the water and the surface swim out are quite the workout so be prepared for that!

All in all, a great dive, great value and I look forward to diving with Chris again!

1  Thank worldexplorersid
"open water"
"these guys"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 13 July 2013

They had very good price compared to some other diving shops, I haven't dived for years and feel much more comfortable with an instructor. Chris (the instructor) has been diving for 20 years. While under water he pointed out creatures I would miss if i were diving myself. Chris took me and another diver to la jolla canyon. If you haven't been diving for a while diving it's perfect. the groups was small and it was almost like a one on one session. He answers our phone calls promptly and is a pleasant easy going guy. Thanks Chris and sorry I lost a fin.

2  Thank Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I hadn't been diving in a while but heard the vis was good (and it is summer!!!) so I booked a tour with Chris to get back in the water. The location is great, gear up and it's a quick walk to the "shores", of course there is a hand-cart for the heavy stuff which makes it easier. Chris is very thorough and makes sure everything is ready and doesn't rush you.

The surface swim out is what it is, but I didn't sign up for a boat dive! The cool thing is Chris drops you right on the edge of the canyon so you don't do the "sand swim", wasting air and time. People say there isn't much to look at here but with Chris it's different, he points out all the little things that you might miss without his experience and local knowledge. We saw lots of fringeheads, gobi, sheepshead crab and sheephead fish, numerous invertabrates and even an octopus. Tons of sea life if you take your time and look! Reminds me of Anza Borrego Desert...

You really get your money (and air)'s worth with this local. The shop has nothing to buy, except for a souvenir T-shirt, just any rental gear you need. It's in a funky but ideal location, you can probably ask anybody where it is in this small commercial nook of La Jolla, no other dive shop is close by (or closer to the H2O!)

Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

Contacted Chris at La Jolla Dive to book a trip several weeks in advance, however he did not show up and the shop was unattended during business hours. I was finally able to reach him after waiting for more than one hour and apparently he had mistaken the date despite clear email confirmation. This is the first time I experienced this kind of customer service within the diving industry. Feedback received from another provider I contacted in La Jolla after this event indicate that this was not the first occurrence.

3  Thank FrankTripAdvis