“Great resort, great staff, my 8 year old and I loved it.”

Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersGold level
Midwest
“Great resort, great staff, my 8 year old and I loved it.”
Reviewed 9 April 2011

My 8 year old and I went for spring break. It was a great get away. I would stay at this resort again for fun or business. Great for adults with or without family. The staff was always helpful. The grounds are beautiful including the pool area and on site Spa. I really felt like I got away from it all and got the most out of my vacation. Clean rooms, three restaurants on site, two of which are suitable for children. I will go back hopefully soon. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ELLDH

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 9 April 2011

We were in the San Diego area for a week and stayed at the Estancia for 3 nights. We went back and forth on where to stay (downtown SD, downtown La Jolla, the Marina, Coronado, etc) as we were going to be seeing sights all over. The location was perfect for us as a mid-point to everything (since S. Cal requires a car anyways) and it was such a "retreat" to come back to the hotel every evening. The staff, top to bottom, was incredibly friendly and helpful. The room was clean, tastefully furnished and well-appointed (we were in a King Estate room and had a balcony). We ate at two of the resaurants (breakfast at the Adobe and dinner one night at the bar at Mustangs and Burros) and were happy to not experience "hotel food". The grounds are so beautiful and it definitely has a resort feel. It's not a particularly family oriented place, but every child that I saw staying there (including our 7 year old) seems happy and was treated beautifully by the staff. We booked through familygetaways.com, so I felt like we got an amazing value for our stay (resort credit, free breakfast, welcome basket, etc.) but we were treated like we were paying for the most expensive room in the place.

I will recommend this hotel to everyone that I know going to the SD area. We are already planning to stay there the next time we visit.

Room Tip: King Estate Rooms look over courtyards or pool.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
USA
Reviewed 21 March 2011

My wife turned an "important age" recently and wanted to have a get-together with fifteen of her favorite friends at the Mustangs and Burros restaurant/bar. From the get-go, I wondered why she wanted to party there. It was difficult to find out who the F & B manager was at the hotel and when I found out, it turned out the guy hadn't been at work since February 2010!! Both she and I left several messages each about having the party there; no one ever returned our phone calls. I finally found out who was in charge and had a face-to-face meeting with her. She seemed organized and everything was set for the party. Then, I found out that the contracting manager wasn't going to be overseeing the party, which to me spelled bad news, based on other parties that switched out our contacts. On the party day, it drizzled/rained until 11:00 am and nothing after that. According to the contract, if it rained, we were to be in another building. At first, when we arrived, no one had any idea that the hotel actually moved our party. I called for the manager and then he told me that the party had been moved. I asked him: "did you think to call/email me with that information??" Sheesh!! He took us to the new location where we were to share our space with a huge group from a wedding party. My wife was livid and we demanded to be housed back at the original location, which we finally were. This was an awful experience up to the point when we were back to our desired location. The hotel comp-ed about 3/8 of the bill, which was satisfactory. Even the parking attendants were nicer and more organized than the hotel staff. We wondered why they weren't running the hotel!

We never will go back to that hotel for ANYTHING again!

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank RamblerUSA
EstanciaLaJollaHotel, Manager at Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 April 2011
We apologize for the inconvenience as our policy is to always inform guests of location changes and this should have been followed. With Mustangs & Burros' outdoor patio being exposed to inclement weather at times, it is necessary for the hotel to change the venue to another environment.

Terry Buchholz, Director of Operations
Anaheim, California
Reviewed 17 March 2011

My wife and I drove down from Orange County and were pleased to be staying in beautiful North County coastal San Diego. We were driving along by UCSD wondering where this resort could be and one right turn took us to this beautiful secluded spot. We received a VIP style greeting from the guys working the valet parking which started a great stay. The property is what I would call a mid size courtyard style set up with a very nice pool, spa and workout facility. The rooms are spacious, spotless and well furnished. Really nice to have high speed wi-fi available at no extra charge too. We didnt dine at the resort but every contact we had with staff was an experience in 5 star hospitality. I would also recommend Estancia for business gatherings as I understand that their meeting facilities are excellent as well. My wife and I just fell in love with everything about the resort, the convenient, quiet location and the incredible staff. We will probably make an excuse to return soon!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Indio, ca
Reviewed 16 March 2011

Really enjoyed the stay & will definitely return again soon only next time I wll plan to spend more relaxing & quality time at the hotel! Great place to recharge your batteries!
Pool area is terriffic, service was terriffic. Staff is very friendly & helpful but most important the beds were terriffic-had a great night's sleep. Grounds are lovely, peaceful & quiet.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
sperry0325
Reviewed 15 March 2011

I stayed here for business and really loved it! First off they let me check in early, which was hugely convenient since I had traveled a long way. My room was clean and neat, the grounds were beautiful, the gym and pool were both really nice. I actually don't have one bad thing to say about it. Yes, you do have to drive down to La Jolla village, but don't you have to drive everywhere in Cali? It's a quick ride into town, and I liked the ride, it was very scenic.
I can't wait to go back - highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
EstanciaLaJollaHotel, Manager at Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 March 2011
We are so thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We love to take special care of our business travelers to make your stay is as easy, convenient and, most importantly, as enjoyable as possible. Just because you're traveling on business doesn't mean you shouldn't also be treated to a beautiful setting and some luxurious TCL!

- Jenna Novotny, Marketing Manager
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 14 March 2011

Stayed here in March with my wife. This is our 3rd time staying here. We keep giving this hotel a chance but it is just "so-so".

PROS: The grounds (I know. "Big deal", unless you're getting married here), the food was pretty good.

CONS: Everything is VERY expensive (We had 2 "budget" meals, $60 each time), Service: The front desk could care less if you're there or not; You're in the middle of nowhere (no snacks, restaurants, sight-seeing, etc).

BOTTOM LINE: If you have a wedding to go to in the area and you're staying for a night; this is the place. If you're visiting San Diego with the family for a couple of days, stay somewhere else. You WILL be disappointed.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#5 of 279 in San Diego
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,969 reviews

Been to Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!