This hotel is on the small side as far as the pool and grounds are concerned. It definitely does not have a huge resort feel, which can be nice depending on who you're traveling with. We traveled with our kids this time to go water skiing in Mission Bay in San Diego and we all enjoyed the trip. There was never a problem finding chairs by the pool, but after a short period at the pool the kids were done. Most times when traveling with kids we stay in condos or bigger hotels with multiple pools/slides but after staying a few times in Mission Bay area when they were smaller we found most of those hotels to be pretty run down. This time we opted to stay 5 minutes outside of Mission Bay area and we were very happy with the choice.
The room and bathroom were very nice, we didn't feel cramped at all. We had a tiny balcony and chair that viewed the grassy area where they hold weddings. One negative was the weddings taking place made it awkward to walk around the grounds- we didn't want to intrude, but the grounds were so pretty we wanted to explore them the first night we were there.
We ordered food by the pool one day for lunch, and I thought the prices were reasonable and the food quantity was good. Most vacations we never order food by the pool because the prices are insane and they give you a tiny appetizer size portion.
The Mustang and Burros restaurant patio is so pretty- my husband and I went there both nights we stayed. The first night we went to use our complimentary margarita card they gave us at check-in. It turned out to be one of the negatives- which is weird. The margarita tasted like gatorade with margarita mix to top it off- couldn't taste any tequila. It was fluorescent colored so I really do think it was gatorade. The server looked a little annoyed we weren't ordering food as well so it was a bit of a negative. I'm glad we went back the next night though for happy hour. Our drinks were much better quality and the appetizer special was great as well. The prices were great and we loved the ambiance on the patio. The hostesses were very nice both times, and the service the 2nd time was great- so maybe the first server was just having a bad day.
Overall the hotel grounds are beautiful- it has a very intimate feel. I would love to come stay again- especially with just my husband, but I would bring the kids back as well. Any time I plan on going to the San Diego area, this will be my hotel of choice.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A California-coastal rancho setting on 10 acres conveniently located between the two quaint seaside villages of La Jolla and Del Mar and adjacent to world-class Torrey Pines Golf Course, Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa offers a range of upscale accommodations from charming rancho style deluxe rooms to expansive suites with world-class facilities and exceptional service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Estancia La Jolla Hotel And Spa
- Estancia La Jolla Hotel La Jolla