“Elegant Property, Poorly Managed with a Full House” 1 of 5 bubbles

Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersGold level
Audubon, Pennsylvania, United States
“Elegant Property, Poorly Managed with a Full House”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

I travel to La Jolla about once a month and typically stay at L'Auberge Del Mar. With the races opening this week, a friend suggested we try La Estancia instead. I was immediately impressed by the property and the courteous staff. I was here for business and my daughters were traveling with me.

The hotel was completely full during our stay and was not staffed to properly manage the chaos. Food service was incredibly slow (waited two hours for a bag of trail mix and some chips) and an obnoxiously loud party was conducted in the hallways and balconies surrounding my room on the night prior to our 4:00 am departure. I had to call security three times before someone from the hotel staff finally got it under control. The front desk receptionist said, "well you chose a bad week - this is ComicCon". Unacceptable excuse from my point of view, especially as the party was connected to an onsite wedding. This is not the kind of property where you expect to have a confrontation with an obnoxious drunk guest in a hallway.

During my stay, I had numerous interactions with hotel staff who were incredibly sincere and polite but overwhelmed and unable to help (bartender, front desk).

I left two messages for the GM, Terry Buchholz, and was assured he would contact me. He did not.

As I mentioned the property was lovely. In addition, the restaurants provided fantastic food.

I would definitely NOT recommend you stay at this property when it is anywhere near full, but I could imagine it being a very nice getaway at some other time.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Matt B
EstanciaHotelManager, Manager at Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 26 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your recent stay. While our GM did not receive a voicemail or email from you, perhaps you mean you left a message with the Front Desk? Assuming that is the case, I hope you received the voicemail from the Director of Front Office Operations earlier this week. He would like to learn more about your experience, and hopes to hear back from you soon. You are absolutely right in that this is not the kind of property where you expect disturbances like those that you experienced. We are terribly sorry and can assure you that your experience is not indicative of our service culture. Hope to speak with you soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

We stayed at the Estancia La Jolla for two nights in July as the hotel we had booked in San Diego wasn't available all five nights. After our two night stay, we wished we had booked the entire trip here. The location is convenient to Torrey Pines State Park and La Jolla Village and a short drive into San Diego. The property gives you a secluded feeling; very quiet and peaceful. There is a nice pool and workout area. Everyone from the valet and bellmen to the front desk to the restaurant and hospitality staff were very welcoming. We are already looking forward to our next visit!

Room Tip: We had a room on the inner courtyard. We were able to listen to the relaxing sound of the fountain...
Los Angeles, California, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

I stayed here with my husband for one night, on a business trip. The property is very pretty and the valet parking staff is very attentive. The charge for the valet is $25 per the stay, I am not sure if this is daily or during your entire stay at the hotel. We were greeted by a friendly staff who offered us a glass of champagne which was a nice touch. The hotel rooms are separated by buildings, that are some what all connected together. This is what made things a bit confusing. We were first lost in the maze of the hotel grounds, but to get into each building to get to your room you had to use your room key to open the door of each building. We finally got to our room and the space was very spacious and comfortable. If I can recall I think the bath tubs in this hotel were really shallow, almost knee deep, which made me kinda laugh. It is a pretty nice hotel and I am not sure why they didn't invest in nicer tubs. The bathroom amenities were nice and smelled good though. We went to the pool which was big, and there were plenty of spaces to lounge at. The beer and wine menu was half off during happy hour, so I definitely recommend lounging by the pool then! The water was warm, and enjoyable. The hot tub was very crowded, but once people got out I stepped in, and it was very warm and comfortable with the jets blasting. Overall it was an average experience, nothing really special about this place for me. As mentioned earlier about getting into each building with the room key, when we left the hotel we forgot about this and left our room keys in our room. We couldn't get out of the place to our car since we had to have our keys to get to the next building! So we ended up hiking up and down stairs to find a way to get out with out going through the building. Over all a good experience. I just expected a bit more for the price.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
EstanciaHotelManager, Manager at Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
Thank you for the thorough review. I’m glad overall you enjoyed your stay and had a chance to experience our Pool Bar Happy Hour. We thank you for the compliments on our landscape and design. I’m sorry for the inconvenience with regard to carrying your key with you. I know it can be a bit bothersome when you have your hands full. This procedure is simply something we do to ensure the safety and security of our guests as we cover so many acres and have multiple public entrances. Thank you again for staying with us and for taking the time to provide feedback.
Central Arizona, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

We stayed at The Estancia for three nights, and truly loved the beautiful hotel. I was impressed with all the succulents and the Spanish / Old California feel. After a nice dinner we enjoyed sitting and reading our book in one of several courtyards with a relaxing fountain nearby.
The hotel isn't located in a shopping area that you can walk to; the Salk Institute is just across the street, along with multiple offices and UC. In fact, many of the fellow guests were there for conferences, but it's only a 10 or 15 minute drive to downtown La Jolla and Old Town San Diego. Del Mar is even closer.
The staff is very friendly and can't do enough for you. The only downside is the hotel tax and fees, along with the valet parking, which total about $45 per day. But that's just California!

Room Tip: The first floor rooms that exit directly to the courtyard allow you the opportunity to appreciate th...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shery G
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

We recently stayed at The Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa. It truly was a six-star experience!! It is a beautiful resort, the service was excellent, the grounds gorgeous, the rooms, dining experiences, spa, fireplaces, valet, concierge, etc. were all top-notch!! Everything was impressive! and exceeded my expectations (and believe me, I am picky). I couldn't have picked a greater place to stay, in fact, I would say it was the nicest hotel experience I have ever had!
Every wish and request we had was granted, by an excellent staff!! In particular, I wanted to mention Felipe (at Mustangs and Burros), Tara (at the Adobe), John (at the front desk), and of course the GM, Terry (who went out of his way to make our stay an incredible experience). cannot say enough good things about the Estancia, loved every second of it!
I would heartily recommend the Estancia as the place to go in California!!

1 Thank gary s
6 stars! This is a first! We could not be more thrilled, in fact our GM Terry, who you mentioned in your review shared this with the entire staff. Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review and recognize a few all-stars from our team. We hope to see you again soon!
San Luis Obispo, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

We love this hotel. Personnel were very kinf from the cleanning staff to the managers. I will say the only cons is the valet parking which is a little bit of a pain but the guys where very nice. For those looking for a beach hotel this is not walking distance to the beach but other that that I will recommend it.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay. We appreciate your feedback. Hope to welcome you back soon!
Flagstaff, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

Lovely Old California look and feel. The hotel is large enough to be comfortable, but broken up into charming garden areas, outdoor fireplace patios, spa, pool and restaurants that give it a real private club feel. Its a resort to make "your place " and come back to often. I booked a spa treatment and stayed to relax in the private spa patios. Excellent. - on par with any 5 star spa . The rooms are modern and steamlined , and have the all necessary comfy white robes (love em) and iron ( dont make me call) and spacious, newly renovated bathrooms. The staff seem to all be young , good looking and ready to accomodate you in any way to make your stay perfect. I will be back.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
EstanciaHotelManager, Manager at Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Thank you so much for the fantastic feedback. We are so glad that you enjoyed the spa and your guest room. I would have to agree with you on the new robes- they’re pretty amazing! We are happy to hear that you will be back, and we look forward to your next visit!