“My La Jolla San Diego Business Trip that felt like a vacation at a luxurious spa hotel”

Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 31 July 2013

If you are a picky traveler like me, you are reading a lot of Trip Adviser reviews and may be debating about where to stay in La Jolla or in San Diego in general. I was here on business for 3 days so where I stayed was important. Also was doing business in La Jolla so this hotel was convenient and also to top rated. I debated between this place and The Lodge at Torrey Pines (which from the pictures looked dark and depressing) or Grand Colonial La Jolla (which is near shops and beach). I was overjoyed with my choice of Estancia and my 3 day business trip felt more like a 3 day vacation in an exotic, relaxing spa resort. let me note I did not have a car so I was content hanging at the hotel when not in meetings.
Estancia scored high on all essential elements of a my hotel experience. Property was beautiful – and not too big or commercial like many high end resort chains are. You really felt special here because there are only 200 or so room, buildings are only 3 or 4 floors high. The landscaping flowers and gardens are magnificent and it is peaceful and serene to just walk between the buildings. I saw lilies and orchids I never see in backyard gardens. Felt like i was on an exotic island somewhere.

While there are only two restaurants on the property, both were tasty and convenient – breakfast was very good and you have the option of a lovely buffet or a la carte off the menu – buffet is only $20 and a large variety of offerings. I ate Dinner at the outdoor patio area of Mustangs and Burros restaurant (others chose to eat indoors) and it was ok – nothing to write home about but ambiance was nice. if I had a car, this would be a great place to have drinks before going out to a tastier place.
Pool is very nice – I like to swim laps so I appreciated the size of the pool and the fact that it is slightly heated to 80 degrees so I could swim in the morning when it was most peaceful. It is a salt water pool which is unusual but also nice – the Spa said it was therapeutic and good for the skin. Lots of lounge chairs and nice private cabanas plus a waitress that goes around taking people’s drinks and food orders. Family friendly but also great if you are there alone or with a partner. A few steps aware was a good workout room with all the up to date equipment

My room was lovely and the private balcony is a nice touch. I got a 2nd floor quiet room looking over the courtyard and i was very happy.

let me address some of the negative comments from other reviewers:
Rooms and sound – I didn’t have any issues and I am a light sleeper. Room was very quiet
Room key to get in buildings – no big deal. yes sometimes inconvenient but very easy to use – just make sure you have your key with you at all times
Room Linens - all very nice but yes i agree with the person re softness of sheets - maybe because they are cotton but i did find them itchy. with so much money spent on the hotel, splurge and buy some new softer sheets.
Re someone’s comments about splinters on wood – not sure what they are talking about – everything was new and I didn’t see any anywhere
Re cleanliness of room– impeccably clean and new. No complaints
Staff – all were great, especially the front desk team. There was no problem with slow service.
Overall an excellent choice if you are on business or pleasure in San Diego and La Jolla area. and if on business - you will feel like in between meetings you are also on vacation.

Room Tip: i took everyone's advice and got a 2 or 3rd floor looking over a courtyard. Don't get room l...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Lesdeak
EstanciaHotelManager, Manager at Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

We cannot thank you enough for such a thorough review. We are so happy that you found our hotel to be the perfect fit for your business trip. From laps in the pool to Adobe El Restaurante’s breakfast buffet, it sounds like to you took full advantage of our amenities and offerings! Thank you again for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. Hopefully business will bring you back to La Jolla soon!

Reviewed 31 July 2013

this is a lovely property and the people who work there are very nice and accommodating. There is really lovely restaurant with a large outdoor eating area and large fire place this was wonderful it served Mexican gourmet food and great drinks. We felt like we were at a hacienda in Mexico the landscaping was amazing!! it seems to have an international crowd and a lot of PhD types from USD which was across the street but you would never know it. It is about three miles to La Jolla which we found insanely crowded and about 15 minutes from Torrey Pines which is where we choose to spend most of our time hiking and swimming. The beach there was amazing you could see you feet when at knee level in the ocean. Also there is a para glider port right next store which is another must see. This is a family friendly place but it is slower moving and relaxed. The spa is also amazing there!! Great place!

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view of the gardens
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Thank you so much for your review. We’re glad that you found our location convenient for all of your La Jolla activities and we are happy to hear that you enjoyed Mustangs & Burros. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

I really enjoyed this hotel for the most part.

The rooms are spacious and very nice. I felt the bed was comfy. Shower was great. Everything would expect from a quality hotel.

The grounds are also very nice. Well kept. The pool was great. The jacuzzi was nice and hot.

Overall, the service was excellent. I cannot really say anything bad about that.

My only bad comments towards the property is as follows:
I found it very annoying you had to use your key card to get in every single building. I just do not understand why? It felt like FBI headquarters at times or something. I can understand needing to it get in the hotel or what not, but having to use it in every single building is not warranted. Also some doors didnt work at all.
I also found it easy to get lost there. Not sure why, but the lay out is a bit confusing at times.
Lastly, $25 to park and a $18 resort fee seem a bit too expensive. I dont mind paying for valet parking. But $25 is quite a lot in my mind. And I also dont feel that I got my moneys worth for that nonnegotiable resort fee. I know thats the way it is at higher end places but it just seemed like a lot.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel and stay here again. It was nice, quiet, great location, very hospitable, and comfortable. It is certainly a worthwhile option in the area.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the courtyard. Otherwise you have a view of a wall.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We stayed at the Estancia in late July after going back and forth on whether to stay in Coronado or La Jolla. The great deal offered through the website with a Costco membership is what convinced us.

We ended up loving the location. With the amazing weather (cool mornings around 68-70 degrees, partly sunny), we loved jogging/walking the local roads and trails to the cliffs and beach each morning. It was a fantastic way to start the day. Torrey Pines Reserve was very close as was Blacks Beach (within 0.25-0.5 miles). A drive to Coronado for the amazing beaches only ended up taking 20 minutes and was well worth it, too.

The rooms were very clean and had everything we needed. Breakfast was included every morning with the Costco rate. This was appreciated with the resort fees and valet fee. Valet was always very quick, asked if we needed directions, waters, etc.

Overall, the feel of this resort was intimate and special. We plan on staying again next summer. The only thing we regret is not planning enough time before dinner to check out the wine bar.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank LyndseyAZ
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Purchased the room with the costco discount which included $30 breakfast credit per night (well worth it!)
I Came with my husband and 1 yr old child.

Pro:
1. Beautiful grounds- nicely maintained, beautiful buildings
2. Great breakfast-we ended up spending only $7 on top of the $30 credit and the food is brought to your room
3. staff was extremely friendly and helpful
4. Good location- away from lots of traffic and the city. Doesn't feel like you're in a hotel
5. Nice little workout facility

Cons:
1. Thin walls- early one morning, we were awakened by the couple next door arguing
2. Splinters- The entryway of the room has a worn wooden strip that had lots of wooden splinters on the ground ( great for my toddler walking around barefoot!)
3. Unclean floors- the first night we were there, we found an old contact lense and band aide wrapper on the carpet (also great for my 1yr old son to pick up and play with)

Overall, nice place for the cost, just wish some of the smaller details were tended to...like vacuuming!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Kelly C
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We spent our anniversary weekend here. The grounds are beautiful. The staff was exceptional. They went above and beyond by providing a "Nordstrom" atmosphere. We received complimentary champagne upon our arrival. There were a few mishaps that were easily fixed.
The resort is located by Glider's Point and across from UCSD. We took a cab ride to Del Mar and bar hopped at some of the beach restaurants.
We rented Cabana number 6 by the pool. It was an enjoyable, relaxing stay.
I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I would get an outside room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mchatt92
EstanciaHotelManager, Manager at Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2013

What a great review! Thank you for taking the time to share the details about your recent stay. It sounds like you had a lot of fun, and we’re so glad you stayed with us and enjoyed our location, service and amenities. Thank you for recommending our hotel. We hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

Stayed from 10th-13th July. Rooms are really nice, spacious and clean.The pool area is nice but the bar and grill were closed early on a few days because they said it was to quiet, what about the 10-12 people still around the pool, there was 4 of us and we went to get food when we arrived by the pool at 4pm to be told it was closed.We had to order down from the main kitchen.We had a meal in the Mustang restaurant.It was so dark we had to go outside to read the menu,we asked for more light and were brought a lamp which did not help.Overall the meal was dissapointing and we did not eat there again.We took the buffet breakfast which was fine , our friends took theirs off the menu and had a 20min wait.Beautiful hotel no mistake but service was poor.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank irishtraveller50

Thank you for the comments about our guest rooms- we’re glad you found them to be quite nice, spacious and clean. I’m sorry that we missed you and your friends at the Pool Bar & Grill, it typically closes at around 4:00 or 5:00 depending on business demands, but hopefully you were able to order through in-room dining. I will also be sure to pass along your comments about the lighting and breakfast delay to our Food & Beverage Team. Thank you again for your feedback which helps our team learn and become better.