If you are a picky traveler like me, you are reading a lot of Trip Adviser reviews and may be debating about where to stay in La Jolla or in San Diego in general. I was here on business for 3 days so where I stayed was important. Also was doing business in La Jolla so this hotel was convenient and also to top rated. I debated between this place and The Lodge at Torrey Pines (which from the pictures looked dark and depressing) or Grand Colonial La Jolla (which is near shops and beach). I was overjoyed with my choice of Estancia and my 3 day business trip felt more like a 3 day vacation in an exotic, relaxing spa resort. let me note I did not have a car so I was content hanging at the hotel when not in meetings.
Estancia scored high on all essential elements of a my hotel experience. Property was beautiful – and not too big or commercial like many high end resort chains are. You really felt special here because there are only 200 or so room, buildings are only 3 or 4 floors high. The landscaping flowers and gardens are magnificent and it is peaceful and serene to just walk between the buildings. I saw lilies and orchids I never see in backyard gardens. Felt like i was on an exotic island somewhere.
While there are only two restaurants on the property, both were tasty and convenient – breakfast was very good and you have the option of a lovely buffet or a la carte off the menu – buffet is only $20 and a large variety of offerings. I ate Dinner at the outdoor patio area of Mustangs and Burros restaurant (others chose to eat indoors) and it was ok – nothing to write home about but ambiance was nice. if I had a car, this would be a great place to have drinks before going out to a tastier place.
Pool is very nice – I like to swim laps so I appreciated the size of the pool and the fact that it is slightly heated to 80 degrees so I could swim in the morning when it was most peaceful. It is a salt water pool which is unusual but also nice – the Spa said it was therapeutic and good for the skin. Lots of lounge chairs and nice private cabanas plus a waitress that goes around taking people’s drinks and food orders. Family friendly but also great if you are there alone or with a partner. A few steps aware was a good workout room with all the up to date equipment
My room was lovely and the private balcony is a nice touch. I got a 2nd floor quiet room looking over the courtyard and i was very happy.
let me address some of the negative comments from other reviewers:
Rooms and sound – I didn’t have any issues and I am a light sleeper. Room was very quiet
Room key to get in buildings – no big deal. yes sometimes inconvenient but very easy to use – just make sure you have your key with you at all times
Room Linens - all very nice but yes i agree with the person re softness of sheets - maybe because they are cotton but i did find them itchy. with so much money spent on the hotel, splurge and buy some new softer sheets.
Re someone’s comments about splinters on wood – not sure what they are talking about – everything was new and I didn’t see any anywhere
Re cleanliness of room– impeccably clean and new. No complaints
Staff – all were great, especially the front desk team. There was no problem with slow service.
Overall an excellent choice if you are on business or pleasure in San Diego and La Jolla area. and if on business - you will feel like in between meetings you are also on vacation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A California-coastal rancho setting on 10 acres conveniently located between the two quaint seaside villages of La Jolla and Del Mar and adjacent to world-class Torrey Pines Golf Course, Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa offers a range of upscale accommodations from charming rancho style deluxe rooms to expansive suites with world-class facilities and exceptional service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Estancia La Jolla Hotel La Jolla
- Estancia La Jolla Hotel And Spa