Just completed my second stay at this resort. The place is beautiful and elegant, but still relaxed; the climate is perfect, the location is great - close enough to La Jolla Village and Del Mar, but removed enough to feel away from throngs of tourists and bad traffic. The rooms are nicely appointed and comfortable, with quality amenities like bottled Voss Water and spa- quality bath products. There is a small work-out room, steam, outdoor hot tub and pool [jammed with loud, obnoxious kids and over-indulgent parents during this holiday-week visit - oh and we did see some towels left to dry over balconies - not the hotel's fault, just guests who thought they were at a beach motel instead of a quality resort]; and a fancy spa which I didn't use because the prices were just way too high. The dining rooms serve very good food and there is a great selection of wines available by glass or bottle along with full bar in the restaurant. There are also many comfie 'corners' around the property to sit and read a book, enjoy a gas fire place (there are several) and just relax. It's a beautiful place.
Unfortunately the staff was just a bit 'off' - while this place tries to present itself [especially through its ownership as a Meritage Collection property] as 5 star, the staff just isn't quite up to it. There were too many little slip-ups - very slow service at breakfast, some major 'clusters' with the valet [mandatory valet parking at this place, and it takes patience], a maid opening our door despite the do not disturb sign being out, a long wait [when we were trying to leave for an outing] to get maintenance people up to fix the in-room safe that wasn't working [I really wanted to protect some jewelry before heading out], and just other such slightly off performance. And it took a ridiculously long time to check out when we finally left.
Oh, and our final morning there, after having a hard work out, we went back to the room to find there was no hot water - a boiler issue. They did refund the daily resort fee and parking fee as compensation, which we appreciated.
One notable stand-out on the staff was a waiter named Felipe who served us dinner in the Mustangs and Burros on-premise restaurant. He was REALLY good - cared deeply about the wines, was very knowledgeable about them, provided excellent service with a great attitude. We envisioned he aspires to a career in the industry as his passion for it shows. To many others on the grounds, it felt like just a job. In fairness, I think everyone was well-intentioned about providing us with a good stay. I think it's more of a training and polish issue. With a bit more care and discipline from Management, the team could be up-leveled to the that of a great resort.
I would have preferred to rate this hotel 3.5 here on Trip Advisor, but that option wasn't available so I opted to round up rather than down. All in all, I recommend this hotel and would stay again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A California-coastal rancho setting on 10 acres conveniently located between the two quaint seaside villages of La Jolla and Del Mar and adjacent to world-class Torrey Pines Golf Course, Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa offers a range of upscale accommodations from charming rancho style deluxe rooms to expansive suites with world-class facilities and exceptional service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Estancia La Jolla Hotel La Jolla
- Estancia La Jolla Hotel And Spa