“Indulgent Spa Resort”

GreenLeadersGold level
Sacramento, California
“Indulgent Spa Resort”
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 2 nights with my boyfriend recently. We stayed in a standard room. Heavenly grounds (a walk around upon arrival is a must) and pristine rooms. The bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in! The staff is very friendly and helpful. While we were staying we gathered that the majority of the resort was occupied by people on business for an on site conference, so I think the staff was especially happy to give suggestions for activities and such since most guests weren't leaving the compounds. Glider's point is within walking distance and is a beautiful site. Downtown La Jolla is beautiful and about a 10 minute drive from Estancia. Great beaches abound.
The spa left a bit to be desired personally, but I admit I have very high standards. It was good, clean, and well decorated, but I would have liked a more options in the locker room for ways to relax (a guided warm up before services).
The restaurants on the grounds are good, albiet pricey. But you can get your drinks in a to go cup to take to the hot tub/pool for an after dinner dip!
The resort was lovely! If you have the money, go for it but skip the spa.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anna R
GuestRelations M, Manager at Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Thank you very much for your review. You have mentioned some great destination highlights that many of our guests will find beneficial! We appreciate your thoughts on your experience at The Spa and will discuss with the Director of Spa. We would like to ensure that all of our guests have a relaxing, comfortable and blissful stay at the spa. Thank you again for your time and we hope to welcome you back in the near future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
Sherman Oaks
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Estancia is an anomaly. The grounds are beautifully decorated in what one would imagine as the classic San Diego motif.
This was our second time visiting the hotel, with the first visit being good but not great. The first time around we had one of the worst restaurant experiences for dinner at Mustangs and Burros. Everyone at the restaurant was complaining that they had not gotten their food for over an hour.
The manager came to our table and offered us free wine but at that time we were so over the place we refused and left.
We decided to give this place another shot, but clearly we will not be staying here again.

We did not have hot water for 2 days. I called maintenance twice and even after they came and looked at it, it was still not hot but more luke warm.
The first night the grounds were all muddy and wet and it reeked of sewage. It was so bad that we couldn't keep the window open!!
The room itself is very very small for the price you are paying. My husband and I are frequent travelers and have stayed at numerous hotels. We definitely know what is worth it and what's not. This room was definitely not worth it.
We ordered waters one night from room service and it took them over an hour to deliver it. We actually fell asleep and were woken up by room service to hand us two $14 bottles of water!
Valet service was great. Didn't try the spa so I can't comment on that. The jacuzzi area was nice, although the jacuzzi is highly chlorinated and very murky.
This time around the restaurant had better service than before.
All in all very mediocre service and amenities with really nice grounds. If they put as much emphasis on their service and amenities as they do on their grounds, this would truly be a 5 star resort.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank KBNME
GuestRelations M, Guest Relations Manager at Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. Your experience is certainly not indicative of our service standards. We apologize for the challenges you experienced with service and our amenities. We hope that you received the Direct Message via TripAdvisor so that we can further discuss your concerns. We appreciate your time and look forward to hearing from you.
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

We had a discount so we did not pay full price but we are picky people and we had a great two night stay in this hotel in La Jolla. The breakfast is the best we have ever seen In all our travels including many cruises. The rooms were well insulated against noise and very spacious. Loved this hotel!

• Stayed January 2014
EstanciaHotelManager, Manager at Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Thank you so much for the great review! We are so pleased to hear that you had such a wonderful stay. We are also thrilled to hear that you loved breakfast, we will be sure to share this with the Food & Beverage team. We hope to welcome you back soon.
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Quite, upscale, beautiful grounds,exercise facility, pool, casual restaurant and bar. All very low key. A good place to just get away, not at the high end of hotels. About 3 miles to La Jolla business area.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 4ukid
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 5 January 2014

How does one solve the dilemma of an absolutely beautiful facility with all the right amenities (well-appointed rooms, beautiful gardens with views from the rooms, small but well-stocked exercise facility, wonderful pool, nice-looking restaurants with places to sit inside-and-out), but brought down by staff that hasn't taken the most basic customer service course offered by a three-star motel and parts of the facility that just don't work (e.g., no hot water one morning, broken heater for the outdoor seating portion of the restaurant, etc.)?

That is why I gave the facility only 3 stars -- I probably would give it 3+ stars, but there is no way for me to do that. Clearly, this Hotel & Spa bills itself as a 4-to-5 star resort, and clearly it was designed as such. But with this aspiration comes that necessary tasks of meticulous staff training (and periodic re-training) as well as a rigorous preventive maintenance program for the facility with an onsite engineer for when things don't work properly. These are what were missing from the Estancia resort.

Examples of the service issues:

a) The most incredibly slow and inattentive service imaginable every time we ate at one of the restaurants (3 times at 2 of the restaurants). We even had to wait ten minutes twice for a server to appear to bring us a coffee refill. At a restaurant with fairly high prices, one expects a lot better.

b) When complaining on the phone that there was no hot water, the response was they knew about the problem, and run water for 5 minutes and that should make it better. We ran the water for 10 minutes without results. When we later complained upon checkout that we weren't able to shower that morning, the response was that he's sure it will be better next time we come there, which he hoped would be soon. Sad to say, these are not the kinds of answers I would expect at a high-quality resort.

c) We discovered that some restaurant credits that were not credited properly on our bill, the clerk said that we were mistaken. I am sure that we were not, and said that I would be contacting the manager. The clerk managed to find a way to make a mistake an even worse experience (note: as you'll see in the next paragraph, through a subsequent call to a manager, he immediately saw the mistake and credited our account).

A few days after our visit, I contacted the resort and requested a manager. I spoke with Aaron, who is the first person I encountered there that spoke in the way a would expect someone at a 4 or 5-star resort to speak with a guest. He (without prompting) apologized profusely, said that the staff should not have said what they did, would make sure that staff are sensitized more effectively, and offered me a credit. It's just too bad that I had to speak with the manager to make all that happen.

Last, a caution as to the hidden fees at the resort. Valet parking is required -- so if one wants to take the car out a few times a day, expect to have some singles for tipping the valet, and to have to wait for your car (it's pretty fast if no one else is waiting, but there are busy times). Oh, and they charge $25 per day for parking (frankly, they should have a big sign that says no tipping, and make sure the valets are paid enough out of the $25 fee). The resort used to have self-parking, but there were problems with that too.

Besides the $25 daily parking fee, there is a $17 daily resort fee, which covers such amenities as the Internet, exercise facility, pool, self-service morning coffee at the restaurant, etc. -- items that many places include in their fees, expect when they want the fee to seem less than it is.

Because we used a Travelzoo coupon, we received a half-price room with a few other bonus (free parking being the primary one); so we paid only $149 plus the resort fee and state taxes. I felt that the price was very good for what we received, and if I were basing this review on on place with these rates, I would likely have awarded it 4 stars. On the other hand, if I were basing the review on a 5-star resort, I would have awarded it 2 stars.

Oh yes, if you will be in your room in the daytime, it may pay to upgrade to a deluxe room, which will give you a small deck (instead of a French balcony and guarantee a view of the gardens). You still can get those rooms without the upgrade if they are available, but you won't know until you get there. The cost is another $25 per day. As you can see, there are lots of ways to add to the base price, so beware!

And if you want a relatively quiet room, be sure to get one on the third (top) floor (otherwise, you likely will hear children running above you -- it is a very kid friendly resort). Note the one enters the facility on the third floor -- the lower two levels are beneath -- the first one opens up to the garden and pool, which are off to the sides and the back.

My best hope for this resort is that they fix their glitches and take advantage of the wonderful facility that they have and support it with appropriate service and maintenance. If they can do this, it could be a great place to stay when in La Jolla.

Room Tip: Top floor is a must. To guarantee a good view and the top floor, you may need to upgrade to a deluxe...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Peter K
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 5 January 2014

My wife and I booked 3 nights. Stayed only two. Left to find a better place. No hot water for two days. Internet not working for two days. Room service average. Valet great service. Bellhop, great service. Restaurant was fantastic (not the one for breakfast). Front desk doesn't quit get how to provide exceptional service. They need more training. Front desk did acknowledged the problems on first day - gave a $40 credit. Second day was excuses, front desk said "no one else complained about the water" -- insinuating that perhaps I was lying? I was told the manager would call me back -- never received a call. I wish they would have handled our disappointing experience with professionalism, and with a goal to have me return. I want to return, but just can't justify the cost for the value received. A 3-star experience. You are paying for La Jolla - not a 4-star experience. There are many La Jolla and San Diego hotels around $200+.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MavTraveler
Thank you for your feedback and your compliments for our valet team. We have shared your comments with the Operations team who will follow up with their departments and revisit policies and procedures as needed. We apologize for your recent experience which is not indicative of our service standards. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience so that we may learn and become better. I’m sorry no one returned your call, however our Director of Front Office Operations would appreciate a conversation to learn more about your experience, please feel free to call 858.550.1000 and ask for Aaron Anavim.
boston, ma
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We just got back from a great stay at Estancia La Jolla. The property is lovely, the rooms well appointed and ok in size. Our biggest issue with the room was that the air conditioning/heating system did not seem to work very well so we were either boiling or freezing. The amenities were good, nice heated pool, jacuzzi, etc. I did not take advantage of the spa services or the food as the restaurants were not highly rated and seemed very overpriced and there are so many good restaurants in La Jolla. The biggest disadvantage for us was the forced valet parking. There were several times when we were just running in and out of the hotel and it would have been nice to just be able to park quickly.

Overall a solid four stars and I would definitely recommend

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
EstanciaHotelManager, Manager at Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Thank you for recommending our hotel to others and for taking the time to post a review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the guest room amenities such as the pool and whirlpool. I apologize about the air-conditioning system, next time please do not hesitate to call the operator and have engineering pop in to set the thermostat to a comfortable temperature for you. We hope to welcome you back soon.