“Amazing Anniversary Stay”

GreenLeadersGold level
Temecula, California
“Amazing Anniversary Stay”
Reviewed 31 January 2014

This hotel is so beautiful and so peaceful! The staff are world class professionals in warm hospitality, support and care of their guests. And the cuisine in ALL their restaurants is amazingly creative and fresh! We had a WONDERFUL stay.

Room Tip: Veranda rooms have a great view. All the rooms are sunny and quiet.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JanetinTemecula
GuestRelations M, Manager at Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 February 2014
Dear JanetinTemecula- Thank you very much for choosing Estancia La Jolla for your anniversary stay! We appreciate your lovely compliments about our staff and restaurants. We are so pleased you enjoyed your time with us and hope to welcome you back for many more anniversaries!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
San Diego
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I am a San Diego local who has been to this spa twice, once a couple of years ago (massage was NOT good at all), and unfortunately, again for my birthday a few days ago when the massage was actually good, but the rest of the $600+ experience was terrible. They need to confirm their address with locals. There are similar sounding hotels, such as Rancho La Valencia, the La Valencia Hotel (in the village of La Jolla) and the Estancia in San Diego. It doesn't hurt to understand we are human, so please don't say to my husband "yes, we're by the village in La Jolla",when you are across from UCSD.

They are not flexible with appointments at all. My husband booked these appointments for me, for my birthday, and one of the appointments, wasn't something that would work for me. Doesn't matter, we were committed to that time slot, period. We couldn't even put the money on a gift certificate, we had to see that therapist at that time. Period. Please keep in mind, this is January, they weren't busy, there were only a couple of people by the pool. We were there at 9:30 AM and the appointment in question was for 1:30 PM. Plenty of time to call said therapist and work something out. I believe they don't care to work with a customer in any regard, despite the fact, that a customer may be spending upwards of $600.00+ at their spa.

A couple of other things to consider: the hot tub, both in the spa and by the pool, is luke warm…was 2 years ago and still is. I saw a yelp review where someone said the same thing. The management responded to the review stating they were having mechanical problems and maintenance would be fixing it. Apparently, that is a lie! Also, the spa itself is small. I need more that one or two little stools for my bag, clothing, etc. There isn't enough space for ladies to get ready when there are three, or even two for that matter, ladies in the spa.

The icing on the cake with this joke of a day spa, is if you actually want lunch and some wine by the pool in between treatments, you will be waiting…..and waiting….and waiting…..in a luke warm hot tub. My husband wanted french fries with his burger but was told he couldn't have them by the pool because of the birds. The gentlemen who finally brought out our food, was kind enough to go get some fries for my husband but they were a soggy mess. He had to go back anyway because he forgot the wine opener. It took him a full 15 minutes to come back. We still appreciated his effort with the french fries. When I ordered a drink by the pool, while my husband was having a massage (he had to take my 1:30 appointment) it never came until he was out of the massage! I kept calling to check on it and the guy rudely tells me it takes 30 minutes and it all comes from the "same place" (meaning it doesn't matter if it's a drink or food, it takes the same amount of time. Does this make sense?). When I complained to the spa front desk, they told me "how busy the hotel is on the other side" and that's why the order is taking so long. I don't blame them, they had to come up with some excuse, since the pool area was empty!

There was also no "happy birthday" or product samples because I purchased facial serum, or anything redeeming about this place. I will never go back. If you would like a spa day, please consider The Grand Del Mar or Rancho Valencia, both of which I have been to, and enjoyed the experience so much more. After all, who wants to spend a fortune on a spa day, and leave more frustrated and anxious than the beginning of the day!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Summerblue
GuestRelations M, Manager at Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Thank you for reaching out with regards to your experience. We received your message on Yelp as well. Your experience is certainly not something we'd like to go unaddressed. We are very concerned and would like to discuss directly. Please check your direct message as we have sent you a message. Our Spa Director would like to personally talk to you. We apologize for the challenges you experienced and he is eagerly awaiting your response.
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

If you are looking for a relaxing property with outstanding restaurants, spa and tranquility, this is the place! Adjacent to La Jolla and the Torrey Pines Golf Course, the location of Estancia is perfect. The Spanish Med style property has all the elegant touches needed for a truly enjoyable stay. The grapefruit toiletries and sumptuous robes are a special touch! I have previously stayed in the San Diego area many times but Estancia will now be my number one choice. Extremely good value!

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Thank you very much for your review. We absolutely love that you not only highlighted our main hotel features including restaurants, spa and locale- but also the small details that we pride ourselves on! We are happy you appreciated our hacienda atmosphere and the Antica Farmacista (Grapefruit scented) in-room amenities. Thank you again for your wonderful 5-star review and we hope to welcome you back soon.
LexGSR
Reviewed 22 January 2014

First, the place is really beautiful on the outside. The rooms - average. If we'd paid full price, we might not have seen the value... but we'd had the reservation for months with a discount. We did try to upgrade to a suite, but found the prices astronomical.

We did not have the engineering problems others have had - perhaps we had good timing or they had bad luck.

It is really annoying that valet parking is required. How much do you tip them when you need them to get your car 2-3 times per day, every day?

2 Thank LexGSR
GuestRelations M, Manager at Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your feedback on the guest rooms and the prices on the suite upgrades. We are extremely pleased you found the grounds beautiful. We do indeed present valet parking to our guests as a part of our upscale amenity service. Please note that gratuity is up to the guest and their perception of the level of service received. We hope to welcome you back in the near future. Also, we are pleased you were able to experience La Jolla as a destination- Coffee Cup is one of our favorite local spots!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We stayed for two nights at the end of December, 2013. We needed to change our reservation a few days beforehand, but this hotel has a draconian reservation policy where you cannot modify a reservation within 48 hours of checkin without being charged a full night. It's 2013 (2014 now) and this is ridiculous. But let's ignore that for now. So instead of changing our reservation we ended up staying for both nights.

First off, this hotel is in the middle of nowhere. If you want restaurants, other activities, don't plan on it. You'll need to get on the highway and drive 10-15 minutes. That's fine, probably, because you're coming to a "resort" and "spa" so maybe you want to be isolated. Especially considering they have two restaurants (only one is open at a time, though) so you'll be able to eat there. Except good luck with that. The restaurants are tiny and can't possibly accommodate the guests at the hotel, especially since they allow outside folks to book reservations effectively blocking guests from eating. The first night we were there we went to get dinner at 7PM and we were told all tables were booked for the night. We had to sit at a bar table. Not a big deal, I guess. But it took—I kid you not—2 hours and 10 minutes for us to eat dinner. This is because we waited 15 minutes to order, waited nearly an hour for our food, then waited another 30 minutes to get our check. It was the longest dinner in history, and it was over $150 for 3 people and the food was only so-so (one person ordered the turkey burger and it was actually downright gross). The dessert was good, though, but TINY.

The next morning we tried to get breakfast at 9:30AM and we were told the wait was an hour. For 2 people. AN HOUR. That's truly ridiculous and I've never seen such a thing at a hotel before. When we had breakfast the day before it was tasty, but it was also $100 for 3 people to eat pancakes.

But let's ignore the fact that you can't eat here without waiting forever or sitting at the bar. Let's talk about everything else:

1. The room was pretty small (they claim it's something like 400 square feet but maybe that's all hidden closet space) and very plain. Nothing special at all. It looked like your average Hilton or similar. It was clean, the bathroom was fine, but nothing special. The hallways smelled a bit musty but the room was fine.

2. There was no hot water either morning for several hours. They claim this is abnormal but people we talked to who had been staying for a while said it had happened every morning. I think this hotel cannot accomodate everyone showering in the morning and they claim it's a temporary problem but it seemed like a daily problem. They made jokes to me about how it's "more annoying for the front desk to have to hear about it" than it was for us to not be able to shower until noon.

3. The WiFi was okay (not terribly fast) the first night but then broken the rest of our trip. They claimed they had a guy fixing it, and eventually it came back on but it was not serving internet, only allowing you to connect.

4. Parking requires valet which is super annoying for someone traveling with a 1 year-old because we want to be able to get things from the car occasionally which means instead we have to take EVERYTHING into the hotel and cart EVERYTHING back whenever we travel outside. And come on, don't pretend it's luxury, it's only so you can charge us for it. And they do. $25 a night! It's just another price gouge, which leads us to...

The "resort fee". Expedia claimed it would be $40 a night, Estancia's website said $30, the hotel itself said $17 in person. Either way, here's what you're paying that money for: A) Access to the pool (which should be free), B) Internet (which is slow when it works and wasn't working for 4/5ths of our trip), C) Two bottles of water a day. That's it. That's what you're paying up to $40 a night for. The parking is $25/night extra (on top of the resort fee), restaurants are insanely expensive and the rooms are nothing special. You're basically paying for a couple of bottles of water and access to the pool, which every single other hotel on earth would give you for free. But Estancia claims to be a "spa" and so they charge for it.

On top of all of this, the staff was rude. The people working the hostess positions at both restaurants were dismissive and rude about the wait times as if it was normal, the front desk clerk made a bunch of passive-agressive jokes when I complained about the water and internet situations and he also lost his temper at another guest and when they left he threw his pen across the lobby shattering it against the wall. Then he yelled at my sister when she asked if someone could send a cart for luggage, telling her they were "all sitting outside, just go get one yourself". The bellmen were totally unhelpful—they didn't help us with our bags and stood next to the car refusing to give us the keys until we tipped them. Finally I just told him I wanted my keys and I didn't tip him since he didn't help us load our luggage into our car at all.

After complaining to the psychotic front desk clerk, he removed the resort fee for one night and then after another few minutes of complaining and telling him how crummy our stay was, I got him to remove both nights. So we saved a whopping $34. But after eating breakfast twice and dinner once, plus two nights stay with parking, our bill was nearly $850.00. For two nights. With crummy service. And a so-so room. And hour-long waits for food.

I would not recommend Estancia La Jolla to anyone.

4 Thank gutsack
GuestRelations M, Manager at Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
We appreciate you reaching out via Trip Advisor to share your experience at our hotel. We would like to personally discuss your experience and connect you with our Director of Operations. We have sent you a direct message with his contact information. We apologize for the challenges you experienced and he is eagerly awaiting your response. Thank you.

As an additional note: We've met with our Engineering team and as of last Wednesday 1/15 the boiler issue (hot water issue) was resolved. We are confident that this will not be an issue in the future and are diligently monitoring to ensure this does not happen again.
Moraga, California
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We booked 2 rooms over the holiday break and were told they would be connecting. Checked the day before arrival--were assured they'd connect. We were even told on check-in we had connecting rooms--no such luck, and none available. Wound up in a suite with an uncomfortable sofa-bed. Service was generally poor, though the staff was cheerful. Other guests had similar complaints. Attractive grounds are not enough.

1 Thank JGtripping999
Thank you for your recent review. We apologize for your recent experience and are addressing the details of your review with our management team. We would however like to personally connect and discuss your review. Please check your Trip Advisor direct message as we have sent you a message. We appreciate your time and look forward to your response.
Barrington, Rhode Island
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I recently stayed at Estanca La Jolla Hotel & Spa for a business trip, which was chosen for it's location and recommendations of the locals. I did not visit the spa, so I really cannot comment on that portion of the facility. The actual rooms were nice, but not really special, I would say average for a typical hotel. The layout of the sprawling facility is unusual as you enter on the third floor, and you descend into the bowels of the hill for various rooms.

Many of the rooms overlook the parking lot, and I did not like seeing the behavior of the valets in the parking lot.

I did not visit any of the on site dining, so I cannot comment. on that.
Valet parking is required, and often they are understaffed, and if you do not tip the valets enough, on top of the daily parking fee, on top of the daily valet fee, then it will take longer for the valets to work with you. Furthermore the valets pull double duty as bellhop, and they expect an even larger tip for not bringing all of your luggage. I did *not* tip, as the one bell hop did not bring everything(took him 1 + hr for the first load). He did get a small tip after he brought the rest of the luggage, nearly an hour later (2 hrs after we had called the first time) and this particular bellhop was extremely rude the rest of the 5 day stay while I was there.

Furthermore, you must be sure to check your bill as you leave, as everyone is billed for the car parking/daily valet service, regardless of having a car or not. I had to get the $30 / day charge refunded for each of the days - and it would have gone through had I not checked.

Also, if you do wish to stay here, you are made fun of by the bellhops/valets if you drive up in a Nissan Rental, if you arrive in a Porsche (the guy immediately after us) - they lay down the red carpet, regardless of whether or not you have pants (we were dressed professionally, he was in boxers) .

I cannot recommend this place.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Arvonn T
GuestRelations M, Manager at Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We apologize for your experience and perception of our valet/bell colleagues during your time with us. Our Guest Service team is one of our top-scoring departments in terms of service and we rarely, if ever, receive concerns regarding their performance and/or overall customer service. In saying this, we will follow up with the department leaders to address your review. We appreciate your feedback.
Also consider these accommodations in or near La Jolla
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#5 of 279 in San Diego
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,969 reviews

Been to Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!