“Beautiful grounds, friendly staff”

Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersGold level
“Beautiful grounds, friendly staff”
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

The grounds of the Estancia are by far the highlight of the hotel. Immaculately kept and a reminder of California's splendor. Another highlight is the hotel's restaurants. La Jolla is not lacking in food options but the hotel's restaurants can compete. The Heuvos Rancheros at the Adobe restaurant are a great way to start your day in San Diego. The one drawback of the hotel was that valet is the only option for parking your car. This is completely fine but the tipping can put a drain on your wallet if your staying multiple days and and use your car often.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Claire H
GuestRelations M, Manager at Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to review Estancia. We truly appreciate your mention of our hotel as part of California's splendor. Thank you taking the time to leave us a review and hope to welcome you back again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I just spent 3 nights at the Estancia while at a conference at UCSD. I can't comment on the location because it was perfect for me for the conference (but I have no idea if you are vacationing). I have to say that the Estancia was just amazing. The service was great; the room was spacious and well equipped; the mattress was really really comfortable; the grounds were beautiful. I have nothing bad to say, and I really loved this hotel!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
GuestRelations M, Owner at Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
It was a pleasure to welcome you as our guest for the UCSD conference. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are pleased you found our service, room, grounds and mattress to your liking! And yes, the mattresses are quite blissful! Please come back and visit us soon- perhaps for a vacation! We are indeed centrally located to many beautiful destinations and popular attractions for our vacationing travelers. Have a great rest of the weekend! Thank you again for your review.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 26 February 2014

As luck would have it, I recently discovered the luxurious Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa, located on the cliffs between La Jolla and Del Mar. Taking in the scenery during a relaxing stroll along the beautifully landscaped pathways meandering throughout this 10-acre property, I quickly realized that this resort pays homage to the classic hacienda style architecture which is so indicative of southern California’s colorful heritage. Adobe style buildings, red-tile roofs, ornate ironwork and handsomely crafted wood casings, railings and balconies tucked between stately pines, palm trees and native landscaping make for a spectacular and intimate escape! The soothing sound of water splashing in several ornamental fountains can be heard throughout the property. The Estancia is one of four luxury California resorts in the Meritage Collection. Shortly after it opened in 2004,this AAA four-diamond luxury hotel and spa was listed by Condé Nast as one of the “Hottest New Hotels of the World”. More recently the Estancia received a Condé Nast 2012 award as “One of the Top Spas in the World” and was a TripAdvisor “2013 Certificate of Excellence Winner”. One visit here was all the proof I needed that the accolades are well deserved! For a full review of this incredibly fantastic resort and other vacation destinations, visit TravelRAVE at http://travelrave.wordpress.com

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelRAVE
GuestRelations M, Owner at Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Thank you so much for your review! We took some time and read through the rest of your blog as well. It was wonderful reading all of the highlights you touched on about Adobe El Restaurante, The Spa at Estancia, Trinitas Cellars Wine Bar and Mustangs and Burros- thank you for mentioning The Meritage Collection as well. We are so pleased you enjoyed your time with us and we hope to welcome you back in the near future!
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I had the chance to stay two nights at this hotel while my partner attended a seminar at the hotel. I have to say that the service here is definitely top notch. The valets up front were really efficient. The rooms and grounds are well tended to. The night I arrived, guests sat beside the outdoor fireplace enjoying a glass of wine in good company. The next morning, I soaked up the sun in the gardens and imagined just how lovely it would be to have a wedding at this resort. Had I had a little more time, I would've surely enjoyed their heated pool and spa services.

Brunch at the Adobe restaurant was pretty good, but I wasn't blown away by the food. We peaked at their buffet brunch area and it offered a wide selection of foods, including an omelet station. I think this hotel would be perfect for a girlfriends weekend getaway or an intimate wedding.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Sheila514
GuestRelations M, Owner at Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thank you for mentioning the overall feeling Estancia brings! It is always wonderful to hear that our guests enjoyed the Southern Californian sun in our gardens. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts on weddings. Our location is definitely a popular destination for couples to continue their love stories! Thank you for your lovely review and we hope to welcome you back again soon.
bellingham, wa
Reviewed 19 February 2014

My girlfriend and I had a 'spa weekend' and from start to finish Estancia was fabulous. The staff were friendly, the grounds were immaculate, the spa treatments met our needs (other than we don't like the hard sell at the end of treatment) and it was quiet. We ate in both nights as well as one cold buffet breakfast and we loved everything. And, we have high standards. We wandered around La Jolla Village the first day, did some antique shopping and then came back to relax. In a minute I would come back and I'd like to bring my husband next time. By the way, this was a holiday weekend (Feb. 14-16) and they handled all the traffic extremely well. Thank you for the great experience.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
GuestRelations M, Manager at Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Thank you so much for your 5-star review! We appreciate you giving praise to your entire experience including the staff, the grounds, the spa and the locale. Thank you for choosing Estancia as your 'spa weekend' and we hope to welcome you back again soon!
La Jolla, California
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I stayed here for a work event and was thoroughly impressed with the hotel grounds - from the road it looks very small, but upon entering it is a sprawling resort with great restaurants, helpful staff, and luxurious rooms. It definitely exceeded my expectations. The location is hard to beat as well, next to the Torrey Pines Gliderport and UCSD and just a short drive from the La Jolla Shores beach which is one of my favorites. I'd strongly recommend this place for business, couples getaways or families alike. Great resort!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank nnnick
GuestRelations M, Manager at Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 15 February 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. We are pleased you enjoyed the many aspects of our hotel including the locale, accommodations and the restaurants. Specifically, it is wonderful you mentioned the close proximity to fun and exciting things to do! Thank you again for your review and we appreciate your recommendation for other reviewers!
Chesterfield, Virginia
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

This is what I'd call a typical, resort-type hotel. It's very nice and the service is excellent. What makes it better is the location. Just a short walk from the cliffs and ocean near Torrey Pines, just across the street from a college (UC-San Diego, I think). I wouldn't go here for a vacation but it's a great place to stay if you are in the area for business.

Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
GuestRelations M, Manager at Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review Estancia. We appreciate your mentions of our location and service. You highlighted locale details such as the short walk from the cliffs and ocean near Torrey Pines that many reviewers will find helpful! Thank you for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back in the near future!