“Awesome hotel, great customer service and awesome ambiance!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersGold level
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Awesome hotel, great customer service and awesome ambiance!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2009

A girlfriend and I stayed at this hotel for a girlfriend getaway. Upon check in we were greeted nicely. The staff chose to put us in a courtyard room even though we had paid for the basic room. Our room faced the courtyard and was very beautifully decorated. The grounds of this hotel are amazing! At night there was a band playing at one of the restaurants and several outside fires to sit by. The spa is awesome too although a little overpriced. The food was great as well. Someone in a review of this restaurant said you had to pay $12 if you use the coffee machine in your room and that is simply not true. Attention to detail is the motto at this restaurant. The alarm clock even had an Ipod dock and several "nature sounds" buttons. We spent our second day at the spa so in the morning we called to inquire about a late check out and it was granted at no extra charge so we could check out at 3pm instead of 12pm. Granted it is the off season so I am sure they have more flexibility this time of year. We were able to stay at the hotel for $149 as a special for local San Diego residents. This price included the hotel fee of $12, valet parking and internet access in our room. A great bargain for this luxury hotel. Highly recommend this hotel. It's worth it even if you have to pay full price!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2009

A beautiful setting...large, well landscaped grounds, private gardens and great pool area. A nice Cantina for evening drinks and outdoor fireplaces are charming. Services is friendly, although a bit laid back. There is a parking charge as well as a resort fee tagged on the bill.

Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank Minibarmuncher
Vancouver, BC,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2009

Be careful of unexpected expenses if you stay at Estancia. We stayed at Estancia for a week in January 2009, when Expedia had a sale at 50% off, and Frommer’s guide rated it very highly. This hotel is as good as it is described. Friendly and courteous staff, clean and well furnished rooms and beautifully manicured and attractive gardens and courtyards.
BUT
be aware that valet parking is mandatory (at $25 per day, and no possibility of parking off-site) and several “services” and taxes added an unanticipated almost $40 per day to the amount prepaid to Expedia. The Expedia site did warn of “a daily resort fee…” which was unspecified but this was double dipping on a grand scale. Other hotels on our trip south from Seattle added only taxes to the Expedia charges, if even that, and in-room coffee, newspapers etc were included; not so with Estancia. I suppose in defence of Estancia the fee for valet parking is mentioned in the fine print but not that it is mandatory. I would certainly return (but only after winning the lottery).

• Liked — Horticulture.
  • Disliked — Unanticipated extra charges.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CapesVancouverBC
Westwood, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2009

My wife and I decided to usher in the New Year at Destination Hotel's resort and spa in La Jolla (Estancia). This hotel had a great staff with lush tropic surrounding and warm rooms. We got a killer deal on Hotel's dot come, and the kids (UCSD students) weren't quite back from break so the town was mellow.
It's sort of like the Biltmore SB was planted in La Jolla.

Positives: Staff was courteous and prompt. Pool and Jacuzzi
were clean with cool cabanas. Beds are comfortable with meticulous design in the rooms. Bathrooms were also very fashionable with all the amenities.

Negatives: My wife and I are a young 31, and the hotel probably skews more A35+, but then again that might be the point. TV's were tubes not lcd or plasma, sorry to be a snob but anything short of 720i hurts my eyes.

Last year we stayed at the Ivy downdown, and although the hotel cater's to the younger nuvo riche. The downside is that it's a bit noisy with the club upstairs and the staffed seemed to be going through some growing pains which comes with competing in this space (boutique hotels). Bottom line if you're choosing between the Ivy or Aviara (being...well in Orange County), this is a very relaxing solid pick. The Setai downtown also has quite a bit of buzz with a great place in Miami Beach. But at the price you'll pay, wait for ocupancy to dip below 60% and check the online deals.
did this just turn into a blog? my bad.

sk

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank seankalub
Duluth, Minnesota, USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2009

My brother and his family got a GREAT deal at the Estancia over the holidays -- $149 for a lovely room w/ 2 queen beds overlooking the courtyard. We were so impressed we booked a room there for our last night in Calif. by going to the front desk and asking for their $149 holiday special. So we get there, and check in -- they give us a [---] room with a king bed and a view of a parking lot. Quite unlike my brother's room. I go to the desk and ask for a room on the courtyard -- they tell me they're going to charge me another $30. I agree but I was PISSED. I check their website and see that they are charging $105 for kings with parking lot views and $149 for rooms with the courtyard view for that night. I go back to the desk and ask them about it -- they deny this and claim I'm getting the lowest rate on my room! I just figure, ok, be jerks, and gave up. I loved the place, and would stay there again, but take my advice: book online and specify courtyard view! They do nickel and dime patrons with $25 parking fees, $12 resort fees -- and room service is terrible, the food was inedible. I predict this place will go under by next year.

• Liked — the courtyard!
  • Disliked — being nickel and dimed
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank Claire55812
Temple City, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2009

My teenage daughter and I stayed here last Saturday night, and it was OK. I made the reservation with a great deal of apprehension, because I scoured the internet to read reviews about this place, and they varied wildly. Another TripAdvisor writer gave the **GREAT TIP OF PARKING ACROSS THE STREET AT UC SAN DIEGO BECAUSE IT'S FREE OF THE WEEKENDS**, and that was a superb idea. It was a very short walk, and I loved saving $25 that would have otherwise been spent on the mandatory valet they have at Estancia. I never would've paid $200+ for the room we stayed in, and if I had, I would have been severely upset. It was well-appointed enough, I guess, but not extravagantly so. The bathroom was actually kind of strange because the toilet looked like it was in a closet, and it was very drab. I have to say, everything was immaculate. I looked everywhere just trying to find a little bit of dust and couldn't find any ANYWHERE, not on the top of the dresser, not on the lampshade, nada. That was very impressive. I liked the fact that they had a very cool Homedics alarm clock that provided "soothing sounds" to go to sleep to (like rain forest, ocean, etc.). That was a nice touch. The robes that were in the closet were uncomfortable at best. They had a tag on them that said, "If you would like to purchase one of these robes, please inform the front desk, and we will add the price of one to your bill," and I could not IMAGINE anyone ever doing that! It was laughable. They were NOT plush by any stretch of the imagination. Why I am deducting points/stars for Estancia:
I told the girl at the front desk that I would not be parking my car with their valet service but I still got charged for it when I checked out. A high-class hotel should have a way better system in place to track such charges, and they shouldn't nickel and dime you at every turn.
Also, we ordered room service and the prices in the menu said that a cheese pizza was $12 and a can of coke was (gulp) $3, but when the guy brought our food up, the price magically changed to over $20.00. That was not a fun surprise cuz I barely had enough cash on me to afford it. How did the price change so drastically?! There was absolutely no "fine print" anywhere in the hotel's literature that said I would be charged a "delivery fee" or whatever they ended up calling it. I guess the food was OK but it was not great. The surroundings are beautiful, which lends to the ambiance of the place, but atmosphere can only count for so much. The hallways smelled like "something bad," but I couldn't quite put my finger on what the smell was. It was raining, and it was kind of a musty smell. The heating/cooling system in the room was horrible. We just couldn't seem to get the temperature right, and we kept getting up during the night to adjust it (even though the adjustments didn't seem to do much good). Neither of us slept well, even though the bed looked like it was gonna be dreamy. We had a king bed which we both kept falling into the middle of, as if a fat person had slept right in the middle of it and busted all the springs.
**Don't bother to pay the extra $20+ bucks for a veranda room unless you specifically state that you want a room with a NICE view of the garden. I paid for a veranda room which gave us a great view of um, the parking lot. Absolutely not worth the extra cost. Also, the signage around the hotel could be improved. We were in room 359 which is quite a walk from the lobby, and that wasn't a problem, but the signs kept turning us around in circles. We had a map (worthless) from the front desk, but it was impossible to understand. I remember laughing at one of the signs because it said, "Rooms 300-350: to the right; Rooms 370-400something: to the left," and I was like, "Where the h*ll did Rooms 351-369 go?!" Thank god I just kept walking straight ahead cuz that's where we eventually found the room, but it wasn't easy. The hallways are very easy to get lost in.

• Liked — Beautiful landscaping; quiet room
  • Disliked — Hidden charges
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank its_rosie
Old Tappan, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2008

My wife and I stayed here for four nights and I will never go back. The other comments about "Pottery Barn" decor etc. are quite true but the overwhelming (and overbearing) characteristic of the place is its snooty attitude. Its as if the guests exist for the benefit of the staff, not the other way around.The hotel nickel and dimes you at every turn.The $9.00/day charge for "free" internet and the use of a tiny coffee maker + one package of terrible coffee morphed into $12.00/day on checkout.The outrageous valet parking charge of $20.00/day became $25.00 at check-in and the valets constantly had their hands out for tips.No tip lead to much sarcasm and hovering valets as a getaway was attempted. I saw a lady wave her hand right in one of their faces as she got into her Lexus.Street parking is greatly restricted to Salk Institute employees, but we did manage to get a spot there on Saturday and Sunday nights.The first night of our arrival,after traveling 15 hours and being thoroughly looked up and down by the desk clerk,I was assured that it would be perfectly OK if our daughter,who we were visiting,wanted to park in front of the lobby where there plenty of spots.Not only was she not allowed to park but the "valets" tried to shoo her off the property until I made it down there.Thanks for cell phones.
My daughter has been at school in La Jolla for three years so I've stayed at any number of places there and in San Diego.Estancia is the only facility I would NEVER return to.

• Liked — locking the room door
  • Disliked — the cheap and snobby attitude
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple