“Loved the Setting...but strangely unsafe condition in room”

Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersGold level
orange county,ca
“Loved the Setting...but strangely unsafe condition in room”
Reviewed 28 June 2009

Everything about it was nice and peaceful and upscale....there was a wedding being held but it was soft music and we could always close the window. The music that evening was quite enjoyable on the patio at the restaurant and loved the bricked area with pillows and soft lighting. The staff was pleasant also.
There was an annoyance regarding retrieving our vehicle once they had parked it....took an hour.....and our room was not ready at 3pm which was check in time.
The real odd thing was that the carpet was slippery and my elderly mom slipped and fell. The tile in the bathroom was slippery as well and we had to throw down a damp towel to step on in order to avoid slipping in the bathroom as well....
I am not sure how it became slippery....possibly the spray wax ended up on the carpet over time and created a slick surface...it was sort of a braided low pile carpet so did not have a nap. Very unsafe and surprising considering the professional service and ambiance of the hotel.
Wondering if this hotel is as professional as it seems.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
Summer6931
Reviewed 23 June 2009

My friend recommended this place. My husband and I were on our way to the Gaslamp in San Diego for business and decided to give The Estancia a try the day before. We stayed one day/night and it was wonderful! Burros Gringos has great food and Margaritas! The staff and the grounds were excellent! It's conveniently located...we walked to the beach, had dinner in the village, and kayaked. We will definitely return and definitely will spread the word about this great get away.

1 Thank Summer6931
Corona
Reviewed 23 June 2009

Wow...where do I start...or where should I stop? The Estancia Hotel & Spa was superb! From the moment I arrived and the Valet took my car, parked it and welcomed me into their hotel, I knew I was in the right spot. Check in was a breeze with the hotel map provided and directions given to my room. Once in my suite I found shangri-la. Note that I travel extensively for business to places here in the US and abroad, notably New Zealand, Australia, Canada, Mexico. I have stayed at a Golf Resort in Christchurch, New Zealand that I thought was the epitome of nice. But I have now renamed my choice to the Estancia Hotel & Spa. Besides my suite being very spacious, full of nice decorative touches and every amenity I could ask for, I found my way to the Mustangs and Burros restaurant. A most attentive staff greeted me, offered me indoor or outdoor seating. The menu was fun and full of interesting selections. Try the Pintxos Platter. Just a great plate full of good for you bread, cheese, stuffed grape leaves and olives. And the best garlic concoction I have found. Don't get me wrong, its not that I don't like this place...I loved this place! Every minute of it. The grounds are precisely manicured, the buildings are exceptionally well kept and the atmosphere is shear sophistication. I plan to be back and hopefully soon. This Hotel really gets it. Stellar customer service, beautiful grounds, exemplary facilities and gorgeous rooms. It added up to the best hotel stay I have ever had. Thanks Estancia Hotel & Spa for a truly comfortable experience.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank jrozatti
Belle Mead
Reviewed 23 June 2009

Attended a wedding held at Estancia. From check-in to check-out every detail was attended to. From the welcome dinner, ceremony, reception and brunch on Sunday, it was absolute perfection. Their attention to detail and desire to please was remarkable. The resort is immaculate and the staff was helpful and courteous. We will definitely keep Estancia on our list of places to visit again.

New Mexico
Reviewed 22 June 2009

I just spent three nights at the Estancia. The grounds are beautiful and the staff was helpful; however, I've had far better experiences at other hotels in La Jolla and San Diego. My room had a peculiar, gamy odor so I asked to be moved. Unfortunately, the second room had the same odor. The staff did provide a machine that was plugged in and helped to neutralize the smell. This must be an ongoing problem. I was unable to sleep for three nights because I found the bedding to be extremely uncomfortable! Both the comforter and the pillows were heavy and lumpy. I prefer soft down bedding. There were also many stains on the carpet which didn't add to the ambiance of the room!

The patio at the Mustangs and Burros is a lovely spot, but the food is over-priced and mediocre.

It really bothered me that this hotel adds a "resort fee" to their daily room price. What's that about? Also, parking is 100% valet (which means a tip everytime you want to go somewhere) and the over night parking fee is $25.

I also paid an additional amount for an upgraded room with a balcony that overlooked a courtyard. As a previous reviewer mentioned, there was a wedding on Saturday evening in the courtyard. My balcony was literally just feet away from this event. I felt like a wedding crasher!

Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
Newport Beach
Reviewed 21 June 2009

Staff totally unwilling to REALLY help with the situation. Guess revenue from a big wedding kills an individuals needs and concerns. Restaurant was over priced and any amenity had a price. I'm used to La Quinta in Palm Springs kind of service or Hotel Playa in Carmel CA. Now THAT'S SERVICE. This is just another wanna be.

2 Thank traveler_drjay
rubicon04
Reviewed 15 June 2009

Had a corner room suit right across from the pool. everything from the room to mustangs was exceptional. the staff was very friendly and helpful with everything. would love to go back and will.