“Great if you don't mind getting Staph”

Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersGold level
Ouarzazate, Morocco
“Great if you don't mind getting Staph”
Reviewed 17 July 2009

I found a wonderful deal for the Estancia on-line and was excited to be so close to La Jolla where my fiancé grew up. The plusses- beautiful, well kept grounds, polite staff (very friendly bartenders at pool), and a decent room (no more or less than one would expect).

Downside-as one reviewer mentioned the parking is valet only. In order to get around this I parked on the street but worried every day if I'd have a spot when I returned as street parking was very limited. Also, the spa fee is not needed. I used the spa and it was pleasant but overpriced. I've had better facials (with extraction) for 1/2 the price.

The real DOWNER-I contracted a staph infection from the hot tub. I had never had staph and was shocked to have a horrible outbreak-especially on my face. Now, if it wasn't the hot tub which my doctor back home concluded then it was the facial at the spa. Either way, it turned me off going back.

Note: if you want to visit Black's Beach then this resort has the best location. I'd simply say, think twice as you may want to spend your $ somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Zvaigznite

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed 16 July 2009

My son just graduated from UCSD and I wish I had discovered this beautiful hotel earlier in his student days. It's right across the street from Muir College dorms and an easy walk to the center of campus. Expedia often has very good rates as long as you don't mind paying daily extra charge for valet. The grounds are beautifully kept & really give you the feeling of being in a top-notch Mexican resort.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
California
Reviewed 5 July 2009

One of my favorite places to stay in San Diego. Great family friendly service, good food, and beautiful grounds. This hotel should be a four star at least. Nice comfy beds and towels plus rooms are very quiet. Although it's off the beaten path...its worth the experience! If you get to peek at a wedding...you should take advantage. It's such a beautiful place to get married. Will come back very soon.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
va
Reviewed 30 June 2009

I have stayed at Estancia a handful of times and plan on coming back. the rooms are very comfortable, the staff is very accommodating, the food is top notch. I have yet to have a chance to enjoy a full day at the gorgeous pool, but will do so on my next trip

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank edz5
orange county,ca
Reviewed 28 June 2009

Everything about it was nice and peaceful and upscale....there was a wedding being held but it was soft music and we could always close the window. The music that evening was quite enjoyable on the patio at the restaurant and loved the bricked area with pillows and soft lighting. The staff was pleasant also.
There was an annoyance regarding retrieving our vehicle once they had parked it....took an hour.....and our room was not ready at 3pm which was check in time.
The real odd thing was that the carpet was slippery and my elderly mom slipped and fell. The tile in the bathroom was slippery as well and we had to throw down a damp towel to step on in order to avoid slipping in the bathroom as well....
I am not sure how it became slippery....possibly the spray wax ended up on the carpet over time and created a slick surface...it was sort of a braided low pile carpet so did not have a nap. Very unsafe and surprising considering the professional service and ambiance of the hotel.
Wondering if this hotel is as professional as it seems.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Summer6931
Reviewed 23 June 2009

My friend recommended this place. My husband and I were on our way to the Gaslamp in San Diego for business and decided to give The Estancia a try the day before. We stayed one day/night and it was wonderful! Burros Gringos has great food and Margaritas! The staff and the grounds were excellent! It's conveniently located...we walked to the beach, had dinner in the village, and kayaked. We will definitely return and definitely will spread the word about this great get away.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Summer6931
Corona
Reviewed 23 June 2009

Wow...where do I start...or where should I stop? The Estancia Hotel & Spa was superb! From the moment I arrived and the Valet took my car, parked it and welcomed me into their hotel, I knew I was in the right spot. Check in was a breeze with the hotel map provided and directions given to my room. Once in my suite I found shangri-la. Note that I travel extensively for business to places here in the US and abroad, notably New Zealand, Australia, Canada, Mexico. I have stayed at a Golf Resort in Christchurch, New Zealand that I thought was the epitome of nice. But I have now renamed my choice to the Estancia Hotel & Spa. Besides my suite being very spacious, full of nice decorative touches and every amenity I could ask for, I found my way to the Mustangs and Burros restaurant. A most attentive staff greeted me, offered me indoor or outdoor seating. The menu was fun and full of interesting selections. Try the Pintxos Platter. Just a great plate full of good for you bread, cheese, stuffed grape leaves and olives. And the best garlic concoction I have found. Don't get me wrong, its not that I don't like this place...I loved this place! Every minute of it. The grounds are precisely manicured, the buildings are exceptionally well kept and the atmosphere is shear sophistication. I plan to be back and hopefully soon. This Hotel really gets it. Stellar customer service, beautiful grounds, exemplary facilities and gorgeous rooms. It added up to the best hotel stay I have ever had. Thanks Estancia Hotel & Spa for a truly comfortable experience.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business