“Comparatively good value for the amenities, location, and star rating.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa

Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersGold level
Nashville, Tennessee
“Comparatively good value for the amenities, location, and star rating.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2009

Overall the stay and the staff were great. Valet, desk, and room service were top-notch. (1 clerk needed a new attitude, but he was on night shift, so no big deal.) Grounds are lovely and there are plenty of courtyards and other areas to enjoy. Pool and jacuzzi w/ wait service (and drinks!) can't be beat! Rooms were comfortable and super-clean - although the a/c wasn't working well in my 1st or 2nd room. (3rd time was a charm.) Cell reception was terrible b/c the building is layered concrete and stucco. I booked via Expedia and received a great deal on the room (3 nights) and my flight. I upgraded for a balcony (for $15-20) and had to upgrade again upon arrival (another $20) to get a room with a view other than asphalt. I definitely recommend the upgrade if you are on a leisure trip. Otherwise, don't even upgrade for a balcony. :) I had some issues during the stay and discovered an error in my bill upon my return home. All issues were resolved promptly and professionally. I would stay there again, but will likely try their sister property in Del Mar (L'Auberge?) the next time as there are supposed to be ocean views from parts of the property.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Southern_Siren

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2009

Estancia Hotel is a wonderful hideaway for business or pleasure. The rooms and grounds are beautiful and clean. I think I am fussy about cleanliness, but was very comfortable at the Estancia. The rooms are well appointed with everything you could want. I have stayed twice once in January and again in August 2009. I am planning to stay again in about two weeks because it is a great home away from home.
On both of my stays I had dinner and drinks at the Mustangs & Burros Restaurant a beautiful indoor/outdoor location. It is your choice to eat inside or out under the stars. There is a great outdoor fireplace and the setting is wonderful. You sit out under the stars among the beautiful gardens that are lit with candles. The servers were friendly even though they were busy. I do suggest you bring a jacket if you get cold because it to beautiful to eat inside, but La Jolla nights can be cool.
My past stay I had breakfast out on the balcony over the gardens at the Adobe El Restaurante, but you can eat inside if you would like. I had the buffet it was wonderful, the only problem is deciding what to eat it all looked good. My breakfast was unrushed and the service was exceptional. If you are in a hurry this is still a good choice, I watched other dinners get in and out with out a problem.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
San Francisco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2009

This property is beautiful. The service is wonderful. Everyone who works there is super nice and friendly -- except the women who work at the front desk literally look down their noses at you if you book via travelocity. I had read this on another review and didn't believe that could possibly be but it is true. But it is. We were put in a room in the way back with a very dark patio -- the hotel is at most 25% occupied this week -- and we asked to move to the courtyard they so "no" since we booked on a package through travelocity -- we would have to cancel our entire reservation (hi we are there standing in front of you!) and book directly with the hotel. On the second of our five nights our air conditioning failed and when I asked to be moved once again the woman at the front desk suggested I wait it out to see if maitenance could fix it. After a night with no air conditioning I was not up for that so she begrugedly moved us to a slightly nicer room. That particular room had a toilet that continually self flushed and while the air conditioner worked when it turned on sounded like a plane was taking off. I actually did call engineering then and they said there was "nothing" they could do. For such a nice property I think the actual rooms are not so hot --unless of course you book directly and can hopefully get a room that is considered premium. It also would be super if there was a place on site to be able to buy water and light breakfast food. I definitely feel this place is for the business traveler.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SFMOM14
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2009

Our stay at the Estancia was everything we hoped for. Our room was just as advertised, quiet and restful--even though the hotel was sold out. Every staff member we met was friendly and helpful. We ate at both restaurants, again--just as advertised. Grounds were beautiful. We had a gorgeous view from our dinner table. All in all, we would love to stay here again!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Phoenix
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2009

Traveled to San Diego with my boyfriend and two teenage boys. Booked the hotel through Priceline.com and ended up at the Estancia La Jolla. Needless to say, we were happy about the location, but not sure about the amenities the hotel had to offer,considering we had teenagers with us. To start things off, we arrived at the Estancia close to 4 p.m., and our rooms were not ready until close to 5:30. We had to drive around killing time before we could check in to our rooms and change, since the hotel now had our bags stored away. Also, upon arrival, we found out that the parking is valet only. No self parking, and they charged us $25 a day for it - which also meant we had to now tip the valet staff each time we left the hotel, which was usually more than once per day. When our rooms were finally ready, the staff insisted on bringing our bags to our rooms for us, however, it took them quite some time to do so. We didn't spend much time in the hotel, as we had plans elsewhere each day we were there. However, the one time we did head over to the bar area, we sat for about 20 minutes without being waited on, so left. Lastly, we spent 4 nights at the Estancia - booked 2 rooms, paid $25 per day for parking, tipped valets each time, paid $12 per day for extra hospitality fees, and yet as we were packing our car up to leave the hotel on the final day, my boyfriend was basically scolded by the valet guy about using one of their baggage carts and packing up our own car. Said "next time, don't take our carts..this is the way we make our money." And forced the issue by taking the bags and trying to pack the car himself. Didn't go over well!
As for the hotel itself, I have no complaints. It's perfectly located across the street from UCSD in La Jolla, close to everything, beautiful property, and appeared to be quite clean. I would just say that if traveling w/kids, it may not be the right fit. Could use some tennis courts! Could be perfect though for a couple who want a nice, quiet place to retreat to while in La Jolla. I'd also just be aware up front of the mandatory valet, and high parking/hospitality fees.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank CocoaPhoenix
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2009

We stayed here for three nights, having booked through the hotel directly, utilizing their (still-running, I believe) "Bailout" promotion, which allowed us to stay in a Deluxe King room with a balcony for $237 per night, and waived the daily resort and parking fees of $12 and $25, respectively. Without that kind of a deal, I doubt we'd have stayed there due to the high cost.
However, it was a lovely, traditional California-decor kind of place, with a nice wine bar and restaurant/patio bar. We did eat at the upscale dining room, as well, which was frankly mediocre, especially for the price. Do yourself a favor a eat out for your fancy meal. George's at the Cove was fantastic....
Valet were pleasant and quick, though I typically prefer non-valet, but with a hotel of this kind, you don't have that option.
Room service was very quick and good, and surprisingly (relatively well-priced).
We were there mid-week and the pool was well kept, never crowded and nicely heated, as was the jacuzzi. Love that they don't allow any kids under 14 in the jacuzzi, even with an adult.
Gym was small, but functional and although we ended up not booking any spa services, I did catch a glimpse of the facilities and they were quite nice.
Location was fabulous; about 3 minutes to the Scripps Aquarium, maybe 5-7 minutes into downtown LaJolla, and 15-20 into northern beach towns of Encinitas and Cardiff (eat at Las Olas Mexican; long wait but DELICIOUS! and fun).
All in all, a great place to stay if you don't mind spending a little extra, and certainly worth it if you can book a good deal.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank maki1122
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2009

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. It is a beautiful property located in the high rent La Jolla area, but very affordable. Setting is lush and grounds very well kept. Friendly staff. Nice spacious room. Good breakfast menu.

Stayed April 2009, travelled with family