“Surprised”
Review of Herringbone

Herringbone
Reserve with OpenTable
Herringbone is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 1,234 Restaurants in La Jolla
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Wall Street
Description: Located in the coastal community of La Jolla, Herringbone offers "Fish Meats Field" cuisine by Top Chef Season 3's Brian Malarkey.
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Slow start, low expectations and not much of a Malarkey fan but hey in the end I can't fault the total experience for a midweek Happiness Hour. Our Server was excellent and seriously short on help but soldiered through the challenges.
We cranked through Oysters, Champagne, Flatbread, their Arancini etc. and everything was good-excellent. Decor is dynamite, presentations are a nice simple rustic look and other than the shallot less :-( dull mignonette and bland pepper sauces accompanying the oysters I can't really seriously complain about anything. Thankfully they were fresh and tasty enough to just take a hit of lemon. I'd go back.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We had slightly mixed reviews at our table. We both agreed the service was very good. The atmosphere was nice but I thought the decor wasn't consistent. It was really warm and fun in some areas and had a colder feel in other parts of the restaurant. It is certainly a more upbeat and fun atmosphere than most restaurants in the area, which I personally like. The caesar salad had good flavor but was soaked in dressing. The baked goat cheese wasn't great, but they only brought a small amount of cheese and a ton of pita like chips to go with it, so had it been good the service of cheese to chips was way off. The chicken entree was decent, 7.5 out of 10.
Overall I will not return. Reservations are recommended. There is outdoor seating but everyone eats inside for the fun atmosphere.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I tried out Herringbone on a Friday night (missed the oyster happy hour!) for appetizers and drinks at the back bar. The atmosphere in the restaurant is fun, with odd decor all around the restaurant that constantly draws your attention all around. I was bouncing around town trying out local bars and decided to dive in to the whole fish ceviche app with a Hendricks dirty. I did not expect it to come out with the head and tail placed gently next to it, but once I got over staring at the fish I was eating I was in heaven. It is clear that this restaurant is run by a chef that takes great pride in the food that was put out. The staff were typical and the women at the bar definitely got more attention, but it is expected. There was a lot of clear flirting and horseplay between servers and bartenders, being the only thing from keeping me away from a 5 star rating.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

So...was a bit concerned about some of the reviews, but all turned out well. We did have a bit of a wait for our server, but once she arrived, all was good. She even recognized the problem and compensated us with free dessert. She was extremely nice and effective. Knew her wines!

The food was pretty good. Flat bread selections (pizza) were good. The hamachi crude was pretty good...

Dessert was really good.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This is a fun casual restaurant. It is suitable for families with young children. It seems you have to be young, attractive and hip to work here, nevertheless, the staff measure up and are highly attentive. We had many waiters attending to our table of 2. Its principally a seafood restaurant.

One of our appetizers was a raw scallop on negroni watermelon, with thinly sliced jalapeno, and a citrus drizzle. It was perfect, but the scallop was not fresh, and had to be set aside. We opted for the wood fired flat bread, which would be a great option for kids or light fare, but was probably not the best representation of the chef's talents. Despite these missteps, we liked the restaurant, the ambiance, and the high energy. We would return.