“A beautifully scenic spot, and great for people watching.”

Shell Beach Tide Pools
Ranked #22 of 77 things to do in La Jolla
Evergreen, Colorado, United States
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“A beautifully scenic spot, and great for people watching.”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This area of La Jolla seems to be pretty popular with visitors, but was not by any means overcrowded while I was there. (That said, I visited on a Monday and Tuesday). If you're staying in la Jolla proper, take a stroll down to the water and enjoy!

Visited June 2014

Denver, Colorado
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Bring your pups early in the morning.”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Most of the beaches in La Jolla allow dogs in the morning and evening. Do a google search to get the specific hours for each beach. Our dogs particularly enjoyed running and playing in the tide pools - obviously only accessible at low tide. Go around to La Jolla Shores if you are looking for soft sand.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank CitasDash
New York
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Depends on how you feel about rocks”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

these are really cool rock formations that you can walk over and peer into at low tide. the creatures in them are mostly of the slow moving variety, but there are small fish and snails if you take the time to watch (and if you get to see the fish before the birds get them, which is also interesting to watch). add a star if you're into weird rocks and have patience; subtract one if you want to see moving creatures and have no interest in the formations

Visited April 2014
7 Thank syzygymfl
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Fun find”
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

We spent an hour or so at the tide pools and loved it. It was a little slippery/rocky for our 2 year old to walk around on his own, but with help he did fine. We had fun looking for animals in the pools and just enjoying the scenery. It was sunny when we were there, so the water was beautiful...turquoise in some places. I would definitely come back again. Don`t forget to go see the seals when you're done with the tide pools!

4 Thank Lindsey H
Atlanta, Georgia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Gorgeous Views”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

The water was different shades of blue and there were places where it would hit the rocks and spray. I felt like a professional photographer because most of the pictures I took turned out well. I enjoyed watching the seals sun bath at the kids cove. I only saw a handful of really good tide pools, it's possible I did not got far enough, but since I have never seen tide pools like these before I thought it was pretty awesome.

Visited April 2014