“Delicious food, Parisian atmosphere”
Review of The Hake

The Hake
Reserve with OpenTable
The Hake is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 1,241 Restaurants in La Jolla
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Ivanhoe
Description: Happy Hour Every Day From 4 - 7 pm The Hake offers a seafood-focused menu with global touches, plus signature cocktails
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Our first time in La Jolla and we must have walked around for an hour trying to decide where to eat, which as you know is more difficult when you're extremely hungry. After we dismissed a couple places we chose for good Yelp reviews because of a long wait, we found The Hake. I loved walking down the stairs to the sunken patio, and feeling like we stepped into a French cafe. The staff was very accommodating, quick to take our order and giving us space to enjoy our meals. I don't think my water glass went half empty before someone came to top it off, it was really impeccable service. The the food...... SO good. A bit fancy, small portions for more money, but quality was superb which to me means great value. I had the Greek sandwich with fries and my husband had the shrimp roll with a salad. Everything was delicious! Even the simple 5-herb salad was above-par. My husbands only complaint was that it was nearly impossible to pick up the shrimp roll and eat it, he had to use his utensils (typical guy complaint) but he said it was worth it. We'll definitely be back to this little gem.

1  Thank chasetravelbug

Reviewed 20 March 2014

We went to 3 "fine dining" restaurants in La Jolla and Hake had the best food. It was a bit noisy and we had a disorganized waiter for whom the management more than compensated with a free entree, glass of wine and dessert, but I tasted the best seared tuna I have ever had and an amazing scallop dish and dessert. Wonderful

Reviewed 9 March 2014

We found the best food in San Diego! Arrived early,after making reservation, to discover we were the first noon hour guests. We persevered and had a truly excellent meal. The tuna burger was FRESH, and was served with an arugula salad with cucumber slices and avocado. Dressing was tasty!
Dessert was key lime ( pie) Semifredda , to die for!
Service attentive and friendly.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

We had a great lunch here with good food and service. My wife had the Nicoise salad, which was good. I had the Smokey Mahi tacos and the Hamachi. I could have ordered three orders of the tacos as they were fabulous. The Hamachi, with the jalapenos and miso, was different with a nice blend of flavor. We both enjoyed it.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Simple one page menu cuts down on decision making.

Surf and turf selection as usual, with the steak choices priced at a 30% premium over the seafood. The day's special is also premium priced over the paper copy.

The roasted octopus offers a nice fusion of taste and crunch. Would like to actually see the octopus portion instead of break crumb cubes.

The striped bass is a solid entree, not overcooked, although taste did not stand out much.

Server did not volunteer dessert menu and that was a marketing mistake.

Bill is hefty, and that is for a meal without the alcohol.