“Japanese fusion”
Review of Cafe Japengo

Cafe Japengo
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Japengo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #36 of 1,237 Restaurants in La Jolla
Price range: US$35 - US$50
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: La Jolla Village
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

Recommend reservations. My husband and I met another couple for dinner. Restaurant has a nice atmosphere, unique menu items. The server was friendly and made dinner suggestions which we took. I had the Miso butterfish and my husband had sushi. Our companions had the Vietnamese Pork and a shrimp and scallops wok dish. They added a couple of pieces of sushi as well. For the price I expected phenomenal and it just wasn't.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Location - perfect. If you are staying at the Hyatt, 4 restaurants are across the street from the hotel, but Japengo is the only one that isn't a major chain. They offer excellent, very fresh sushi as well as a variety of other innovative Asian dishes. My husband loved the hot and sour soup - his appetite was small that evening. I was in love with two interesting rolls. The space is nice and you feel pampered. You can order a light dinner or splurge. Cocktails were interesting and there was a nice wine list.

This restaurant made a business trip feel a little more like a vacation.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

Our server was so accommodating making sure there were no seeds or nuts added to our entrees or sushi. We enjoyed a tasty dinner especially the shrimp and scallops with noodles. Scallops were browned and sweet. It was salty, but that may be my taste. Burning sun cocktail was the right mix of sweet, tart, and heat. I wasn't fond of the fried rice dish and again it might be my taste so that's why it isn't five stars. I would definitely return.

Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

This is perhaps the best of the 3 restaurants facing the Hyatt (OK I've only tried 2 but looked at menu). Very good sushi and other fish dishes as well as duck (the quasi-fish) all with an east Asian slant that comes off well.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

We had lunch here on a weekday after a conference at the nearby Hyatt. The cuisine could be called fusion. There is an outstanding selection of teas. What I had was very good for lunch. Also the service was excellent, and the space comfortable and inviting.