“Delicious food, but hostess was not welcoming”
Review of Cafe Japengo

Cafe Japengo
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Japengo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #40 of 1,231 Restaurants in La Jolla
Price range: US$35 - US$50
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: La Jolla Village
Reviewed 18 April 2014

The food was quite good. We ordered a variety of items from the menu and everything was delicious.
I did not care for the fact that the hostess was on the phone when we arrived and continued talking for at least a full 5 minutes before even acknowledging our presence or the 3 other parties that had lined up behind us. It seems to me that the hostess is there to greet customers as they walk in the door. My husband and I considered this to be a bit rude.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

Have been going to this restaurant since it first opened in the early 90's and its almost as good as the first day. They have a great happy hour in the bar and the sushi bar is fantastic, you sit and watch them making the sushi rolls in front of you.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

A classic. Parking's a pain. Sushi here's been good for a long time. Always reliable, a good go-to if you have guests in town, etc.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

...my duck salad was excellent: Interesting greens, a nice blend of shoots, sprouts and noodles, light and lovely dressing, goat cheese, sugared pecans and a very generous portion of tasty, succulent sliced duck. It was a large lunch serving, very attractively presented.

At lunchtime, the room was not full, so it was easy to hear across the table and to conduct business after eating. The service was excellent until we had to chase down the server to take our credit card so we both could get on to other appointments.

Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

Recommend reservations. My husband and I met another couple for dinner. Restaurant has a nice atmosphere, unique menu items. The server was friendly and made dinner suggestions which we took. I had the Miso butterfish and my husband had sushi. Our companions had the Vietnamese Pork and a shrimp and scallops wok dish. They added a couple of pieces of sushi as well. For the price I expected phenomenal and it just wasn't.