“I could not wait to get out of there.”
Review of Cafe Japengo

Cafe Japengo
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Japengo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #36 of 1,242 Restaurants in La Jolla
Price range: US$35 - US$50
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: La Jolla Village
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I thought the sushi was mediocre and the sushi menu quite limited. It was so dark in Japengo II was unable to read about half of the menu. The rap music was so loud I couldn't hear myself think. The menu only explains half of the rolls and I had to ask what was in it when the roll did arrive. The tiny piece of tuna that was on each roll was not bad but I had no idea what I was eating. Partly because I couldn't see what I was eating and then because it didn't taste like anything.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

I ate here this week while in La Jolla for business. The place was fairly empty except for the bar area and I sat at the sushi bar where I experienced excellent service and very good sushi. I also ordered some fire roasted oysters off of the menu . These were recommended by my server. They were good but very small for the price. Overall I enjoyed Japengo and came here because I had eaten at the branch in the Hyatt in Maui which was fantastic. I think the La Jolla branch is not quite as good but certainly a decent choice if in La Jolla. Parking was valet only at $8.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We used to go to Cafe Japengo fairly frequently. This was more than 10 years ago. But we haven't been there in at least that long. We returned last night with an out of town guest, expecting it to be as good as before. We were really surprised, disappointed, and embarrassed. The Jamaican pork was gummy, greasy, and tasted a bit like Sloppy Joe's. Scallops and Shrimp were similarly poorly prepared. Sushi were unimaginative, with rice that was dry and fish that didn't seem particularly fresh. None of us could finish our meals. We had made reservations for a celebratory dinner with a large group in a few weeks but have cancelled those reservations.

This might have been an off night but I suspect not. The restaurant--which we remember as generally crowded--was virtually empty. That suggests a loss of clientele based on consistent poor performance. We will not return.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I had dinner here with a group of people and would recommend it for large parties. The service was just ok but the food was great. We ordered a vareity of sushi and sashimi and the restaurant did a great job of diving the order up into three platters and spacing them on the table so that everyone had access to everything that was ordered.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Come here at least once a month, never disappointed. Try spicy tuna hand rolls or carne asada roll, you will be back.