“Terrace Dining with Flair”

NINE-TEN Restaurant & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
NINE-TEN Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 1,241 Restaurants in La Jolla
Price range: US$0 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Girard
Description: An ongoing commitment to innovative cuisine using only the freshest local produce makes NINE-TEN a must visit for culinary aficionados. This intimate restaurant, led by Executive Chef Jason Knibb and Pastry Chef Jose Alonzo III, offers the perfect combination of sophistication and casual elegance and an ideal location along La Jolla's Prospect Street. Enjoy the best of the harvest from local artisan farmers, where produce is selected daily for the restaurant's Evolving California Cuisine. The bounty of the sea is also featured with local fish selections and items arriving daily from Hawaii and the North Pacific and Atlantic regions. Special prix fixe menus are available and feature matching wines from the extensive wine cellar. Enjoy dining indoors or on the sidewalk patio or outdoor terrace with glimpses of the ocean. A separate bar offers limited menu and happy hour specials daily. Open daily for breakfast and lunch and dinner nightly. Sunday Brunch is also offered.
Edmonton, Canada
“Terrace Dining with Flair”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

We had a romantic dinner on a quiet terrace with superior service and dishes served with artistic flair. This is a classy restaurant in a majestic hotel. Our salads (beet, mixed greens) were divine. The salmon and halibut entrees were mouth watering delicious. We finished our meal off with their strawberry shortcake. If you want to impress someone bring them here.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank kpatters
GrandeColonial, Executive Chef at NINE-TEN Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear kpatters: Thank you for the nice comments you wrote about your recent dinner at NINE-TEN. The weather here in La Jolla has been fantastic so I'm glad you had the chance to dine out on our back terrace. I appreciate your positive feedback about the food and dessert and will be sure to share your comments with our entire team. Thanks again. Jason Knibb, Executive Chef

La Jolla, California
“pleasant place for breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Great coffee and breakfast. Quiet as well as comfortable. A place away from the crowds. Enjoy every time we eat there.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank jhaley_13
GrandeColonial, Manager at NINE-TEN Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear jhaley_13 - I just wanted to tell you how grateful we are to you for taking the time to write a few comments about your recent breakfast experience at NINE-TEN. We agree with you 100%. Our breakfast is one of the best kept secrets in La Jolla. Not only do you get the quality of cuisine NINE-TEN is so renowned for, but you get to experience it in a wonderful location and (generally) without any wait. And our new Pastry Bar, offering the amazing Maple Bacon Bars by our Pastry Chef Rachel King, has been a huge hit with our breakfast regulars. We look forward to seeing you back again soon too. Thanks again, Summer Haines, Manager & Sommelier
Vernon, Canada
“Best restaurant meal in recent memory”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Went after researching restaurants on TripAdvisor. So glad we made the trek from Downtown San Diego for dinner.

We had a French waiter, named Thiery, who was genuine in his care for our table and very personable. It's a breath of fresh air to see service like that when so many servers these days have zero personality and culture and do not have anything to add to the experience. He was excellent.

My wife and I chose the three course dinner. The braised pork belly appetizer was phenomenal. Perfect balance of sweet and saltiness, the pork itself was absolutely delicious and had a crisp skin. Much care has been put into the thought of the entire plate and it certainly was noticed.

We also had the octopus which was so tender and very good however next to the pork belly, it was overshadowed. So many appies I wanted to try. I'm a steak tartare fan and wished I had the appetite for more food!

Wines selected by server for pairings were very good as well especially the French dessert wine with the cheese course.

Main courses were equally good. Scallops and Lamb were perfectly cooked. My scallops were seared rare. Lamb was delicious. Everything on both plates worked so well together.

From service to food. This restaurant is a winner. I would go again if in the area and will recommend to people. Absolutely a pleasure from start to finish. If I go back I will try the 5 course tasting menu. In fact, it's the only thing I regret about not doing that night.

3 Thank Aaron J
GrandeColonial, Executive Chef at NINE-TEN Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Aaron J - Needless to say, I was very happy to read your review about your recent dinner at NINE-TEN. I appreciate the kind words about the food you experienced and I look forward to "wowing" you further when you come back for the "Mercy of the Chef" tasting menu. It's not to be missed. Thank you also for singling out your server, Thierry. He is truly one of the best in this business and we are lucky to have him. I will certainly share your comments with him. On behalf of our entire team, thank you again. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit. Chef Jason Knibb
Kirkland, Washington, United States
“Nice atmosphere, excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

We ate there the first night of our stay in La Jolla a the Grand Colonial (where the restaurant is located). Convenient to be sure but also worth a special trip if you're in La Jolla.
It was a Wednesday night and wine bottles were half-priced. We ordered an excellent savignon blanc to go with the halibut, which was cooked perfectly -- moist and flavorful (a real treat since so often at restaurants, halibut can be over-cooked and tasteless.).
our table was on the terrace with heat lamps (at little too intense) to keep away the evening chill and a "corner" view of the ocean.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Z4Jones
GrandeColonial, Director of Food & Beverage at NINE-TEN Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Z4Jones - so glad you had the opportunity to experience dinner at NINE-TEN, especially on a Wednesday when we offer 1/2 priced bottles of wine from our wine list. I will pass along your positive comments about the halibut to our chef. I also appreciate you letting me know that the heat lamp was a little too much for your comfort. I'll take a look and make sure they are all operating as they should be. We hope to see you back on a future trip from Washington. Best regards, Neal Wasserman
Sao Paulo, SP
“Very nice restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

We stopped by chance at this restaurant and it was a great surprise. Nice place, great service, very good food.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank STIM_Brazil
GrandeColonial, General Manager at NINE-TEN Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear STIM_Brazil: So happy to hear that you were able to stop by NINE-TEN during your recent visit from Brazil. You certainly traveled a great distance and deserve a great meal with great service and I'm glad that your experience with us was just that. I hope the next time you visit the States, you'll stop by for another meal. Meanwhile, thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor. Sincerely, Terrence Underwood, General Manager