“Quaint and comfortable”

Ranked #3 of 4 La Jolla B&B and Inns
Dundas
“Quaint and comfortable”
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

We are currently staying in the 2 bedroom and 2 bath Ocean Ridge Cottage. The unit is excellent and the location superb. Very close to beach and lovely ocean walks. What an amazing find. It's another hidden treasure.
Very quiet area of the city.

Highly recommend!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brian L
David R, Manager at Redwood Hollow - La Jolla Cottages, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thank you for highly recommending us! I love the location too; on the main street that runs through downtown La Jolla yet still away from all the commotion. Walking to the beach, restaurants, and shops is always a plus when you're on vacation. Leave the driving at home when you visit our beautiful cottages.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 22 February 2014

La Jolla in the wintertime was fantastic. The weather was great and the location of this property is close to the downtown La Jolla area and the beach. The accommodations are quaint and the new owner is putting in some renovations that are sprucing up the place. The front desk woman, Fayedray (probably mispelled) was very helpful with answering our questions and stopped to help recommend some local places for great food. There was construction going on and a lot of activity but she stopped and helped us and always had a pleasant smile and demeanor. I look forward to returning here again and seeing the progress in the remodeling that is in flight. I would definitely recommend this for a place to stay within walking distance of the beach and downtown La Jolla.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GoZags2014
Thank you for your wonderful feedback. The weather during the winter season is very nice, the streets are quiet, and the ocean is as beautiful as ever. The construction has definitely spruced up Redwood Hollow and we are thrilled with the results. I'm so grateful that Phaedra was ever so helpful; you are all so wonderful.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I found this hotel completely by surprise. I used to use Hotels.com for years but after a jarring experience with one hotel I booked through them. Anyhow, I found Redwood Hollow entirely on my own. My husband and I spent five nights there. I booked the studio, Whispering Sands, which had a kitchenette. Apparently ('legend' has it that Lauren Bacall was a frequent guest and stayed in our room!).... Humphrey Bogart stayed in the unit next to ours (!) how cute. Whether that story is true or not.. We had a great time. Lovely cottage, extremely comfy. Loads of clean towels and shower amenities. I thought when I was there that I have to write a good review for this hotel when I returned to San Francisco and here I am doing that two weeks upon my return, longing to be there again, walking the two blocks or so to the beach and soaking in the warmth. It was awesome.

Room Tip: They are renovating this facility and trying to preserve its historic charm. I hope they succeed in...
3 Thank Shanti S
I'm glad your stay with us will remain in your heart and hopefully in your experience again. I love the location too! Just pack your clothes, stop by the grocery store on your way here and we have the rest taken care of. Many of our guests enjoy our kitchens so they can whip up a full meal whenever they please. It's a home away from home for our guests here at Redwood Hollow and I look forward to meeting you in the future. Best, Lea
Surrey, UK
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We arrived here from UK, one of many visits to California but our first visit to Redwood Hollow, having booked well in advance; we found that the property had changed hands since our original booking.
It was clear to us that the new owners had taken on a quaint and charming property which was, however, in an extremely run down condition. They recognise this and have set about repair and renovation work as quickly as they can, whilst providing several "quick fix" items to improve guest satisfaction where it's possible. We saw and heard evidence that they have the determination and the know-how to restore Redwood Hollow in a manner sympathetic to its origins and they are prepared to invest to achieve this.
Quick fixes, in the case of the (so far, unrestored) unit we stayed in, included the provision of plentiful good quality linens and amenities, some new furnishings, etc. (and a very comfortable bed, which may well have been new also).
However, until all is finished, we think you should adjust your expectations appropriately, not expect perfection in all things, and not be backward in mentioning any small inconveniences you may find (for example, original wooden slider room doors in our unit were jammed and would not close) - you will find the onsite personnel to be very understanding and receptive, and anxious to please.
To the recent reviewer who criticised the lack of air conditioning we would say, a.c. is not often provided in California coastal properties, particularly the smaller ones - use fans and open the windows!
The only point we feel we should mention as warning to first-time bookers is that parking is very restricted, only about 3 spaces between all the cottages; but there is normally no problem in the unrestricted street parking immediately outside. Help is willingly given to move bags if you need.
If you want modern glitz, don't come here...if you want a delightfully quaint and beautiful spot, do come, and we hope to return in future

Room Tip: Choose room carefully, ask for remodeled one if you think you will be better pleased.
3 Thank usaphile
Thank you for your wonderful feedback. We are happy that you have noticed and enjoy the improvements we are making as new owners of Redwood Hollow. Any accommodations our guest request that we are able to provide, we are happy to do so. It will be great to meet you in the future and you can really see how far we have come since your most recent stay. Take care and best wishes to you and your family.
kansas city
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We always look for unique lodging, preferably with a view, for a reasonable price. Redwood Hollow cottages do not have a view, but are very unique. We opted for the studio cottage, the least expensive. Upon arrival, we were upgraded (for 2 nights out of 3) to Hidden Haven, a 2 bedroom cottage, due to construction blocking our studio. Hidden Haven was huge for 2 people, but we enjoyed the king bed, large living room and outdoor patio. The third night was spent in the studio, with a queen bed, and a small couch, large kitchen and large bathroom. Wifi was barely adequate, we like to listen to a jazz station on the laptop, which the wifi was unable to support. The ocean is just a few blocks away, and downtown equally close. Staff was friendly and helpful.

1 Thank kct57
I am pleased to announce that each of the cottages has been updated with it's own personal phone line as well as wifi network. Being so close to the beach, the reception can be disturbed, but our upgrade has proved satisfactory for our recent guests. Come stay with us in the future and your music will be up and playing in no time.
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Its like the enchanted forest @ the beach. You can hear the waves at night when you are sleeping. The new owner is making great renovations which in my opinion, the property is perfect the way it is. I feel like I am in a cabin in the woods but by the beach. There are many coffee shops, restaurants and shops within walking distance. Its not like a 5 star hotel with a corporate atmosphere. Its privately owned and a very private get away. I give it 5 stars!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank ruby w
Thank you for your wonderful response; I give Redwood Hollow five stars too! We are so close to the beach, restaurants, and shops that I take a walk into town nearly every day. Most hotels aren't surrounded by plant life and I am so grateful that we are an exception. The lush greens offer life to the property and a feeling of abundance that is overwhelmingly beautiful. We hope to see you again.
STOCKTON
Reviewed 3 October 2013

This place is beautiful, close to the beach and town. It seemed to have everything I was looking for and more in terms of logistics. It is a very lovely location, it just needs more TLC. We arrived late and were lucky to have found a parking spot because it is limited and finding parking on the street is not easy. We had a back cottage, Beach Haven studio and cottage, which was clearly a former garden shed, still it was ok. My biggest issues were that the shower curtains had a lot of mold on them, which was an issue on several levels, one my child has a severe allergy to mold and that needed to be addressed and they did, but why were they not changed after the last people were there? The place seem a bit run down, even keeping in mind the historical aspect.
I also thought it was not ok to have us clean up the linens etc. for the price of the rental.

All in all it was a nice, quiet, location, I would like to try it again but in a different cottage. The little tiny cottage they had was a great place for my daughter to play in and having the private courtyard was fantastic.

Room Tip: I would not recommend the back cottage.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank OLGA P
David R, Manager at Redwood Hollow - La Jolla Cottages, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Thank you for your review! Since your stay with us we have made many improvements to the Beach Haven studio cottage. We have replaced the shower curtains and liners in all the cottages and have upgraded the bedding, linens and interior décor. Beach Haven received a brand new king size posturepedic mattress this past weekend and we are planning to add a full kitchen in the near future. I apologize about the allergy related issues and hope that our prompt response to your concerns satisfied your needs. As new owners of the property, we are constantly updating and upgrading each of the cottages. Again, thank you for your review and we would love to have you stay with us in the future.