“Reasonably good quality you'd expect in Roy's”
Review of Roy's

Roy's
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #89 of 1,236 Restaurants in La Jolla
Price range: US$10 - US$50
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Nobel Drive (University Town Center's Costa Verde Shopping Center)
Transit: Bus stop within walking distance
Chicago, Illinois
“Reasonably good quality you'd expect in Roy's”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

This was a good choice tonight for a satisfying non-stuffy seafood meal. I expected a bit more given their high pricing, and would go elsewhere for a finer dining experience (ambiance, attentive/capable waitstaff, more interesting flavors).

My wife and I had:
- appetizer: braised short rib dim sum * fine
- appetizer: fried calamari * fine
- seared sea scallops with seared pork belly *** this was good, I'd have this again
- butterfish ** good
- cold saki flight * fine

Escondido, California
“Highly Recommend For That Special Occasion”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

First of all, I can't say enough about the level of service we enjoyed. My wife chose Roy's for her birthday and upon calling for reservations she was asked if anyone in her party was celebrating a special occasion. Every employee we contacted, from the hostess to the on-duty manager, personally acknowledged my wife's special day. A printed, personal birthday wish was inserted into her menu and our photograph was taken to memorialize the event. As a final touch, our server presented my wife with a small dessert consisting of a Macadamia nut torte with fresh berries.

The food was as great as the service. I dined on an almond crusted Mahi-Mahi with lobster cream sauce, potatoes and asparagus and my wife opted for the Butterfish (Alaskan Rock Cod) with rice and Bok Choy. Both selections were delicious. The Butterfish was aptly named as it almost melts in your mouth.

Happy Hour at Roy's is from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. and features appetizers and drinks, including specialty cocktails, for $6.00.

1 Thank sceneisle
San Diego, California
“Great ambience, yummy food”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I've been to Roy's twice now, but my visit this month (April 2014) followed a long break as my first visit was some time in 2007. I thought parking would be more stressful--there are a lot of compact spots on the main level of the parking lot and the rest is valet--but if you go into the parking garage, there is plenty of parking.

I remember the food being quite tasty but on the expensive side; the first time I went there, I ordered off the prix fixe menu, but this time, my friend and I sat at the bar and ordered bar drinks and food. Unfortunately, we had just missed happy hour, which was from 4:30-6:30, but the bar prices were still a good $10-$20 cheaper than the regular menu so I wasn't complaining. The food was indeed tasty. I had the blackened cod on butter lettuce and my friend ordered the fried chicken; we were able to share both plates. We were holding out for dessert; I had the chocolate mousse and she had the apple tart. I think I'd had the mousse my first visit there and it was as delicious as I remembered it. Our drinks were pretty good too and competitively priced given the area.

Service was very good too. Our waitress was very attentive and pleasant. Hopefully I won't wait 6-7 years to go back again!

San Diego, California
“An Evening in Paradise!”
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

Im from Kona and a huge fan of Roy's in the Islands! His restaurant in La Jolla was just as fabulous!! Kahlua Pig ravioli was smoking yummy but my Miso Butterfish was just like home.. Cooked to perfection with grilled bok choy made my day! Ice cold cocktails, steaming plates of delicious food made my birthday dinner perfect! Topped off with the most delicious Lava Cake a chocoholic could ask for ... This girl was in Heaven! Mahalo Roy ! Surely made my day! Went back for Happy Hour!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank CorkyMata
San Jose, California
“Great food and service”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

My husband and I ate here to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Being born and raised in HI, it has become a tradition to always celebrate at Roy's. We made sure to order from the chef specialities menu and it did not disappoint. Everything we ordered was delicious. It almost felt like we were home again!

Visited February 2014