“Excellent version of Roys”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Roy's

Roy's
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #89 of 1,240 Restaurants in La Jolla
Price range: US$10 - US$50
Cuisines: Hawaiian, Seafood, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Nobel Drive (University Town Center's Costa Verde Shopping Center)
Transit: Bus stop within walking distance
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Excellent version of Roys”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Had a perfectly wonderful dinner there last night with my wife. Only a few nits knock this from a 5 to a 4 maybe a half star less would be better. The wine we picked is a favorite but had to be looked for in this excessively red heavy wine list. Fess Parker Chardonnay 2013 though the wine list had it at 2012 and there is a difference between these two wines having had both. The bottle at $48 was more affordable than two wines by the glass apiece or 2 cocktails apiece.
The food was great lobster pot pie for my wife and scallops and pork belly for me. Appetizer of Ahi tuna roll OK.
Service was great once we were seated though it took 20 minutes to get seated for our 6:45 reservation. That did not make me feel warm and fuzzy at the beginning of the meal.

My biggest nit is the wine list. Very poorly designed with way to few west coast wines for a west coast place and way more red than whites for a place that mostly sells fish. Yes, I know you can drink reds with fish but my general feeling there is Pinot Noir and all of their Pinots were the heavier dark style not good fish matches. So, for a place this expensive and tending towards elegance, they need a better wine manager for the franchise.

Dallas, Texas
“A Very Pleasant Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Excellent quality, as always at Roy's, with exceptional attention to every detail of our visit.
Our first time at the La Jolla location, having been to Maui and Plano many times, was perfect! Eating out quite often, it was a pleasure to be served by a staff who was sincerely happy to serve us. The Misoyaki Butterfish is a favorite, my husband loved Roy's Trio, (Salmon, Mahi Mahi, Butterfish) after our seared Ahi Appetizer, which was presented beautifully!
Robert L., our waiter, was cordial and quietly attentive. We appreciated Sid Pelaez' personal attention to our table during the evening. It will be a difficult choice next time to choose either the heavenly Chocolate souffle or the intriguing Pineapple upside down cake!

1 Thank GlobalgrandmaTx
Yorba Linda, CA
“Excellent Of Course - It's Roy's!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

My wife and I eat at every Roy's that we can. The La Jolla store is excellent. Excellent service and food. My wife had probably the best Roasted Macadamia Nut Crusted Mahi Mahi she has ever had. Since she does not eat shell fish, she always substitutes the Togarashi sauce in it's place. Of course, we ended the meal with the chocolate souffle....which is a must. I highly recommend Roy's for a great meal.

San Diego, California
“Roy's is delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I tried them the first time during restaurant week and was not that impressed. The drinks were very good, but the meal was kind of eh. My mom and I decided to give it another go for dinner one night while we were looking for something a little different. We sat in the bar area and couldn't decide what to eat. We decided on the butterfish lettuce wraps, and our server said they were very good. Well sure enough... they were amazing!! These are the best lettuce wraps I've ever had and we ended up ordering two orders of them lol. We weren't sure what to expect but the lettuce wraps are a piece of miso fish on a small bed of noodles with vinaigrette. I would definitely go back!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank cdoyle8
New Orleans
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

This was an absolutely delicious meal. The food was top notch and the service and ambiance was excellent. I had shrimp salad and short ribs. The ribs were fork tender. I would definitely recommend an evening at Roy's.

Visited June 2014