“Great location and big room”

La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites
Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived at the La Jolla Cove Suites. The room was large with a separate bedroom, living room, and kitchen. The living room opened to a balcony where you could see the La Jolla cove, a phenomenal view. The breakfast in the morning was convenient and in a room on the deck which had more views. This was a great place to stay.

We have a 3 year old and she loved the space to play in the living room while we relaxed.

I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony that has the cove view, I would recommend the annex building.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

I made a reservation about 6 weeks in advance for an "Oceanfront Queen Studio Suite". When we arrived we were given a terrace room. I immediately complained that this wasn't what I booked. A room overlooking the deck which had a loud wedding in progress. We could hardly see the ocean-it wasn't even a good room in the terrace section. We were told the hotel was sold out and sorry we couldn't give you another room. We considered leaving and I wish we had. It was no where near satisfactory. When I called several days later and talked to a "manager" she said sorry, you booked the terrace room. I told her I absolutely did not book that room. I live in San Diego, I was there as an ADA Relay volunteer, and I would never just book a room. I have my paper with the conf # and the words "oceanfront queen studio suite". When I reserved it we discussed whether I wanted a room with the bed having the oceanfront view.
Yes, I did get a discount on the room rate but I assumed I was getting what I had asked for. As I said, I live in San Diego, I would have NEVER paid even $150 plus tax and parking for a room like that.
Almost as disappointing, was talking to the manager who seemed to care less.(Cathy???) I wasn't even asking for anything. She blamed me for reserving the wrong room and said "you only paid $150 and that a terrace room is a ?$$$ room". Incorrect and beside the point.

Room Tip: rooms do not look like internet photos. find out if there is a wedding or other party on the terrac...
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We left relatives in Santa Ana for couple day anniversary get away. Lajolla Cove Suites is a hidden treasure and great value. Across street from park and Cove to see snorkelers and seals. Breathtaking, ample breakfast on the rooftop. Beautiful view from our balcony. This location is great, close driving to several beaches and San Diego. Nice pool and jacuzzi across parking lot and up steps. We asked the front desk for recommendation for dinner. He said walk over one bldg, go up steps. Walked up bluff stairs about 50 and entered a new street loaded w/ exclusive, jumping stores and restaurants. I did see hotel on Hotel Impossible, so fun to stay at place we saw on tv, don't see what the complaints are. Can't say enough, Lajolla and lajolla Cove suites was very cool and fun!

Room Tip: Newer comfortable beds.
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Pictures shown on internet looked nothing like the room that we were given. The night we were there it was 80 degrees and there was no air conditioning in the room we were given, room was on the back of the building on the third floor. the parking lot was down 2 floors and directly across from the fourth floor on the other side of the parking lot was the swimming pool and outdoor area, so in other words we were in a canyon that had no air flow, loud from parking lot, pool etc , was small and not updated as pictures on the internet were. There was no way I would have been able to sleep in that room, for numerous reasons.

The front desk tried to charge up an additional $78 to "upgrade" to an air conditioned room. After
long negotiations we were finally given an air conditioned room, it was a larger room that we had reserved and that was the reason they needed to charge us extra. I did not need a larger room, but I did need a clean updated air conditioned room. I would never reserve a room that was not air conditioned if it was advertised that way. They did offer to bring in a portable air conditioner and install in the room, which they did, but the room was so small it took up all the floor room on one side of the bed and the air blew directly on the head of one side of the bed. An uacceptable alternative.

Location is great but not much else positive I can say about our experience.

Room Tip: do not take a room on back side of hotel...........only accept an updated air conditioned room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Edward L
Susan S, General Manager at La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Dear Edward L, please accept our apology for your inconvenience and dissatisfaction during your recent stay here at the La Jolla Cove Suites. It appears there was a miscommunication with our team on the specific accommodations you wanted reserved versus what was reserved. I am pleased we resolved it for you while you were still here with us. Our pictures on our website are the exact rooms here at the hotel, and we have made sure we have photos of both our deluxe
suites with their oceanfront views, and our more economical accommodations that have an inside courtyard view. In San Diego, our weather blesses us with the convenience of not having to have air conditioning, but as you mentioned for our guests who desire it, our portable units we provide at no charge is appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us, we strive to create a wonderful experience for all our guests, I am so sorry we did not for you.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

The best location in La Jolla. Stayed on the 4th floor in a studio bedroom. It's not luxury but very clean, with a great view. If one wants to spend their whole vacation in a hotel room maybe they should go to a more upscale expensive hotel! We will definitely stay there again. My only complain is the $20 parking fee to park at the hotel's premises.

1  Thank fotomoto
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We are very active 50+ year olds. We leave early and come back late. The coves were in a beautiful location and we were right smack in the middle facing the water. Very nice. Room was a little pricey but La Jolla in general was pricey. My one complaint with the room would be that the shower tub was so small it wasn't comfortable. Otherwise it was fine. The help was nice and breakfast was nice. I think La Jolla was a little quiet and a little hoity toity for our tastes and next time we may go down to the bay or PB! But back a bit from the boardwalk. That's where all the good bars were. In la jolla bars were closing at 11. It was maybe off season? Sept 19?

Room Tip: Face the water
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We stayed in one of the two bedroom/two bath suites and while the amenities were comprehensive (full kitchen with dishes and cutlery, etc) the condition of the property left much to be desired. Painting and thorough cleaning were badly needed as there was a layer of dust on most surfaces. The exhaust fan in the bathroom was horrendously loud. The breakfast options were severely limited - no yoghurt was available to accompany the items offered. The coffee machine had the distinction of producing the worst beverage I have ever tasted. Location is ideal, of course, but the property was a disappointment. One positive was the fact that the wedding reception on the rooftop adjacent to the 'breakfast' area ended promptly at 10 p.m. so any concerns we had about being kept awake were without basis.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Susan S, General Manager at La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Anthony H, thank you for taking time to share your thoughts regarding your recent visit to our property, and I apologize we fell short of meeting your expectations. Your suggestions are appreciated very much. Our breakfast options are intended as a limited continental only offered as a complimentary courtesy for our guests, although we do offer homemade waffles daily, which our guests enjoy. Our coffee is a nationally recognized brand, but I will personally look into what we can do to improve it. Being located 200 feet from the ocean, we are on constant vigilance to maintain our physical upkeep, so we have a fulltime staff of painters painting daily! We accept your comments as a vehicle to assist us in enhancing our guests experience with us, thank you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near La Jolla
Pacific Beach
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 278 in San Diego

Been to La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!