“Heaven”

Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
San DIego
“Heaven”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I love to sit on the balcony and people watch as I sit and sip on a nice glass of wine ... the best place to just relax when you need to decompress ! and the continental breakfast in the morning over looking the ocean is a fabulous !

Room Tip: ask for a room over looking the ocean.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank SanDIegoTravelinfool
LaJollaCoveSuites, Manager at La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear SanDIegoTravelinfool,

Thank you for your review! We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Our oceanfront balconies are definitely a great place to relax! We look forward to seeing you again!

Tracy White

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
AZ
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We decided to try La Jolla Cove Suites again this past week, after a 7-year break from it. I had read a few recent reviews about LJCS and it seemed like they might have improved in some areas. Since we love the Cove area, we decided to give it another try. The previous time we stayed here (2007) the noise was irritating, smoking on suite patios was tolerated by the management and the property and furnishings were extremely outdated. This time we requested a corner room in the annex building, top floor. We arrived and found that we were given the top floor, but not a corner room. We thought this was OK since we were given the top floor. Within two minutes of getting into the room someone from the front office called to see if everything was OK. I told them the room looked good, but I would have to call them back once we had a chance to settle in. Within five minutes we began hearing a lot of noise in the suite next to us. The insulation is bad in this hotel. We soon learned that our next door neighbors were having many visitors over for the day (and late into the night).
When I called back to let the front office know how things were going, I told them how noisy it was next door and I was very concerned about it. I asked if perhaps another suite would be available for us that day or the next day. The front desk lady said she did not think there were any other rooms available for us, but she would have the manager call us back shortly. After an hour and a half went by I decided to call again to check on a different room. This time I talked to a manager who knew nothing about our previous phone call. She did say, however, that there were no corner rooms available that night. OK, I told her we would try staying the night and I would let her know the next day if we were going to continuing staying here, depending on the noise situation next door. The manager said she would call the people in the next door room that were making all the noise. The noises next door continued late into the night plus there was so much smoking on the next door patio, we could not enjoy our own balcony. The balconies are extremely close and the dividing wall between them does not extend out far enough to allow any privacy. Cigarette smoke was also coming into our suite through what we determined must be the electrical outlets!
The noise and smoking continued all evening. At one point (around 10:30 PM), I happened to see five people noisily leaving that suite, but the partying continued on the patio. Just after 11 PM I called the front desk to complain again about the noise. I was told they would have security go over to the room to check on things. I never heard anyone from the hotel go next door to check on things. The hotel front desk person assured me they have a strict NO SMOKING policy that extends to the entire property. Hmm. The LJCS hotel website has a nearly 500-word section in their policies about no tolerance for parties or smoking and it lists all the consequences that will occur if someone dared to challenge them on it. The bottom line is that it appeared to us that no one did anything about the problems we reported. In the morning we observed cigarettes and lighters on the patio tables next door.
The only good thing to come out of our experience here is that the manager let us out of our 4-night reservation. We left after staying just one stressful night here. We were extremely disappointed in the total disregard of our concerns and their own “policies” by the management of this hotel.
Note: when I originally called to make a reservation, I asked the front desk person if there was any construction going on nearby. The person told me “well, they are just working on the lifeguard station across the street.” I was surprised to find out that in fact, a huge section of the Cove is being redone and there are trucks, noise and workers there much of the day. I would have appreciated knowing about this before reserving four nights here (see attached photo).

Room Tip: Good luck.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Tempe1Traveler
Windy G, Front Office Manager at La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Tempe1Traveler,

Thank you for your recent stay with us at La Jolla Cove Suites and thank you for taking the time to post your comments and rate our hotel. It is a great training tool and we take them very seriously. I will certainly share your survey with our entire team, as we believe it very important for all associates to be able to see how our guests rate their stay with us.

I was quite distressed to hear after speaking with you and addressing the situation earlier in the day that the noise level went on until the late night. On behalf of the staff at the La Jolla Suites Hotel, I want to personally apologize to you for your recent experience. While it is always our goal that our guests have an exceptional experience, based on your comments, we let you down during your stay and in no way was that our intent nor is it the way we want to handle our guest concerns. I know that does not change your experience but I hope that you can feel confident that we heard your concern and are definitely doing something about it.

Once again I want to apologize and hope that you will allow us the opportunity have you as our guest and exceed your expectations.

Travellers are raving about these La Jolla hotels

Epping, NH
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Spent a wonderful 6 nights at the La Jolla Cove Suites - 72 and sunny EVERY DAY! Sea lions harping, scuba/snorkeling day/night, tourists rolling in and out of Scripps Park. A great place to stay - couples or families. Great pool area w/grills and seating. Cozy suites with sink, mini fridge and microwave for quick snacks. Wonderful views from the balcony/street side looking out onto the Pacific over Scripps Park. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat...we were very sad to have to leave such a beautiful place.

Room Tip: Go for the balcony -- worth every view you'll get from it - day or night!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Pepper5105
Windy G, Front Office Manager at La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear Pepper5105,

Thank you for your recent stay with us at La Jolla Cove Suites. We appreciate you taking the time to rate our hotel. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the location of the property and all the wonderful things we have to offer!

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Front Office Manager
Oak Hills, California
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Most of their rooms look awesome from the pictures, but if you try to save money with a good deal at this hotel you'll regret it. They boast 95 percent of their rooms face the ocean, and they do, but if you think "I don't need an ocean view" you'll regret it. The room my girlfriend and I got stuck in was so tiny that only a double bed could fit, a queen never would. The bathroom was smaller than a cruise ship bathroom. Sitting on the toilet you could bump your knee on the sink, and the shower was big enough for one person to stand under the water. There was no room to move about. We were also located directly outside the elevator. The doors lined up. So I complained and they moved us away from the elevator. Would have been 150 to upgrade to a room facing the ocean. Second room had a nice bathroom at least, but the curtains were so thin for the windows that faced the walkway we had to keep the black out shades drawn so that people couldn't see into out room.

There was no fridge or microwave so we couldn't bring left overs back from restaurants. I knew there was no air conditioning so I brought a fan, it wasn't hot anyways.

The location was amazing though. So much to do within walking distance. And so many places for breakfast lunch and dinner as well as desert. Their complimentary breakfast was okay. Just waffles and cereal, rooftop view was awesome. We went up there at sunset with our wine and ice cream and enjoyed it.

The service was what sort of killed it. The first guy at least got us a room away from the elevator. But when the hotel was so empty the two weekday nights we stayed I was confused as to why they couldn't just give a complimentary upgrade (I've had a few hotels do that when the rooms are empty, I would have gotten a third night had they done this). We didn't have a do not disturb sign and it took over an hour to get one and I had to ask multiple times. But when my corkscrew broke and I couldn't get my bottle of wine open one of the night guys helped me get it open. Also they snuck in a twenty dollar a night parking, that was absurd because of what I was paying already to just stay two nights in a tiny room.

This place is nice if you wanna spend more money, I took the cheap route and got burned for it. At booking it would have been 25 dollars more a night to upgrade but at the hotel it was 75 dollars more a night.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ersheajr
Jeannie P, Manager at La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Ersheajr,
We are sorry your stay was disappointing. As you mentioned, we do have larger rooms that may have been better suited for you. Our standard rooms (without a view) are meant as sleeping rooms only and are perfect if you will be spending most of your time out in the village or at the beach. We hope that you choose to give us another chance and choose a room with an oceanfront balcony; you won't be disappointed!
Chicago
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Location could not be better, especially with a balcony overlooking the ocean. So nice to watch the sunset with a glass of wine. Certain days we did experience the aroma coming from the direction of the sea lions, but it was not constant and did not impact the overall quality of the stay. We had a small 'kitchenette', really just useful for reheating left overs. The included buffet breakfast was adequate. The room itself was dated, and we did not appreciate the window in the shower to the outside common walk shared with our neighbor. Would recommend it but with the understanding that this is a "value" property and not at all on par in price or quality with the neighboring properties.

Room Tip: Go with an ocean-front balcony - still a reasonable option!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear lmvacation,

Thank you for your recent stay with us at La Jolla Cove Suites and for taking the time to post your comments and rate our hotel. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back soon.

Front Office Manager
Roseville, California
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The place is old and disgusting...the rooms don't have any furniture to sit and relax and converse. Bathrooms are small, old and dirty floors. Too many rules, seems like we were back in grade school by telling us what not to do.You can save your money and stay at a much place.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank bschiveley
Hi bschiveley,
We are sorry you had such a bad experience during your stay with us. As far as our rules, no smoking or no noise that disturbs other guests, they are meant to ensure each guest has a pleasant stay. While we are a vintage property, we go to great lengths to make sure our rooms meet our high standards of cleanliness.
Newnan, Georgia
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

The location is perfect for panaramic views, access to a dining and shopping. The rooms have a retro feel. The smell outside is off putting at first (I did not know about the seals at the time). I would say a strong sea smell. The rooms are expansive with large windows overlooking the gardens and Pacific Ocean across the road. The cookies left by house keeping are awesome, however non were left second night. Service at desk was less that spectacular, not offensive but not interested. All in all I wouldn't hesitate to stay again. The seals are everywhere and the natural surroundings are what make this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Brian S
Hi Brian S,
We are glad you thought the location was perfect and you are right, our rooms do have a retro feel. The smell outside from the cove has not been a problem recently and we are hoping it stays that way! We are sorry the staff last September was less than spectacular however we are very excited about the improvements we've made since then including ongoing training plus the addition of our newest team members. We hope you come back soon to see our progress!
Also consider these accommodations in or near La Jolla
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 278 in San Diego
La Jolla Shores Hotel
#11 of 24 in La Jolla

Been to La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!