“Good location, nice neighborhood”

La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites
Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Arizona
“Good location, nice neighborhood”
Reviewed 17 May 2010

My husband, 18mth old son and nanny stayed in a 2bedrm 2bthrm. Even thought this place is and older I still enjoyed the location and the staff. I am a picky one when it comes to where I stay and was worried b/c of the reviews I had viewed before our trip but all was fine when we arrived. The downside where the way the hotel is set up you can hear everything that goes on outside in the hallways and walls are thin so you can hear when other guest use the restroom or turn on the water. But the view was GREAT and walking distance to some nice places to eat and drink. I would stay here again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
La Jolla, CA
Reviewed 20 March 2010

The mindset for the perfect vacation at this place is...think "Vintage" not Hotel Chain. This hotel class is a Motel - so keep that in mind. I actually live in La Jolla, and when we have family come to visit - we book them into this place. I have also stayed there myself (Fourth of July fierworks right outside your balcony!) This is at least a ten million dollar view and you are in the heart of La Jolla Village. Now - DO NOT stay here if you are looking for the Ritz. Four Seasons does not have a hotel in the Village. Go to The Grand Colonial if you want a quaint, very nice Inn. LJCS allows you to have a small kitchen, go to the beach one minute, shower and walk 3 minutes to a nice dinner (I recommend nine-ten or the no brainer - George's for a splurge, My Place or Piatti for a casual meal. Anything at Girard Gourmet is great (7 minutes) - they start baking around 4 AM, and don't miss Pannikins for a "vintage" pre-starbucks coffee - that is a bit of a hike though....

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
Texas
Reviewed 12 March 2010

I had ruled this hotel out based on the reviews here but wanted something in La Jolla with a balcony with a nice view. I was traveling with my mother-in-law who is a very light sleeper and was concerned about the noise level and all the reviews calling it a dump.

I stay in all levels of hotels when I travel, from hostels to high end, and decided to take a chance since other safer bets in the area were drastically more expensive. I had been to La Jolla in the past, so I knew that the location of the hotel was excellent.

We stayed in room 316, a "mini-suite" that has a separate bedroom and a sleeper sofa in the living room. The living room has a sliding glass door to the balcony with a view of the water that is every bit as awesome as everyone says. Yes, the room looked old and in need of updating, but not as much as I had expected from the reviews here. It was very clean. The sleeper sofa did have a thin and very old looking mattress, but was more comfortable than it appeared. Lying in bed and looked at palm trees made up for the mattress for me but others might disagree.

We did not have issues with noise but this may be because we were there off season and the place did not appear to be very full. Also, we kept the windows closed and ran the small space heaters at night. Noises, like slamming doors or talking in hallways, did appear to carry through the walls and I expect that light sleepers could have issues with this in high season. Street noise could also be an issue if the sliding door is left open for air.

I do not know the quality of the more basic "studio" rooms. I wonder if those are the source of many of the extremely negative reviews?

Breakfast was adequate and served on the roof with indoor and outdoor seating and a gorgeous view. Staff members were very pleasant on the phone and in person. I made my reservation via phone direct with the hotel and they matched the rate that I had found on their website without a deposit (required by the website). Apparently the web site is not "direct" booking.

We were thrilled with our stay. The view and location are absolutely perfect and our room was adequate for our needs. Considering the price, I would absolutely stay there again and recommend the hotel to some friends. I would not recommend it to others that require higher quality and have low noise tolerance but don't be afraid to try this place if you know your own requirements.

• Stayed February 2010
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 23 February 2010

I had my wedding at La Jolla Cove Suites in May. Many guests stayed at the hotel and I stayed the night before the wedding. Yes, the furniture is a little outdated, but the rooms are huge and very clean. You can not beat the location, it is beautiful!! The staff is very nice and professional. For the area, the rates are fantastic! I would recommend the hotel to friends. The wedding was beautiful!!!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 11 February 2010

This is our second stay at La Jolla Cove Suites. My wife and I wanted a change from Pacific and Mission Beach. We found La Jolla Cove Suites and have found a "Great Value" in the middle of La Jolla. Convenience to all the shops and resturants on Propect is a great plus. We loved it so much that we took friends from San Antonio with us to the San Diego (Farmers) Open and they were impressed with the rooms, views, and hopitality of the staff. We usually stay at the Hilton Torry Pines and again prefer the convenience of LCS location. My wife and I would recommend this property to all of our family and friends.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
escondido
Reviewed 28 January 2010

I can summarize my stay in three words: WHAT A DUMP!!!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank travelmaniac163

Travellers are raving about these La Jolla hotels

San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 3 November 2009

This has to be the worse hotel I've ever stayed at. Rude management personnel who would not listen to my plea that the place was noisy, drunks up all night yelling and arguing, and all they could say was, "I'm sorry for your inconvenience." For the money spent, it would have been better for me to stay at a Quality Inn or a Holiday Inn.
The place is over valued, rooms need much upgrading, and the internet was down several times. While the front desk staff came across very sincere and professional. aside from that, my stay was pure horror.

Those of you planning on reserving a room let me ask you to book at La Estancia Hotel which is right up the street, much better as far as accomodations, and room service!!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family