“Great Location, OK hotel, unfriendly staff”
Review of Inn by the Sea

Inn by the Sea
Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed 15 July 2011

Stayed here 6 days, the week of 4th of July with our kids. I agree with most of the reviews: Great location, room just OK, and staff unfriendly. I would have given this hotel a 2 star if it wasn't for location.

First time in San Diego and we found La Jolla a perfect/central location to be a tourist.
Location of hotel is perfect, across the street from dining/shopping, 2 blocks from the beaches/parks, short drive to Pacific Beach, relatively short drive to Zoo/LegoLand/Downtown.

Room size small, bathroom cramped/moldy/old, nice balcony, decor dated, walls thin (we were next to pool/second floor, thus noisy), a/c hard to adjust, carpet old. Complimentary Breakfast got old fast and went across street after two days. Onsite parking $12/night, but hard to find spot, and one evening we were sent off site to park (manager that night was not very nice when I complained). Agree with previous review, front desk unfriendly from check-in to check out.

Positive: Location, Location, Location, Free Wi-Fi !!, free breakfast, heated pool
Negative: Frontdesk staff, Parking, Bathroom, free breakfast

Room Tip: get room away from pool
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank TJstl

Reviewed 4 July 2011

I needed to be in the La Jolla area for 2 nights for a family gathering. I picked this hotel because of availability, location, and because the description said it had air conditioning. The staff at the front desk was unfriendly when we checked in -- barely looked up and clearly didn't want t be interrupted from whatever. When we got to the room, I discovered old grounds and coffeee in the coffee pot -- who knew how long they had been there? A short time later the tissue holder fell out of its cubby hole on the side of the sink vanity onto my husband's foot. I was most disappointed in the lack of true AC and fan option in the (very small) room. The AC and fan only work if the outside temp is above a certain point, which it wasn't (and I gather the heat only works if the temp is below a certain point). We were in the June Gloom range where the AC would not kick on, and neither would the fan. . As a result, the room was uncomfortably stuffy all night. The sign on the "thermostat" said "if you're hot, open a window." But (1) I don't like doing that even at home due to allergies, (2) there was no screen, and (3) the window looked out on an alley parking lot and in La Jolla on a Friday and Saturday night, that meant it was noisey. I won't be back.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mennolly
Reviewed 3 July 2011

I was bitten 6 times by a bed bug! One ( or maybe more came home with me! ) We live about 1 hour from la jolla and love to snorkel! I took my daughter and our best friends. We were pleantly surprised with an upgrade to a partial ocean view! Room 314 and 315! Now I know why! This is aweful and I hope I caught the only one on my duffel and hope there are not more in my home! I'm disgusted!

• Stayed: June 2011
8  Thank Katlinashley
Reviewed 15 June 2011

We stayed for just one night on the spur of the moment on our way to San Diego for a cruise. We were going to stay somewhere else but found this hotel first and as we were exhausted decided that this would do. Boy, were we pleasantly surprised!

We had never stayed at Best Western properties before always choosing somewhere more upmarket. This hotel may be a little dated in decor but the rooms were large with comfortable beds (and thankfully no pillowtop mattress which we hate), flat screen tv, separate vanity from bath room (better for make up, hair etc) good quality toiletries and very quiet. Everything was perfectly clean and in good order. There was plenty of parking easily accessed from the rear of the property.

Breakfast was provided in a separate room out near the pool. It had a good selection of cereals, bakery, yoghurt, fruit etc.

The hotel is centrally located to the village shops and restaurants. It is one block from the beach.

We loved our stay and next time we are in La Jolla we hope to stay longer. We shall also try some other Best Western Hotels due to the great impression made by this one.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank possumpal
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 April 2011

This place was in a good location , just rite for what ever . Me and my wife had such a good time a people are friendly , and the view we had from our room told it all .

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 24 March 2011

We found the location was nice and the hotel was clean but the saff was not very friendly, especially at the front desk. There was also too much noise going on in the morning with the housekeepers raidios. They did not announce themselves when knocking on the door in the morning to come in to clean.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank boat07
Reviewed 4 March 2011

Awesome location, great service and attentiveness - we were traveling with three young children, and we had a great oceanviwe room.

• Stayed: February 2011