If my wife and I had been looking for a luxurious hotel experience we'd have stayed at La Valencia. However, our plan was to spend time everywhere but the hotel except to sleep so we looked for a hotel that met only two criteria: 1) it had to be in the Village of La Jolla within a short walk to everywhere - the ocean, shops on Prospect, Girard St. etc.; 2) it had to be relatively inexpensive.
In that respect, the Best Western Inn by the Sea fit the bill and we were just fine with it.
On the upside:
- Location, location, location. I can't overstate that.
- Friendly and helpful desk staff
- Good cleaning staff. Timely, thorough.
- Breakfast was good.
- Free wi-fi and two bottles of water each day.
On the downside:
- The rate we got was for a first-floor room with a patio. Ours was adjacent to the pool and the breakfast room was next to the pool. Nobody used the pool and we usually left the room before heavy breakfast traffic and noise started so it wasn't an issue for us.
- Other parts of the hotel may have been renovated but ours was not. The room could use fresh paint as could the hallway leading to it. The bathroom fixtures could be replaced. The inside of the dresser smelled a little musty, although we didn't need to use it.
- My wife thought the beds were too hard but I didn't mind them at all.
- The TV is HD capable but the signal is not, and most of the channels are all infomercials anyway.
Neither up nor down: parking costs $12 day and is a hassle, but that's how it is in La Jolla. It's nice just to have a place to park that's not on the street.
Bottom line - would I stay there again? If my needs were the same, sure. I'd also check it out again if I wanted something more, based on people's positive reviews of the renovated rooms, assuming I can get one higher up.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience the sand-swept landscapes and inspired Pacific views of the Inn by the Sea at La Jolla in San Diego, California. Here at our hotel in downtown La Jolla, you’ll find lovely guest rooms, complete with balconies offering coastal breezes and inspired views. Surrounded by beaches, dining options, local culture, and chic boutiques, this Southern California mecca is the premier destination for travelers to the La Jolla and San Diego areas. Take advantage of comfortable, spacious guest accommodations from the hotel that boasts a location in “The Heart of the Village.” Take in the salty breezes as you soak up the California sunshine in one of the most romantic honeymoon destinations. Spend a day exploring local culture, and later on, as the sun goes down, dine at one of our vibrant local restaurants. From morning until evening, La Jolla Village is brimming with all things California. From our perfect location just three blocks from the ocean, to our spacious accommodations designed for vacation comfort to the fullest, The Inn by the Sea at La Jolla is your California travel destination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Inn by the Sea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Plus Inn By The Sea Hotel La Jolla
- Best Western La Jolla
- La Jolla Best Western